The Queen

shull

4 hours ago, antrin said:

1) You’re surprisingly not great at reading (though I realised my phrasing would possibly prompt an erroneous response).  Mea culpa…?

I never stated that population of Bristol was predominantly black.  I wrote that that was the section of a society(mostly) which had been trying for some time (years!) to get the council to do something about the statue.

And - you may not have noticed - that black people have lived in Bristol for way longer longer than you suggest AND that , like non-black people they actually breed!  Gasp.  Who knew?  I suggest that black activists in the riots were local English people who (like their parents, who came to UK cos they were asked in by us!) have no need to be “grateful” for being alive and seeking respect and dignity!

To voluntarily move to another country, presumably for a better life”

Jeezo!! - condescend, why don’t you?!

As an economic migrant Scot who similarly moved to England for my idea of improving myself, I tug the forelock to no one.

Have YOU always worked within a 5k radius of your place of birth?

(I’m starting to understand your support for Churchill…)

2.  I think I’ve actually heard about WWII….  And I do know history…

…which is why I know Churchill was a racist - and that is the accurate and honest comment that had been added to the plinth on which his statue stands. Carlson was lying. That addition was not “trying to change history” - it was bringing the truth out into the sunshine!

Finally, what possible relevance a random Wikipedia quote from 1826 bears to my post, is far beyond me.

But if you want to play salient wiki-quotes, I’m your man! :)

Racist Churchill…

During WWII, there was this…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Winston_Churchill#Bengal_famine

Then… 

Churchill's comments on Indians – as well as his views on race as a whole – were judged by his contemporaries within the Conservative Party to be extreme.”  in the 1930s.

There's a whole litany about his undeniable racism. He was out of time…

I agreed with you - Churchill was a racist. If we're going to go around adorning statues with graffiti describing people's character flaws, then every single one will be vandalised. Show me a man who has no character flaws and I will show you a liar.

I never knew there was a referendum on mass-immigration, though (asked in by us - not our government)! Learn something new every day...I think I will leave that there, as I don't like where this is going. Have a nice day, sir. :) 

28 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Absolutely no issue with postponing the football games over the weekend but why are cricket and rugby still being played?

Maybe it is considered that their fans would be less likely to be an embarassment to their governing bodies? I see the St. Ledger has also been postponed for a day, why bother??

4 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

What the actual f**k is going on ?

Yes, Queens deid , I get it - lotsa people are sad.

All football has been called off today as a mark of respect ( Waaaay over the top IMO ) Yet Cricket goes ahead at international level in Engerlund , Rugby Union down south goes ahead , Rugby League goes ahead and is even shown LIVE on Telly today !!

😡😡😡

Well I was able to watch live Spanish football in Gabriel's today thank to the girl behind the bar checking it was OK. With the pub being English owned, all tv were to be only on for the Queen stuff only but she got the ok for 1 telly to show the Spanish games. Seen DVZ in the bar and he still looked fit to play for us  😊

16 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Well I was able to watch live Spanish football in Gabriel's today thank to the girl behind the bar checking it was OK. With the pub being English owned, all tv were to be only on for the Queen stuff only but she got the ok for 1 telly to show the Spanish games. Seen DVZ in the bar and he still looked fit to play for us  😊

If only the owner realised it should have an apostrophe!

English owned? :o 

5 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Just settling down to watch Match of the Day followed by Sportscene . 

Oh no , wait , it’s not Match of the day , it’s f**king “ Today at the test”. Showing highlights of the most f**king boring sport known to man 😡

Can’t wait to catch the croquet highlights tomorrow 😡

Gies a pun or two, that'll cheer us up. 😆