Independence in Scotland & Northern Ireland

Rascal

I know these are contentious topics where people often have strong views. 

My own view is that people in both Scotland and Northern Ireland should have the democratic right to leave the  Union should a majority wish this to be the case. In NI this would mean re-unification of the whole island of Ireland and in Scotland the re-establishment of a sovereign and independent country.

Whether either chooses to go that route should be down to the people within that territory. It should not be subject to the whim/gift of England which has emerged as the Senior Partner in the Union.

I voted remain at Brexit and Yes at the Referendum but couldn’t be described as a committed nationalist. What happens in the next two years will be pivotal in both the Province and in Scotland.

My own view is that people in both Scotland and Northern Ireland should have the democratic right to leave the  Union should a majority wish this to be the case. In NI this would mean re-unification of the whole island of Ireland and in Scotland the re-establishment of a sovereign and independent country.
Whether either chooses to go that route should be down to the people within that territory. It should not be subject to the whim/gift of England which has emerged as the Senior Partner in the Union.
I voted remain at Brexit and Yes at the Referendum but couldn’t be described as a committed nationalist. What happens in the next two years will be pivotal in both the Province and in Scotland.
Why would it necessarily mean Irish unification?

3 minutes ago, Slarti said:
2 hours ago, Rascal said:

I think it’s more likely to mean a return to arms and a resurgence of violence on the streets .

21 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Feel free to suggest alternatives 

18 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I think it’s more likely to mean a return to arms and a resurgence of violence on the streets .

A high possibility, I would accept, but I don’t envisage a majority in favour for a number of years to come. 

Unfortunately that is true, Irish unioinists were given a potential trading advantage over the rest of the UK with the way the Brexit deal landed.  For some reason the unionists see a deal that can make all of their lives better as an affront to their identity.  

The unification faction are now in a slight majority in NI (or are on course to be soon), it is very slim though and is a recipe for trouble.  I personally never expected the unionists to participate in the institutions once they were no longer the larger party, the people in charge today are minnows compared to the ones who moved political and social mountains to create the good friday agreement and see their role of fighting a rearguard campaign of frustration as the only way to keep their supporters onside while the demographic moves towards re-unification and republicanism.

Truss is an arse and has no chance of sorting this one out, my prediction is that she will "go nuclear" on the NI protocol in an attempt to look tough

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

Unfortunately that is true, Irish unioinists were given a potential trading advantage over the rest of the UK with the way the Brexit deal landed.  For some reason the unionists see a deal that can make all of their lives better as an affront to their identity.  

The unification faction are now in a slight majority in NI (or are on course to be soon), it is very slim though and is a recipe for trouble.  I personally never expected the unionists to participate in the institutions once they were no longer the larger party, the people in charge today are minnows compared to the ones who moved political and social mountains to create the good friday agreement and see their role of fighting a rearguard campaign of frustration as the only way to keep their supporters onside while the demographic moves towards re-unification and republicanism.

Truss is an arse and has no chance of sorting this one out, my prediction is that she will "go nuclear" on the NI protocol in an attempt to look tough

A very real danger of that last sentence coming to fruition. She is a f**king fruitcake 

But then again, don’t fancy anyones chances of tackling the clusterf**k that Blowjo left with his oven ready , no tariffs , no border deal 🙄.  
No matter what changes are made, someone’s gonna be upset and it won’t take much for the trouble to start  .😫

Feel free to suggest alternatives 

I don't need to, it was you that made a claim ("this would mean"), I just asked you to justify it.  I don't expect that you will actually answer the question, you'll probably just attempt to deflect as usual.

8 hours ago, Rascal said:

We don't f**king want them down here. We've enough f**kwits of our own, thanks.

52 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

We don't f**king want them down here. We've enough f**kwits of our own, thanks.

That’s a point that I hoped someone would make. 

Equally interesting would be the reaction of people in England if they were asked the question .

Edited by Rascal

4 hours ago, Slarti said:

I don't need to, it was you that made a claim ("this would mean"), I just asked you to justify it.  I don't expect that you will actually answer the question, you'll probably just attempt to deflect as usual.

No need. To help you out, I will state the obvious. The Unionists wish to remain part of the UK. The Republicans wish to reunite Ireland. A substantial number of folks appeared to wish to stay as part of the EU. One way to do that would be for reunification to take place. I know it’s unlikely but maybe, just maybe there is a creative brain attached to the fingers you use to type on the forum and you can engage rather than your more common negative approach. Doubt it.

No need. To help you out, I will state the obvious. The Unionists wish to remain part of the UK. The Republicans wish to reunite Ireland. A substantial number of folks appeared to wish to stay as part of the EU. One way to do that would be for reunification to take place. I know it’s unlikely but maybe, just maybe there is a creative brain attached to the fingers you use to type on the forum and you can engage rather than your more common negative approach. Doubt it.

I don't expect that you will actually answer the question, you'll probably just attempt to deflect as usual.

Called it.