Fan Owned Football Clubs in Scotland

Rascal

Hearts, Motherwell, Stirling Albion and Saint Mirren in the main leagues. Hearts and Motherwell appear to be prospering financially and rising gates. St Mirren seem to be moving in the right direction but Stirling Albion have had all sorts of bust ups between the fans group and the board. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Hearts, Motherwell, Stirling Albion and Saint Mirren in the main leagues. Hearts and Motherwell appear to be prospering financially and rising gates. St Mirren seem to be moving in the right direction but Stirling Albion have had all sorts of bust ups between the fans group and the board. Thoughts?

I think fan ownership is extremely desirable. There are two problems, as far as I can see:

i) Some fan owned clubs appear to be run by people who have no business acumen, alternatively important decisions may be put to the fans, whose votes may be determined by emotion rather than the financial interest of the club.

ii) Some people have big egos. For example, the fact that somebody has been a founding member of their club's Trust, and have been actively involved in running it, may make them feel they should have a seat on the board. When such people are inevitably passed over for someone with more experience they feel resentful and then will spitefully try to undermine the club at every opportunity.

However, I would like every club to belong to their local community. :) 

10 minutes ago, guinness said:

We are barely can owned.

But “enough”. You put your finger on an issue though and I can see that. Making our particular model work will be testing. @W6ermakes good points, all the more so because of the relationship with co-owners.

Edited by Rascal

On 8/26/2022 at 10:11 PM, Rascal said:

But “enough”. You put your finger on an issue though and I can see that. Making our particular model work will be testing. @W6ermakes good points, all the more so because of the relationship with co-owners.

You have never even supported our fan ownership model. Why is that? Did you miss out on being a Founder member?

7 hours ago, Rascal said:

What makes you say that?

I have no feckin idea how to use the quote function to highlight where you have voiced concerns about SMiSA or that you are not a member which you have repeatedly stated.

See exhibits A, B and C below.

Exhibit A

E35634FA-94B1-4311-BC49-958A1E1B452A.thumb.jpeg.544f71588ae12d50970d1a214314a3d8.jpeg

Exhibit B

72E211DB-1C82-4F4D-8ACC-BAB4B6AF6261.jpeg.b021e6351f2e04833fdb1a3b2dcbf899.jpeg

Exhibit C

FAD7F76A-39CE-4A2C-8363-DB0E22B71F9A.jpeg.308db04243e7a7a38bf5cab85a8e6fac.jpeg

Correct. I chose not to join. I still haven’t.  Nor am I involved in Stirling Albion, Hearts or Motherwell. I wasn’t convinced. I admire those who were.

That Doesn’t stop me taking an interest in how this is faring. For myself I am more than happy to say that as far as Saints are concerned the answer would is better than I thought. The introduction of Kibble into the equation may well be a master stroke that enables faster growth and create a source of investment.

In Stirling, squabbles over the roles of ownership and executive leadership have put their fan owned structure and status under real peril. As I said earlier, Hearts and Motherwell models are successful. 

I can be wrong - big news.