Saint Mirren v Celtic 17 September 2022

Rascal

I have absolutely no problem with people who don't believe the monarchy is a just and relevant institution not holding with the silence, I agree with them but will stay silent in deference to my fellow buddies who dbelieve otherwise, but wouldn't it be great if the just continued with their normal conversations? I doubt that will happen though.

Edited by stlucifer

59 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I have absolutely no problem with people who don't believe the monarchy is a just and relevant institution not holding with the silence, I agree with them but will stay silent in deference to my fellow buddies who dbelieve otherwise, but wouldn't it be great if the just continued with their normal conversations? I doubt that will happen though.

I believe in freedom of speech and expression, and therefore I obviously do not believe a minute's silence should have to be observed by those who don't agree with it, hence I have defended Celtic fans' RIGHT (not their behaviour) to disrespect silences for Remembrance, etc.

At the end of the day, if people are forced to observe these things, then there's no point in having them - as they'd not be a mark of respect, but rather observed out of fear of arrest. That's the kind of thing you'd have expected under Stalin, or in North Korea.

The same goes for anything - 'taking the knee', LGBT or Show Sectarianism the Red Card. Folk should not ever be forced to comply with this stuff.

What I would suggest is Celtic fans, or Republican Saints, stay in the foyer until it's over and then emerge and take their seats. Then they're not observing it, but not disrespecting it. Then again, the argument is: if you feel that strongly about it, this is an opportunity to make your voice heard.

Anyone remember the fiasco when Hearts fans disrupted a minute's silence for the Pope? That was considered Sectarian. Nonsense.

Personally, I'm considering taking a Royal Standard with me. :) 

10 hours ago, W6er said:

I believe in freedom of speech and expression, and therefore I obviously do not believe a minute's silence should have to be observed by those who don't agree with it, hence I have defended Celtic fans' RIGHT (not their behaviour) to disrespect silences for Remembrance, etc.

At the end of the day, if people are forced to observe these things, then there's no point in having them - as they'd not be a mark of respect, but rather observed out of fear of arrest. That's the kind of thing you'd have expected under Stalin, or in North Korea.

The same goes for anything - 'taking the knee', LGBT or Show Sectarianism the Red Card. Folk should not ever be forced to comply with this stuff.

What I would suggest is Celtic fans, or Republican Saints, stay in the foyer until it's over and then emerge and take their seats. Then they're not observing it, but not disrespecting it. Then again, the argument is: if you feel that strongly about it, this is an opportunity to make your voice heard.

Anyone remember the fiasco when Hearts fans disrupted a minute's silence for the Pope? That was considered Sectarian. Nonsense.

Personally, I'm considering taking a Royal Standard with me. :) 

There was a lot of anti royal noises at Tynecastle when they tried the minute's silence at half time during the European tie.

The huge majority of Celtic fans who participate in these actions only due so because they support Celtic and that’s what they do , how many have served in the forces ?, it will be a good few or they will not even be tim’s , same as the other half they only do this British god save the Queen/ king thing because they support that mob some of them are even tim’s.😊

Edited by linwood buddie

I would still have preferred that the match be rescheduled following on from the Hearts cancellation. Folks of my age who were in the cubs, scouts, brownies, guides or BB’s were taught to respect the Queen. I think that went wider - we were taught to respect people from all walks of life and backgrounds. The idea of not respecting a minutes silence or applause would not have occurred. 

Free speech and freedom of expression are vital however and respect for this should also be given. There will be those who do not wish to participate in a minutes silence at the match. As has been suggested, they simply need to stay outside until the minutes silence has elapsed and then enter. I saw a fan protest in Rome where fans did not enter to take their seats until a prearranged time. They made their point. 

3 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

The huge majority of Celtic fans who participate in these actions only due so because they support Celtic and that’s what they do , how many have served in the forces ?, it will be a good few or they will not even be tim’s , same as the other half they only do this British god save the Queen/ king thing because they support that mob some of them are even tim’s.😊

Where's @antrin when you need him? ☝️

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're stating that many Celtic fans have served in the armed forces? I agree that many Celtic fans' politics, in this case opposition to the Monarchy, will have been determined by their allegiance to Celtic FC; something I find extremely moronic. However, if I was a pro-Unionist Royalist Celtic fan, I think I'd switch my allegiance either to Rangers, or if that wasn't possible I'd support a non-Old Firm club. I know three former Rangers season ticket holders who abandoned the club after the 2014 referendum on Scottish independence.

it will be a good few or they will not even be tim’s

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Personally, I am happy to support a club like St. Mirren. Though the virtue-signalling over Ukraine and 'taking the knee' annoys me a little.

