Saints v Hibs, Gogic's return? 27/8/22

All in all, a great day out. A wee bit nerve racking for a bit of the second half but we sorted ourselves out and could, possibly should, have had four or five. I think we're starting to see Robbo's vision and the stats show it. Less posession but doing more with it. IF he can improve our strike rate i think we could give someone a helluve beating.

Just home, my youngest boys 10/12 have been watching Saints for a few years now and recently Leeds Utd - they said ‘Watching Leeds beat Wolves and Chelsea was amazing, but watching St Mirren feels like our club’

Several players stopped to let the boys get a picture today which was also special for the boys and easier at Saints than an English club [emoji4]

IMG_1950.jpg

4 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I reckon the new stadium announcer (OK I know he's been here for a while but it was his first solo gig today after Campbell's departure) just got it wrong and read out the wrong figure.

Is there any news you can provide on Campbell’s departure?

I believe as well as stadium announcer Campbell was also the Club Ticket Office Manager.

Has Campbell move on to a better job elsewhere or was he made redundant? I would find it incredible if Campbell left of his own volition as he bleeds black and white. Top guy is Campbell.

If you can’t explain on here, if you can PM that would be appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Just home, my youngest boys 10/12 have been watching Saints for a few years now and recently Leeds Utd - they said ‘Watching Leeds beat Wolves and Chelsea was amazing, but watching St Mirren feels like our club’

Several players stopped to let the boys get a picture today which was also special for the boys and easier at Saints than an English club emoji4.png

IMG_1950.jpg

I’m really pleased they enjoyed themselves. As a former long distance “commuter” to Saints games home and away over 20 years when living way down south I know what that feeling is like.

I think my longest ever journey was a 1,000 mile round trip to see Saints play Inverness Caledonian Thistle when we were pumped 5-0 in the final game of 99/00. And yet we still invaded the pitch and demanded the team and manager back out. That was quite possibly the greatest ever season following Saints. So many memories. So many last minute winners. So many laughs and so many drunken nights celebrating Paisley’s finest football team.

When we win it’s an enjoyable journey back, but any loss means that every mile going back down the road is unbearable.

I’m really pleased they enjoyed themselves. As a former long distance “commuter” to Saints games home and away over 20 years when living way down south I know what that feeling is like.
I think my longest ever journey was a 1,000 mile round trip to see Saints play Inverness Caledonian Thistle when we were pumped 5-0 in the final game of 99/00. And yet we still invaded the pitch and demanded the team and manager back out. That was quite possibly the greatest ever season following Saints. So many memories. So many last minute winners. So many laughs and so many drunken nights celebrating Paisley’s finest football team.
When we win it’s an enjoyable journey back, but any loss means that every mile going back down the road is unbearable.

Like you and many others, we were at that game 0-5 but as you say, nobody cared thankfully [emoji2]

It honestly makes a huge difference driving back after a win but thankfully even defeats bring us back

Anyone who is anyone down here we know ALL know about Saints, it’s not optional [emoji2]

Only our 2nd game this season we usually make about 12 I think

It’s great hearing other people share their Saints stories and journeys, THATS what I enjoy the forum for and obviously my superb predictions to helping Faraway with his bets [emoji4][emoji2]

Happy forum tonight and long may it continue

4 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I reckon the new stadium announcer (OK I know he's been here for a while but it was his first solo gig today after Campbell's departure) just got it wrong and read out the wrong figure.

On the plus side , the new announcer/DJ's tunes were decent. 

Go Buddy Go was the highlight. 

38 minutes ago, munoz said:

On the plus side , the new announcer/DJ's tunes were decent. 

Go Buddy Go was the highlight. 

32 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Can't beat a bit of The Stranglers.:thumbsup

I once saw The Stranglers at a festival of bands from the 1980s at Culzean Castle.  They were the closing act and were brilliant.

Great result, cracking atmosphere, should have scored more. Only issues are down the left when defending, giving far too much space to opposition- we could easily have been punished by Hibs and RC, luckily we weren’t. Secondly, need to work on composure in front of goal. Robinson is doing a great job though

Great result, cracking atmosphere, should have scored more. Only issues are down the left when defending, giving far too much space to opposition- we could easily have been punished by Hibs and RC, luckily we weren’t. Secondly, need to work on composure in front of goal. Robinson is doing a great job though
I think the fact that Tait offers very little going forward, allows the opposition full backs to venture forward more often to support the midfield. Fortunately our midfield, more often than not, helped to prevent too much damage being done.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Although Saints missed at least 3 sitters, it was a bit worrying how much room Hibs had down the wing. Thankfully their crossing was woeful but we really need to convert stonewall chances, our forwards are culpable. Nevertheless, a decent run of form and we ought to make it for in a row against St Johnstone . 

I have the greatest respect for Richard Tait but, for as long as we use him as left wingback, we'll always be open down the left hand side. He constantly gets drawn into the centre of the pitch. We need proper back up for Tanser who is injured more often than I'd like.

13 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Although Saints missed at least 3 sitters, it was a bit worrying how much room Hibs had down the wing. Thankfully their crossing was woeful but we really need to convert stonewall chances, our forwards are culpable. Nevertheless, a decent run of form and we ought to make it for in a row against St Johnstone . 

It's not just the one side it's both it's because we play so narrow I've already been shot down by saying if we play like that against better teams we will get trounced we are basically allowing teams all the possession out wide play like that against Celtic it could be a Dundee utd score.

54 minutes ago, elvis said:

It's not just the one side it's both it's because we play so narrow I've already been shot down by saying if we play like that against better teams we will get trounced we are basically allowing teams all the possession out wide play like that against Celtic it could be a Dundee utd score.

Hate to say this, I agree with Elvis.  The amount of space given to Hibs on both sides ( but especially our left) was concerning . The Hibs LB was pinging crossfield passes all day to their right wing as he knew the man on the receiving end had acres of space and was in no danger of being closed down. 
Would like to see us cut that out , we can’t continue to allow teams such room and hope to deal with their crosses.

14 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Hate to say this, I agree with Elvis.  The amount of space given to Hibs on both sides ( but especially our left) was concerning . The Hibs LB was pinging crossfield passes all day to their right wing as he knew the man on the receiving end had acres of space and was in no danger of being closed down. 
Would like to see us cut that out , we can’t continue to allow teams such room and hope to deal with their crosses.

I agree with all these comments regarding our narrow style of play.

However I don't think it's so much a weakness on the players' part, rather how they are being coached.

I have a seat reasonably close to the dugout and have noticed SR direct the players to take up this shape  and to allow the opposition's wide men this room to begin yet another attack. However, it is difficult to criticise at the moment since we are seeing a reasonable level of success in terms of points won, but like others, I am fearful of what could happen against some of the better teams.

49 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

I agree with all these comments regarding our narrow style of play.

However I don't think it's so much a weakness on the players' part, rather how they are being coached.

I have a seat reasonably close to the dugout and have noticed SR direct the players to take up this shape  and to allow the opposition's wide men this room to begin yet another attack. However, it is difficult to criticise at the moment since we are seeing a reasonable level of success in terms of points won, but like others, I am fearful of what could happen against some of the better teams.

Yes, I agree it’s not an issue with any particular player , quite the contrary - the team seem to be taking instruction and carrying them out to the letter.  
let’s hope our new found teamwork, spirit & organisation has enough in it to see us avoid “ A United “ 🙄😂👍

Is there any news you can provide on Campbell’s departure?
I believe as well as stadium announcer Campbell was also the Club Ticket Office Manager.
Has Campbell move on to a better job elsewhere or was he made redundant? I would find it incredible if Campbell left of his own volition as he bleeds black and white. Top guy is Campbell.
If you can’t explain on here, if you can PM that would be appreciated. 

Campbell has not left as announcer. He has left his job in the ticket office. He's just taking a break. He'll be back shortly.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk