Saint Mirren v Celtic 17 September 2022

Rascal

4 minutes ago, W6er said:

Is this definitely going ahead? Remember, it's the day before the Queen's funeral, so a minute's silence will be appropriate.

Good luck with that given the opposition 🙄

oh & shouldn’t be a problem anyway , Tory Government protocol seems to be that anything goes the day/ night before a Royal funeral.  🍾🎉🍾

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Because of the winter World Cup and midweek European games there are very few dates available for postponed matches. There are no dates before Feb for the Hearts game to be rearranged. Can see us playing Tue and Thurs at this rate if another round of fixtures is postponed and thats before possible winter bad weather.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

https://www.67hailhail.com/news/promising-signs-that-celtic-vs-st-mirren-will-go-ahead-next-weekend/

The Scottish Mail on Sunday [11/09 print edition, back page] reported this morning that it is anticipated that football will return next weekend ahead of that

(...)

“Clubs, for all fixtures up until the funeral, will observe a one-minute silence prior to the game and will wear black armbands as a mark of respect to Her Majesty.”

That’s obviously a separate decision to what the SPFL, English Football League and Premier League may end up doing, but it’s a decent signal we’ll be returning to normality when it comes to football.

53 minutes ago, W6er said:

No reason besides scandalising Scottish football, you mean?

It wouldn't scandalise Scottish football. It will show up one club's fanbase's views which may come across to some as crass and ignorant. I would respect the minute's silence, not through any loyalty to the monarch, but simply because others had. It costs nothing to NOT talk or shout for sixty seconds.

4 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Surely it is equally appropriate for this round of fixtures to be postponed too if this week was deemed to be so. 

Why ?  Golf, Cricket , Horse racing, Motorsport, Rugby League , Rugby Union & even Polo restarted this weekend after a brief period, in some cases it was less than 48 hours after the official statement .

Some organisations and associations have said that they may have to postpone fixtures next weekend as a result of shortage of available policing or emergency services - not as a mark of respect .  They can show respect by minutes silences … or a minutes applause . Plenty of folk clapping during the cortège through Edinburgh today and no one saw any issue with that 🤷‍♂️

By all means cancel just about everything on the day , but before it ?  Nah , not for me …. How far before the event do you cancel things ?  One day ? Two ?  The whole week previous and two days after ! 🤷‍♂️

50 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Why ?  Golf, Cricket , Horse racing, Motorsport, Rugby League , Rugby Union & even Polo restarted this weekend after a brief period, in some cases it was less than 48 hours after the official statement .

Some organisations and associations have said that they may have to postpone fixtures next weekend as a result of shortage of available policing or emergency services - not as a mark of respect .  They can show respect by minutes silences … or a minutes applause . Plenty of folk clapping during the cortège through Edinburgh today and no one saw any issue with that 🤷‍♂️

By all means cancel just about everything on the day , but before it ?  Nah , not for me …. How far before the event do you cancel things ?  One day ? Two ?  The whole week previous and two days after ! 🤷‍♂️

Because Celtic fans will not observe the minute's silence. They will boo and jeer and sing songs like "Lizzy's in a box", as did Shamrock Rovers fans. If the game's televised they will need to cut the microphones, but it will still go viral on Twitter.

Given Celtic are in the CL group stage and maybe the Europa league then the SPFL will do all they can to avoid fixure congestion for them and barring Policing issues i think the game will go ahead as schedules

The World Cup schedule has already impacted the fixtures so not much room in the calendar for rescheduled league games with a full card already wiped this weekend.

Edited by beyond our ken

15 minutes ago, W6er said:

Because Celtic fans will not observe the minute's silence. They will boo and jeer and sing songs like "Lizzy's in a box", as did Shamrock Rovers fans. If the game's televised they will need to cut the microphones, but it will still go viral on Twitter.

