The Inside Central Station Thread

shull

1 hour ago, shull said:

A brilliant documentary continues tonight. We are now at Series 4 and it begins at 8.

Now on BBC1 , from BBC Scotland.

Marvelous television.

Enjoyable episode. 8/10.

Quite fancy Sean's job.

A mega Celtic fan, Paul Lyons (?) with a silly beard…. Has been doing the guided tours of that station and hotel buildings for years.  A colourful, funny man.

A pal of mine decades back, working for a company that had “bought the asset” was taken on a guided tour that involved clambering through its filthy roof spaces.

He was left with a firm belief that only cobwebs held the structure in place… and they unloaded it asap.

22 hours ago, antrin said:

A mega Celtic fan, Paul Lyons (?) with a silly beard…. Has been doing the guided tours of that station and hotel buildings for years.  A colourful, funny man.

A pal of mine decades back, working for a company that had “bought the asset” was taken on a guided tour that involved clambering through its filthy roof spaces.

He was left with a firm belief that only cobwebs held the structure in place… and they unloaded it asap.

There was always an excitement when the London train rumbled out and over the Clyde. A real sense of a journey with a purpose.IMO 

There usetae be a train to London….. via Paisley.  Sunday evenings, iirc…

my very good Buddie, (Andy Carruthers) now gone, did a brilliant rip off of the Paisley station staff and their VIP role on shifting THE LONDON TRAIN!!, through PGS.  Great excitement, it seemed.  Many loud calls about…  THE LONDON TRAIN!!,

it went via Dumfries and Galloway.  A circuitous route.  Don’t think Andy or me ever used it.

Probably the excitement was due (potentially) to getting rid of tossers like me n Andra!  :rolleyes:

On 9/6/2022 at 9:52 PM, antrin said:

my very good Buddie, (Andy Carruthers) now gone, did a brilliant rip off of the Paisley station staff and their VIP role on shifting THE LONDON TRAIN!!, through PGS.  Great excitement, it seemed.  Many loud calls about…  THE LONDON TRAIN!!,

it went via Dumfries and Galloway.  A circuitous route.  Don’t think Andy or me ever used it.

Probably the excitement was due (potentially) to getting rid of tossers like me n Andra!  :rolleyes:

Did the train originate in Ayr? I can recall getting on the London Bound Sleeper - around 1969-1973.

Edit Added

Just looked further into this. The one Mr A mentioned was stopped by route closures but the Stranraer Boat Train continued to run.

Edited by Rascal

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 8:52 AM, antrin said:

Did you know my Dad, Mike Brannigan ? Dyed in the wool Saints man. Spent his last few years out in Kilbarchan and was great pals with Andy Carruthers back in the day. 

On 9/29/2022 at 2:26 AM, branniganm said:

Did you know my Dad, Mike Brannigan ? Dyed in the wool Saints man. Spent his last few years out in Kilbarchan and was great pals with Andy Carruthers back in the day. 

Aye!    :)

I asked on here years ago, if YOU were the Mike Brannigan that I also knew!   ( never got a response, so presumed I was well wrong.)

Mike was always a positive guy, great for a laugh.  I feel pretty sure that Mike came down to London to enjoy the odd weekend, kipping at one or other of the slums that we shared…

(one house that “sleeps 6” already had 7 lads + 2 girlfriends there, when I moved in.  It was quite tiring existing on the living room sofa in a big party house.)

13 hours ago, antrin said:

Aye!    :)

I asked on here years ago, if YOU were the Mike Brannigan that I also knew!   ( never got a response, so presumed I was well wrong.)

Mike was always a positive guy, great for a laugh.  I feel pretty sure that Mike came down to London to enjoy the odd weekend, kipping at one or other of the slums that we shared…

(one house that “sleeps 6” already had 7 lads + 2 girlfriends there, when I moved in.  It was quite tiring existing on the living room sofa in a big party house.)

Sorry I didn't reply to your query !

Yes, my dad used to go down south for the festivals, ie Knebworth , Isle of Wight etc so possibly looked in on you then. Would have been the early '70s. 

I now live in New Zealand, but try and see the Buds whenever I'm back home. Will give you a shout next time.

Take care, and as always COYS !