Anyway, score predictions? I don't want to steal Elvis' thunder, but I think we'll be lucky to lose by fewer than three goals. 4-1, and I'm not sure where our goal will come from. 

2 hours ago, Rascal said:

I would still have preferred that the match be rescheduled following on from the Hearts cancellation. Folks of my age who were in the cubs, scouts, brownies, guides or BB’s were taught to respect the Queen. I think that went wider - we were taught to respect people from all walks of life and backgrounds. The idea of not respecting a minutes silence or applause would not have occurred. 

Free speech and freedom of expression are vital however and respect for this should also be given. There will be those who do not wish to participate in a minutes silence at the match. As has been suggested, they simply need to stay outside until the minutes silence has elapsed and then enter. I saw a fan protest in Rome where fans did not enter to take their seats until a prearranged time. They made their point. 

That's what I would do, if I felt that way. 

Three apostrophes missed, Rascal! 😉 'Minute's silence'...I thought I'd get that in before @antrin does.

52 minutes ago, W6er said:

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're stating that many Celtic fans have served in the armed forces? I agree that many Celtic fans' politics, in this case opposition to the Monarchy, will have been determined by their allegiance to Celtic FC; something I find extremely moronic. However, if I was a pro-Unionist Royalist Celtic fan, I think I'd switch my allegiance either to Rangers, or if that wasn't possible I'd support a non-Old Firm club. I know three former Rangers season ticket holders who abandoned the club after the 2014 referendum on Scottish independence.

Personally, I am happy to support a club like St. Mirren. Though the virtue-signalling over Ukraine and 'taking the knee' annoys me a little.

Anyway, score predictions? I don't want to steal Elvis' thunder, but I think we'll be lucky to lose by fewer than three goals. 4-1, and I'm not sure where our goal will come from. 

Why would you need Antrim? And you don’t understand me correctly, many Celtic , Rangers , St Mirren and other teams fans have served in the army , I know a few , my brother served and a few of his mates supported the old firm..

3 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Why would you need Antrim? And you don’t understand me correctly, many Celtic , Rangers , St Mirren and other teams fans have served in the army , I know a few , my brother served and a few of his mates supported the old firm..

People join the army for many different reasons - some do it out of patriotism, for others it's macho to be a soldier and carry a gun, for others still it's for adventure or to learn a trade. I know many who joined as a young man and feel aggrieved, exploited and guilty at having been made to go and fight in the Middle East conflicts. Some have PTSD.

1 hour ago, W6er said:

Why can’t you be a pro-Unionist, Royalist Celtic fan……I have two friends who are exactly that and they are two of the most sane people I know??

17 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

I suspect we will lose but if we could keep it to 3 or less conceded that would be a reasonable outcome but I have a feeling that we may get something from the game, covering myself there to include 1 point, 3 points or a hiding.

Think most of us know it's the third option.

If Celtic are as profligate in front of goal as they were tonight we have a chance of stealing something. Celtic "gung ho" attitude suits Robinson's tactics. If my if works out then I think our wingbacks will hold the key to our performance, strikers not withstanding obviously. More in hope than expectation though.

Edited by stlucifer

6 hours ago, WeeBud said:

Why can’t you be a pro-Unionist, Royalist Celtic fan……I have two friends who are exactly that and they are two of the most sane people I know??

You can. But, why give money to a club that was founded with Irish Republican principles? If you read any history of Celtic, you will know they flew the Irish tricolour more than thirty years before the creation of the Irish Free State (plenty of books on their history: - I recommend https://www.amazon.co.uk/Old-Firm-Sectarianism-Society-Scotland/dp/0859761215😞

There's nothing stopping you from being a vegan and rearing animals for slaughter, but they're incompatible in principle, aren't they?

Tell your friends to wear t-shirts emblazoned with 'I love the King' to the next home game and let me know how they get on...

Edited by W6er