Heart of Midlothian v St Mirren SPFL PREMIERSHIP 13/1/23

shull

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

In the cold light of day, well it's still dark but you get mt drift, feel really down about the result last night.

It says a lot how far we've come when we're disappointed losing unfairly away to the 3rd best side in the league.

That's two games against them and it's only a slice of bad luck and a lack of composure that's stopped us taking 4 points rather than 1. 

Like most seasons we're lacking a striker who can score goals, and that, with maybe a midfielder who can chip in with a few, is the biggest thing missing for our team IMO.

We're the 3rd WORST scoring team in the league, with none of our players in the top 18 scorers in the league. 

Pity we didn't hang onto Shankland, who wasn't deemed good enough by some of our support. 

Agreed. I’m not trying to be unrealistic. I’m not saying we need Harry Kane or Mo Salah. But even if we had a Thompson/Sutton/Higdon type this season we’d be flying. 
Sadly we could see ourselves drop to 8th today which would feel like a right kick in the haw maws. 

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agreed. I’m not trying to be unrealistic. I’m not saying we need Harry Kane or Mo Salah. But even if we had a Thompson/Sutton/Higdon type this season we’d be flying. 
Sadly we could see ourselves drop to 8th today which would feel like a right kick in the haw maws. 

Ah, Higdon, another who wasn't good enough by some of our support. :lol:

All he did was score goals. :thumbs2

We would be above Hearts in the league if we had a striker who could put the ball in the net. Very unfortunate not to take anything from the game but the players gave their all. Taylor looked OK for a first start. Gogic was fantastic.

Edited by stlucifer

Saw game on Alba and Saints came right into it last half hour but yet again nothing up front. That’s going to cost us a top six place as usual. Hearts were hanging on at the end and they are not a great team by any stretch. Had a couple of nameless teams been denied the penalty we should have had, the papers and radio would be discussing it endlessly. Definitely need to win the cup tie as I think another couple of league defeats are coming up. Why sign another defender when we need a centre forward.? Just asking, like. 

What a difference Gogic has made to the midfield. The man is a machine. Covers every blade of grass all over the park; closes down and wins balls off the opposition more than any player I have watched. Pity it has taken this long to give him a starting place.

And another big shout to Joe who has been immense in the last two games. He will be a great loss if he goes.

https://twitter.com/scottmillar1/status/1614015849672724494?s=20&t=l4vlb8nqRJD_5sLHW4dtCg

Not sure if this is uploaded correctly but HTF is this not a penalty or at the very least checked by VAR, time to scrap this fiasco...

One other thing that baffles me is surely if the ref or the guys working VAR know it came off the defender why weren't we giving a corner at least....

I watched the full match on Alba last night.  I'm so proud of our players who gave their all.  Stephen Robinson clearly puts an emphasis on pressing and stamina in the training drills and it's paying off.

Robert Snodgrass should be ashamed of himself the way he went down.  I'm not convinced there was contact by Keanu Baccus?  If there was, it was very little like his sock rubbing against Snodgrass' sock.

On first viewing in real time I didn't think it was a penalty.  The replays show a different story.  I think it would have been given as a penalty before the World Cup but Referees and the VAR team seem to have thought they were being heavily criticised before the World Cup break and they're trying to give less penalties for handball.  VAR is becoming a lot more complicated than it needs to be, that's just my opinion.

Big Joe has come back in to the team and shown his leadership qualities.

I thought Richard Taylor was better than just ok.  He had a couple of important interventions that saved us.

Alex Gogic, I'm running out of superlatives for him.  He doesn't hide, he's not shy, he leaves every ounce of stamina and energy on the park.  Big Curtis Main is similar, he works hard, keeps trying and gives his all.

43 minutes ago, Warrior Saint said:

Main may be playing well but isn't scoring goals we need as a striker, that is his job and he's not doing it.....not going win games without scoring goals....

Main doesn’t necessarily need to start scoring goals, but if he’s not going to do it, then he certainly needs someone along side him who does. There have been plenty of strike partnerships that have consisted of a battering ram and a finisher. When we signed Main, that’s mainly what I expected from him. However, in his first season he was absolutely garbage in every department. This season though, I think he’s been fantastic. He’s never going to miraculously become a master finisher. We just need to find the right partner for him. 

6 hours ago, Helmettroll said:

https://twitter.com/scottmillar1/status/1614015849672724494?s=20&t=l4vlb8nqRJD_5sLHW4dtCg

Not sure if this is uploaded correctly but HTF is this not a penalty or at the very least checked by VAR, time to scrap this fiasco...

One other thing that baffles me is surely if the ref or the guys working VAR know it came off the defender why weren't we giving a corner at least....

It was checked by VAR but the idiots checking it are the same idiots that have botched these decisions for decades

All VAR currently gives us is assurance that our refs are some of the worst in Europe 

5 hours ago, exiledfan said:

We should have had a pen. Can't understand why not. Refereeing in Scotland is a joke. Not a competent referee in Scotland. 

There are plenty of competent referees in Scotland. 

Personally been very impressed this season with quite a few of the younger refs coming into the Premiership

7 hours ago, Helmettroll said:

I think VAR is here to stay and on balance is a good thing

For me the handball rule is a shambles and is crucifying VAR

5 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

There are plenty of competent referees in Scotland. 

Personally been very impressed this season with quite a few of the younger refs coming into the Premiership

Unfortunately David Munro doesn't appear to be one of them.

To miss the Snodgrass dive when he was about six feet away is incompetence.

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

In the cold light of day, well it's still dark but you get mt drift, feel really down about the result last night.

It says a lot how far we've come when we're disappointed losing unfairly away to the 3rd best side in the league.

That's two games against them and it's only a slice of bad luck and a lack of composure that's stopped us taking 4 points rather than 1. 

Like most seasons we're lacking a striker who can score goals, and that, with maybe a midfielder who can chip in with a few, is the biggest thing missing for our team IMO.

We're the 3rd WORST scoring team in the league, with none of our players in the top 18 scorers in the league. 

Pity we didn't hang onto Shankland, who wasn't deemed good enough by some of our support. 

Jack Ross correctly punted Shankland.

He was overweight with poor attitude. You could see his ability but he wasn't doing the business and Ross had to make a quick decision.

He went to Ayr, sorted himself out with a lot of help from Ian McCall.

The rest is history

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Unfortunately David Munro doesn't appear to be one of them.

To miss the Snodgrass dive when he was about six feet away is incompetence.

Yep i thought Munro looked poor last night also

Apart that is from binning that obnoxious oink Neilson

Edited by lenziebud

20 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Jack Ross correctly punted Shankland.

He was overweight with poor attitude. You could see his ability but he wasn't doing the business and Ross had to make a quick decision.

He went to Ayr, sorted himself out with a lot of help from Ian McCall.

The rest is history

Kristen Dennis is now on 16 goals for the season.  

The rest is history. 

I still live in hope one of our strikers hit a purple patch.