Heart of Midlothian v St Mirren SPFL PREMIERSHIP 13/1/23

shull

49 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Jack Ross correctly punted Shankland.

He was overweight with poor attitude. You could see his ability but he wasn't doing the business and Ross had to make a quick decision.

He went to Ayr, sorted himself out with a lot of help from Ian McCall.

The rest is history

Just shows what some good management can do. 

12 minutes ago, munoz said:

Kristen Dennis is now on 16 goals for the season.  

The rest is history. 

I still live in hope one of our strikers hit a purple patch. 

Thing is with Dennis, he has a manager who understands what he is good at and that is being a right place right time player. He has younger players doing the running either side and all he has to do is be in the box. 

Anyway back to topic, I did think that brophy would have been the answer but considering he isn't injured at moment there has to be huge questions about attitude if he still can't break into the team meaning starting matches.

12 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Thing is with Dennis, he has a manager who understands what he is good at and that is being a right place right time player. He has younger players doing the running either side and all he has to do is be in the box. 

Anyway back to topic, I did think that brophy would have been the answer but considering he isn't injured at moment there has to be huge questions about attitude if he still can't break into the team meaning starting matches.

Maybe the manager just wants him off the payroll 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Doakes said:

We should be having a look at Simon Murray from Queens Park. 15 goals in 21, 7 assists also. Not sure if we can afford him but if we get some budget might be the solution we need 

I've not kept up to date with our youth pool but surely we have at least one able to step up that knows where the goal is. It's one of the easiest decisions to make. If you have strikers on the park that aren't doing the business then bringing a youngster in who has the potential must be an easy choice.

39 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I've not kept up to date with our youth pool but surely we have at least one able to step up that knows where the goal is. It's one of the easiest decisions to make. If you have strikers on the park that aren't doing the business then bringing a youngster in who has the potential must be an easy choice.

Managers often value strikers who will fall back to midfield or even cover in defence as well as those who hold the front line well to avoid losing possession, even if they can't score. I think that is why Alex Grieve comes in ahead of Brophy, not for the goals but for the holding up.  The number one skill for forwards in Scotland, outside of Glasgow, seems to be not losing the ball

Edited by beyond our ken

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

Managers often value strikers who will fall back to midfield or even cover in defence as well as those who hold the front line well to avoid losing possession, even if they can't score. I think that is why Alex Grieve comes in ahead of Brophy, not for the goals but for the holding up.  The number one skill for forwards in Scotland, outside of Glasgow, seems to be not losing the ball

I'd imagine managers value strikers who can score goals. 

No need to over complicate matters. 

16 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Jack Ross correctly punted Shankland.

He was overweight with poor attitude. You could see his ability but he wasn't doing the business and Ross had to make a quick decision.

He went to Ayr, sorted himself out with a lot of help from Ian McCall.

The rest is history

I'd rather we had kept Ross than Shankland. 

Letting him go was a huge error in judgement.

• 2 weeks later...