So basically , it will show THEM up for what they are, knuckle dragging Neanderthal bigots  .  
Why should that scandalise Scottish Football ?  Liverpool fans regularly boo the national anthem , that doesn’t scandalise the whole of English football 🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, W6er said:

So basically what you are saying is that because one club out of 42 cannot behave ( well, 2 actually 🙄) then all others should be made to miss out ? 

Nah , not having that 👎

Personally, I would have gone ahead with the football programme without interruption bar, perhaps on the day of the funeral itself. As has been mentioned, other sports did function more or less as normal. Having said that I find it strange that we will go for a resumption of the matches before the funeral having already paused them. As it turns out, this is one match that I can’t attend as we have a family event the same day. It wasn’t the same day until the game was changed to the Sunday! @W6er has a point though that we will be involved in a TV game with a high probability of  protest by Celtic fans ( not all of them) exacerbated perhaps by our decision to restrict them to one stand.

@Callum Gilhooley - It appears I have angered you, as you have replied twice to my post.

It should only be Celtic that are scandalised, though that may depend on how other Scottish clubs' fans react. You must remember there are a lot of republicans in Scotland (mostly, but not exclusively Scottish nationalists). Hearts fans didn't observe the silence, because one idiot shouted "f**k the Queen" and that elicited a chorus of boos and, I believe, a rendition of God Save the Queen or something similar.

As for Saint Mirren's game on Sunday, it shouldn't reflect badly on the club depending on how our own fans behave and also whether the reporting is fair. For example the media could cover it briefly:

"There was fury today after a minute's silence for the Queen, held before the match between St. Mirren and Celtic in Paisley, was disrupted, with fans singing and jeering throughout."

Some English guy Down South: "Bloody Scots! Animals the lot of them. Bloody well give them their independence and build a fifty foot wall along the border..."

8 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

My thinking was around the unfairness of not being able to play a winnable game against Hearts when other sports played on but it is ok to get humped off Celtic the day before the funeral. To my mind neither should have been postponed but the day before the funeral is I think more appropriate to drop as a mark of respect rather than an arbitary blanket postponement of the whole programme on the saturday between her death and the funeral but allow other fixtures to take place.

9 hours ago, Rascal said:

Personally, I would have gone ahead with the football programme without interruption bar, perhaps on the day of the funeral itself. As has been mentioned, other sports did function more or less as normal. Having said that I find it strange that we will go for a resumption of the matches before the funeral having already paused them. As it turns out, this is one match that I can’t attend as we have a family event the same day. It wasn’t the same day until the game was changed to the Sunday! @W6er has a point though that we will be involved in a TV game with a high probability of  protest by Celtic fans ( not all of them) exacerbated perhaps by our decision to restrict them to one stand.

Agreed. There was  ,in my view, no logical reason to postpone last weekends games . Given that the games  actually were postponed it would be illogical for next weekends games to go ahead much as I want them to. No games on the day of the funeral would have been perfectly respectful and adequate . SFA and SPFL have screwed up and they probably know it.

9 hours ago, W6er said:

@Callum Gilhooley - It appears I have angered you, as you have replied twice to my post.

It should only be Celtic that are scandalised, though that may depend on how other Scottish clubs' fans react. You must remember there are a lot of republicans in Scotland (mostly, but not exclusively Scottish nationalists). Hearts fans didn't observe the silence, because one idiot shouted "f**k the Queen" and that elicited a chorus of boos and, I believe, a rendition of God Save the Queen or something similar.

As for Saint Mirren's game on Sunday, it shouldn't reflect badly on the club depending on how our own fans behave and also whether the reporting is fair. For example the media could cover it briefly:

"There was fury today after a minute's silence for the Queen, held before the match between St. Mirren and Celtic in Paisley, was disrupted, with fans singing and jeering throughout."

Some English guy Down South: "Bloody Scots! Animals the lot of them. Bloody well give them their independence and build a fifty foot wall along the border..."

Angered me ? Really ?   😂. Not at all, it’s simply called a discussion 🤷‍♂️