Dinner with Mikhail

beyond our ken

Sad to see the demise of Mr Gorbachev (or mouth-sheep-tongue as spitting image had him), especially as he once stood dinner for my wife, daughter and me.

In a wee restaurant in Elounda (crete) about 20 years ago, we booked for an early table but were late for dinner.  The waiter at first wanted to turn us away but the boss told us if we were out in 45 mins we could be accommodated.  We were almost finished the mains after 30 minutes when a large party arrived and were seated in a cluster of table across from us.  One person looked familiar but i couldn't place the fella with the white golf cap, until 3 massive guys came in, spoke to him and then spoke to the owner.  Next thing we knew we were being carted outside to a table by the staff with a round of drinks and "don't worry, the bill has been taken care of, come back on Thursday".  Just as we passed my wife saw the guy remove his cap to reveal the old hammer and scycle birthmark, then the penny dropped.

We came back two nights later to a free meal and apology from the owner who explained that Gorbachev had a villa nearby and the security men always insisted the restaurant be empty when he entertained his extended family there.  For the rest of the fortnight, every taxi driver asked us where we had eaten, was Gorbachev there and did he pay for your meal?  Much liked by the locals, apparently

So long Mikhail, thanks for the perestroica and the glasnost, not to mention the Greek plate, lamb chops, mousakka and a large carafe of red.  Much appreciated. 

(please note, Ricky was not consulted in the drafting of this post).

23 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Sad to see the demise of Mr Gorbachev (or mouth-sheep-tongue as spitting image had him), especially as he once stood dinner for my wife, daughter and me.

In a wee restaurant in Elounda (crete) about 20 years ago, we booked for an early table but were late for dinner.  The waiter at first wanted to turn us away but the boss told us if we were out in 45 mins we could be accommodated.  We were almost finished the mains after 30 minutes when a large party arrived and were seated in a cluster of table across from us.  One person looked familiar but i couldn't place the fella with the white golf cap, until 3 massive guys came in, spoke to him and then spoke to the owner.  Next thing we knew we were being carted outside to a table by the staff with a round of drinks and "don't worry, the bill has been taken care of, come back on Thursday".  Just as we passed my wife saw the guy remove his cap to reveal the old hammer and scycle birthmark, then the penny dropped.

We came back two nights later to a free meal and apology from the owner who explained that Gorbachev had a villa nearby and the security men always insisted the restaurant be empty when he entertained his extended family there.  For the rest of the fortnight, every taxi driver asked us where we had eaten, was Gorbachev there and did he pay for your meal?  Much liked by the locals, apparently

So long Mikhail, thanks for the perestroica and the glasnost, not to mention the Greek plate, lamb chops, mousakka and a large carafe of red.  Much appreciated. 

Great Story!!

Can’t top that!

32 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Maybe you missed the point, this one was more about me and my dinner.

But i am a great fella, thanks!

( i didn't see the other thread when i did a pre-post check.  next time i'll use my specs)

Perhaps the title could have been Gorbie has Dinner with BYK?

You were there first.

PS: it was only a plane had to land very quickly at Cape Town as President GW Bush was about to start their approach. Well ahead of me with this BYK 

Edited by Rascal

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

An interesting wee anecdote. The guy's a legend who ended the Cold War - one of the most famous men of the last century. Fair play. :) 

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

If he had a hammer and sickle birth mark, it must have been the Spitting Image puppet that paid for your meal. :lol

3 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

More "on" than "with". :wink: