Free Season Tickets for Primary Schools

15 hours ago, shull said:

He stayed in Springfield Drive opposite Willie Barr's farm.

Different fella.

A lad who lived on Craigton Drive was signed by Partick Thistle, around the late 70's early 80's.

His mum would be scouring the streets around 9:45 pm as a Partick coach would phone their house at 10pm to make sure he was home.

14 hours ago, exiledfan said:

My school was basically a caldron of Rangers fans with a very few saints fans scattered in with the Catholic School a 5 minute walk away being a caldron of Celtic.

Nothing better than being a bud and loving your home town and team. 

Got to say at foxbar primary when I went there, more rangers fans than saints. Would have made my dad ill if I had supported anyone else that saints. Should imagine the same mix would have been with amochrie and brediland primaries too as st Paul's was predominantly celtic but this is passed through generations with certain clubs linked with religion. Quite sad really when you look back at that.

Camphill was no different really until the Murray/Souness bottomless cash pit to success rolled in and many jumped ship.

Oh and then one day in 1987 they temporarily jumped back over.

Back to the original topic anyway, good commercial move by the club imo as most age ranges for this will need an accompanying paying adult. That in turn may increase club shop sales, etc on match days.

Down our way, workington went with this approach last season and my daughter’s one lasts for this season too. My lads on the other hand take turns on using it when we get the chance to pop along as there is no photo on the card season pass. Still bank of dad when we go🥺🥺🥺🥺

Edited by Cumbriansaint72

As good as the offer is, it is only a very small fractions of new fans that we will need in the future. 

Most buds of my age will remember how we started to go , no free ticket but a life over the turnstiles.

Maybe need to ask Kilmarnock how they managed to get about 50% more season ticket holder (5000) than us with the town having around 50% less people living in it. 

5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

As good as the offer is, it is only a very small fractions of new fans that we will need in the future. 

Most buds of my age will remember how we started to go , no free ticket but a life over the turnstiles.

Maybe need to ask Kilmarnock how they managed to get about 50% more season ticket holder (5000) than us with the town having around 50% less people living in it. 

A mix of things Tommy including, perhaps, distance from Glasgow. I have a feeling that these are small but important steps on that route. With a Home Fan Capacity of about 6,400 fans then for us to sell 5,000 season tickets would put us high in the capacity utilisation list.

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

And what a miserable life it has so often been… :( 

…with occasional, outrageously glorious moments of joy!!!   :)

What an excellent idea from St. Mirren Football Club!  This is exactly the kind of thing that could bring future supporters through the turnstiles at St. Mirren Park.

I attended a Catholic Primary School and was the only St. Mirren supporter in my year.  I don't think there was any fellow St. Mirren supporters in the other years.  People that followed football supported Celtic apart from me.  There were never any free tickets handed out.

When I attended High School, they sometimes handed out free tickets for St. Mirren matches but after a while I didn't need to take one as my Dad started buying us Season Tickets.  I became best friends with a fellow St. Mirren supporter who I met in High School and we're still friends and both still go to games, although he goes with his daughter.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:11 PM, faraway saint said:

Funny that, I don't recall any group being one or the other, we just played football every day.

The teams we supported wasn't a big issue in primary school. 

Maybe you went to the same school as shull? 

Why are you obsessed with Shull's school?  Did you go to an Approved School?

The Grammar School was probably split evenly between Saints supporters and Ralson Rangers. There was a smattering of other clubs represented- Dundee Utd, Celtic and probably Aberdeen given the decade. 

Of the Saints supporters in my year, there's probably only about 20 or so that still go regularly to my knowledge. 

41 minutes ago, munoz said:

The Grammar School was probably split evenly between Saints supporters and Ralson Rangers. There was a smattering of other clubs represented- Dundee Utd, Celtic and probably Aberdeen given the decade. 

Of the Saints supporters in my year, there's probably only about 20 or so that still go regularly to my knowledge. 

Jeezo. I remember in my year there were probably only around 7 Saints fans who mostly went home and away. And we were at a Paisley secondary school in the main European glory years from ‘79 to 84.

All the rest were of a blue bawbag bigot persuasion who never went, the odd green bhigot and a Chesterfield fan who had moved to the area just before his own towns team pumped the mighty Gers in the Anglo Scottish cup and the hordes from Govan subsequently rioted. Nothing new there then.

50 minutes ago, munoz said:

That’s a pretty good showing Munoz for those who have continued to attend.

6 hours ago, antrin said:

And what a miserable life it has so often been… :( 

…with occasional, outrageously glorious moments of joy!!!   :)

We so often have to listen to the mantra from supporters of the two big clubs that there is no competition here in Scotland that when a club outside these two win a trophy or get into Europe we do get really excited about it. So far for me: Two National Cups, Finals, Semi Finals, QuarterFinals and games in Europe to look back on as well as relegations and promotions, play offs and the Anglo Scottish Cup!

37 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Jeezo. I remember in my year there were probably only around 7 Saints fans who mostly went home and away. And we were at a Paisley secondary school in the main European glory years from ‘79 to 84.

All the rest were of a blue bawbag bigot persuasion who never went, the odd green bhigot and a Chesterfield fan who had moved to the area just before his own towns team pumped the mighty Gers in the Anglo Scottish cup and the hordes from Govan subsequently rioted. Nothing new there then.

I'd say the Grammar in my era had probably the most Saints fans , followed by Sacred Heart and Castle Heed. 

The Rangers fannies were fuds tbh. Not much has changed since those days. 

9 minutes ago, munoz said:

I'd say the Grammar in my era had probably the most Saints fans , followed by Sacred Heart and Castle Heed. 

The Rangers fannies were fuds tbh. Not much has changed since those days. 

I was a few years older than you at same place.

But saying that you were either kept back a few years running or you had a very hard paper run as you look 10 years older than me.

Very few Saints fans in my year or older years. We were few in number but at least we attended the games. I’m still in touch with some of the guys I went to games with back then who also included those in the year below. 

I’m glad to say two kids witnessed games at Love St, Greenhill Rd and both domestic finals in 2010 & 2013. At least they suffered as much as I did.

I still insist that the LC final in 2010 was the worst experience in my lifetime. A thousand times worse than the UEFA cup tie against some Swedish mob. It made 2013 all the more special.

9 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I was a few years older than you at same place.

But saying that you were either kept back a few years running or you had a very hard paper run as you look 10 years older than me.

Very few Saints fans in my year or older years. We were few in number but at least we attended the games. I’m still in touch with some of the guys I went to games with back then who also included those in the year below. 

I’m glad to say two kids witnessed games at Love St, Greenhill Rd and both domestic finals in 2010 & 2013. At least they suffered as much as I did.

I still insist that the LC final in 2010 was the worst experience in my lifetime. A thousand times worse than the UEFA cup tie against some Swedish mob. It made 2013 all the more special.

The non cup final was decent in my opinion. 

I obviously had a ticket but unfortunately the night before id gotten myself into a Rolling Stones after party (1972) situation. 

I woke up at 2.45 knowing full well I'd missed an opportunity of witnessing silverware. 

Knowing id f**ked up, i walked across the road to my then local the "Trust" , and watched the game in a Renfrewshire pub full of cunts. I managed to keep a lid on my emotions (just about) until that goal,  at which point i deliberately barred myself,  phoned my Celtic supporting mate (deceased) , and headed through to Paisley to drown my sorrows again. 

Thank f**k for 2013 !