Stripped of Stripes

Again I was frustrated and disappointed that we didn't wear our striped jerseys yesterday.  Our 'home' strip is our principle identity and should be worn as much as possible.  What is the club doing?  Come winter, wearing the black jersey is not ideal in a mid-week game at night as players would find it easier to identify, out the corner of their eye, the black and white jersey and white shorts.

St Mirren = BLACK & WHITE STRIPED JERSEY

10 minutes ago, Jockmd said:

Again I was frustrated and disappointed that we didn't wear our striped jerseys yesterday.  Our 'home' strip is our principle identity and should be worn as much as possible.  What is the club doing?  Come winter, wearing the black jersey is not ideal in a mid-week game at night as players would find it easier to identify, out the corner of their eye, the black and white jersey and white shorts.

I think you're over playing this.

The strip that was worn yesterday was, almost universally,  voted a hit.

As for player's not being able to spot each other, we'll, you're having a laugh.

31 minutes ago, Jockmd said:

Jock. I love our black and white stripes and like to see them worn whenever possible. Having said that, the new black away strip is a very natty number and very popular with fans. On your point regarding visibility, I seem to recall that Man U brought out a grey top, wore it once, lost the match and it was never seen again as Sir Alex (no less) felt that it didn’t help players find each other as easily. So - I guess that I can see where you are coming from with that.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

As for player's not being able to spot each other, we'll, you're having a laugh.

Are we playing in the dark this winter because of the fuel crisis?

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Jock. I love our black and white stripes and like to see them worn whenever possible. Having said that, the new black away strip is a very natty number and very popular with fans. On your point regarding visibility, I seem to recall that Man U brought out a grey top, wore it once, lost the match and it was never seen again as Sir Alex (no less) felt that it didn’t help players find each other as easily. So - I guess that I can see where you are coming from with that.

Not if he was wearing a black strip, you wouldn’t!  :)

Isn't it our away kit?, weren't we away?, come on we all know how marketing works, if by further promoting the away kit we make a few extra bob all the better, at home though, different matter the stripes are preferable, having said that, I've never had trouble knowing which team we are no matter what strip we are wearing, I've doubted myself when we've had a winning run but then given my head a shake to make sure.

12 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Isn't it our away kit?, weren't we away?, come on we all know how marketing works, if by further promoting the away kit we make a few extra bob all the better, at home though, different matter the stripes are preferable, having said that, I've never had trouble knowing which team we are no matter what strip we are wearing, I've doubted myself when we've had a winning run but then given my head a shake to make sure.

^^^^^ Way too many commas. :lol:

3 hours ago, Jockmd said:

Unless the cost of electricity is so bad I would imagine we will use flood lights in the dark.  If we need to revert to candles I suggest a new bright pink kit!

Seriously though it's a cracking kit. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Why don't you try reading my post?  I didn't say, 'players not being able to spot each other'.  I said, 'players would find it easier' to see other players.

I am not decrying the black strip, I agree the fans do find it a good strip but putting it to a 'vote' I'm sure the striped jersey would get a bigger one.  The essential reason for having an alternative strip was avoid clashing with the away team's colours and if that is not happening all I'm saying is that we should wear our striped option.

45 minutes ago, Jockmd said:

Why don't you try reading my post?  I didn't say, 'players not being able to spot each other'.  I said, 'players would find it easier' to see other players.

I am not decrying the black strip, I agree the fans do find it a good strip but putting it to a 'vote' I'm sure the striped jersey would get a bigger one.  The essential reason for having an alternative strip was avoid clashing with the away team's colours and if that is not happening all I'm saying is that we should wear our striped option.

Your assuming he reads posts. 

2 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

I've never had trouble knowing which team we are no matter what strip we are wearing.

I did once during the 99/00 season when we were forced to play against Clydebank at Crappilow in Morten strips. 

🤮

1 hour ago, Jockmd said:

Nowadays the strip manufacturer and sponsors demand that home and away strips are worn a set number of times.

Some clubs have different sponsorship for home and away shirts.

The other issue that comes into play is that the referees can demand a change if they “feel” there is a kit clash. Sometimes that might seem odd but if the referee believes our kit clashes with the referee, home/away outfield and also goalkeepers.

I remember in the 70s we used to wear the stripes at Ibrox and Parkhead. We never get that now. 

No referee will ever allow St Mirren & Celtic to wear their traditional home kits against each other but during the good old days it was fine. 3DDBE9D1-16D1-45D0-BE78-91E50E36D9E9.thumb.jpeg.5623826699ebe1cdabe8ab3f9513e383.jpeg475C711E-55E1-45FB-B5D5-7CB696C74691.jpeg.f33608f637ef7e8fdaf19fe222d06c66.jpeg9FDE1341-5500-4C9F-895F-00CC938D55A5.thumb.jpeg.e9be2ef6f0df49aaf5dd3739926e620e.jpeg56E521C5-5F29-4782-BC0D-BA04AB3E21DB.thumb.jpeg.ad0950f86812172349879ea72cc0d4e9.jpeg811C0169-404D-471C-9D99-03BBE9F493B4.jpeg.682022070c050bba2c7c792c1036a3ea.jpeg

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

This would be a real nightmare..............................."Where are ye, I cannie see ANY of ye"

New Everton Home Goalkeeper Kit 11-12 Green Camouflage | Football Kit News

Jordan Pickford is invisible most games anyway!

5 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Exactly. It’s an “away” kit. Hasn’t been called a change strip for donkeys years

11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Number one away kit, according to Sam North: