The Humble Pie Thread

No, nothing to do with the band.

Thought I'd give fans an opportunity to declare their mistakes. I know some will never post here as their egos are too big to admit that they may have got something wrong. For others it is a chance to put their hands up and recognise that maybe their criticism was a bit over the top and that they are mature enough and brave enough to admit it. It may well be cathartic :) .

I'll start with Curtis Main. Last season my heart sank when I heard the team lines and knew that Main was starting. I thought we were starting a man down. Even his very brief resurgence at the end of the season wasn't enough to convince me he was worth keeping. However, and I do not know Robinson's secret, Main is a changed man. He has been excellent in all 4 League games so far and I never ever thought I would ever be typing that. Well done Curtis. You proved me wrong.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Thought I'd give fans an opportunity to declare their mistakes. I know some will never post here as their egos are too big to admit that they may have got something wrong. For others it is a chance to put their hands up and recognise that maybe their criticism was a bit over the top and that they are mature enough and brave enough to admit it. It may well be cathartic :) .

I'll start with Curtis Main. Last season my heart sank when I heard the team lines and knew that Main was starting. I thought we were starting a man down. Even his very brief resurgence at the end of the season wasn't enough to convince me he was worth keeping. However, and I do not know Robinson's secret, Main is a changed man. He has been excellent in all 4 League games so far and I never ever thought I would ever be typing that. Well done Curtis. You proved me wrong.

As I mentioned on another thread, I was wanting Brophy in for Main yesterday, as I thought Main was poor against Ross County.

Happy to be proved wrong, if he keeps up the level of performance displayed yesterday.:thumbsup

It was noticeable that he and Ayunga played much closer together yesterday.

16 minutes ago, shull said:

My biggest mistake was in 1968.

My dad said, " do you want to come to Love Street ? "

I said " Aye "

Mostly misery and heartache for the next 50 years .

:)

Aye but then you might have been a rangers fan and not enjoying the intellectual content of this forum 

5 hours ago, exiledfan said:

Aye but then you might have been a rangers fan and not enjoying the intellectual content of this forum 

Good point....  and instead of being miserable most of the time you'd have been up to your knee's in blood  every week  :fishwallop  think of the money you've saved in new shoes socks and trousers covered in blood every week,  not to mention the 4 new Rangers tops a season for the wee yin,  so you might be a lot happier  but a lot more skint 

I think you made the right choice shull  :thumbs2 

1 hour ago, Scott-Leeds said:

My sentiments exactly on both

People creaming themselves over 2 wins and he’s the messiah?

I’m delighted we’ve won and appear back on track, but needs to be judged over a longer period of time

Not thinking he is the messiah but he has improved from being a naughty boy.

Considering I though he was rank rotten last season to now putting in a good shift in 4 games in a row is quite a turnround for me. I can now see how Robinson rated him before. Ayunga would be more likely to be the messiah anyway.

11 hours ago, Sonny said:

I'm the same, pal. My only fear is that it's a little premature. But, I would love to admit that:

1) I'm a dafty for wanting Robinson sacked at the end of last season (though I have resisted calls for him to go this year).

2) I've referred to Main as useless and a donkey, and he appears to have come good.

I was never one to slate Main tbh, and he’s came on bounds since SR took over; one of the early good points. 

As for my thoughts on SR, I said a few weeks back I didn’t think he was the right man & hope he proves me wrong. If/when we pick up some more points against teams we should be looking to compete with… if we do this, then I’ll be back on this thread, eating humble pie for sure. 

in the meantime, there’s been a marked improvement - not just in results but performance too. So, see you, hopefully in a few weeks with a big ‘I’m sorry I was wrong’ 😂

2 minutes ago, Slarti said:
7 hours ago, Rascal said:
My HP moment on SR might still be to come. Last season we won 10 drew 14 and lost 14. I think SR might win 14 draw 10 and lose 13. Top six form.

What about the other game?

I wondered if someone would pick that up. We might lose it. Would still be top six form. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Thought this thread would have been really busy after yesterday.  🙄

Don't be stupid. That would involve many public admissions of being wrong from the infallible.

To be fair, I did speak to Lex in the pub on Sunday and he held his hands up and said he was delighted to be proven wrong so fair enough. :lol:

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Don't be stupid. That would involve many public admissions of being wrong from the infallible.

To be fair, I did speak to Lex in the pub on Sunday and he held his hands up and said he was delighted to be proven wrong so fair enough. :lol:

I didn't want to start naming names but if I did he, bless him, would have been top of the list.  🤣

Last season, I described Curtis Main as the worst St Mirren player i've ever seen.

He brought nothing to the team.

Ran around like a headless chicken.

Couldn't/wouldn't jump. His jump was getting both feet off the ground then pull his knees up. His head got little further from the ground than if he was stood tall.

I found it bewildering that he wasn't got rid of in the summer. Stephen Robinson has done a magnificent job in changing my mind, he's getting loads out of him, clearly knew there was a player in there & we are starting to see him.

Not a bad jump on Sunday to set up that 2nd goal.

Curtis Main, delighted to say, you're doing great this season. Keep it up fella.