The Queen

shull

I have just watched the first 15 minutes of the news on BBC1. There was a brief mention of a few people booing in Edinburgh.

I have not watched much of the BBC coverage since it got too much for me to take by late Thursday, Has anyone heard any dissenting vox pops or pundits on the BBC?

I am generally a supporter of what the BBC does, but not on this occasion. I am an old guy and most of the friends and family I have talked to about this are at best lukewarm about the Royal Family and many like myself would like to see the back of them.

Am I so far out of step with the majority in this country?

7 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

They had originally said her coffin will be transported to London on the Royal Train , now they are saying it will be flown by RAF aircraft to Northolt.  Will be interesting ( for an anorak like me ) to see what aircraft they choose  ✈️

Edinburgh Airport has a Notam out saying the airport will be completely closed to outbound and inbound flights for 1-2 hours on Tuesday !

8 hours ago, ianmac said:

It's not really important if you are, or are not, it's entirely up to you.

I happen to think the blanket coverage on the main TV channels isn't really justified as there are specific news channels that could focus on this and allow the normal TV schedule to resume. 

There seems to have been a small minority who can't keep their feelings to themselves at a time like this after yesterdays cortege was travelling to Edinburgh.

These people are free to think what they like but shouldn't be surprised if they get short shrift at a time when a person many have held in very high regard has just passed away. 

A time and a place, despite them screaming about free speech. 

12 hours ago, ianmac said:

I have just watched the first 15 minutes of the news on BBC1. There was a brief mention of a few people booing in Edinburgh.

I have not watched much of the BBC coverage since it got too much for me to take by late Thursday, Has anyone heard any dissenting vox pops or pundits on the BBC?

I am generally a supporter of what the BBC does, but not on this occasion. I am an old guy and most of the friends and family I have talked to about this are at best lukewarm about the Royal Family and many like myself would like to see the back of them.

I don't think you are but there is a time and a place for dissenting voices and this is probably not it ?

I agree the tv coverage is way over the top. Have to remember the BBC is under sustained attack from the right of politics so probably easier to do what they are doing.

Also think it was a really dangerous time for Starmer who so far has played it well.

Best laugh was Sturgeon having to sing God Save The King. Looked like she had a wasp in her mouth. 

16 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I don't think you are but there is a time and a place for dissenting voices and this is probably not it ?

I agree the tv coverage is way over the top. Have to remember the BBC is under sustained attack from the right of politics so probably easier to do what they are doing.

Also think it was a really dangerous time for Starmer who so far has played it well.

Best laugh was Sturgeon having to sing God Save The King. Looked like she had a wasp in her mouth. 

I don't condone booing or disrupting events or minute's silences, and I don't expect equal coverage of reasonably expressed alternative points of view, but some acknowledgement that there is a different point of view would be welcome.

I agree that it would not be appropriate to have a 'heated debate' (to quote Mrs Merton) on the relevance of the Monarchy at the moment.

On another point, I got in my car this morning and Radio Scotland came on. I only heard a few minutes, but the discussion was on what will happen to the Old Queen's corgis..........

Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 now. ( I know, I shouldn’t listen , I just get annoyed 😠

The Queen is half Scottish .  What a pile of f**king shite 😂.  Why , just because she owned a big hoose or two  up here and loved visiting ? Aye right !!   

I love Spain & The Canary isles, I’ve visited many many times and love the people and their attitude to life - doesn’t make me f**king Spanish . 😂😂😂

13 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 now. ( I know, I shouldn’t listen , I just get annoyed 😠

The Queen is half Scottish .  What a pile of f**king shite 😂.  Why , just because she owned a big hoose or two  up here and loved visiting ? Aye right !!   

I love Spain & The Canary isles, I’ve visited many many times and love the people and their attitude to life - doesn’t make me f**king Spanish . 😂😂😂

I think our points of view are similar on this type of sycophantic nonsense, but was the Queen Mother not from an aristocratic Scottish family?

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

It's not really important if you are, or are not, it's entirely up to you.

I happen to think the blanket coverage on the main TV channels isn't really justified as there are specific news channels that could focus on this and allow the normal TV schedule to resume. 

There seems to have been a small minority who can't keep their feelings to themselves at a time like this after yesterdays cortege was travelling to Edinburgh.

These people are free to think what they like but shouldn't be surprised if they get short shrift at a time when a person many have held in very high regard has just passed away. 

A time and a place, despite them screaming about free speech. 

Except "these people" are not free to think what they like.

Arrested for holding a placard FFS.

If there is a minutes silence before the game next week, i will not disrupt it but i will not stand for it either, as the Queen has presided over a divided country with massive inequalities and has done nothing to change that. Using our money to pay off her sons accuser was for me the final straw and isn’t worthy of respect.

Will that decision be respected by you and your fellow royalists?

14 minutes ago, ianmac said:

I think our points of view are similar on this type of sycophantic nonsense, but was the Queen Mother not from an aristocratic Scottish family?

More like an aristocratic family of Scotland.  Not really sure how many of them would be classed as Scottish (or classed themselves as Scottish which, to me, is more important).

Edited by Slarti

8 minutes ago, Hendo said:

If there is a minutes silence before the game next week, i will not disrupt it but i will not stand for it either, as the Queen has presided over a divided country with massive inequalities and has done nothing to change that. Using our money to pay off her sons accuser was for me the final straw and isn’t worthy of respect.

Away and gies piece.  🤪🤪🤪

20 minutes ago, ianmac said:

I believe you have to back over 200 years before the Queen Mammy before you come across some Scots born among their ancestors , so yes, their is a Scots line but for commentators to be spouting shite like “ She was half Scottish” is simply guff !! 

I have no problem with anyone considering themselves Scottish . eg , Those who Came here, settled and created a life for themselves , perhaps raised a family here but to call someone half Scottish because she was awfy fond of her holidays up here is ridiculous.  
As far as I can recall, she never considered or declared she was Scottish, she would say how much she enjoyed her time up here and how relaxed she felt but never claimed to be Scots so why are people making this claim now ?  
Hmmm , I wonder why ?  🙄

19 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Apparently she was shouting stuff as well.

20 minutes ago, Hendo said:

A report I heard on the radio suggested the lassie was probably arrested for her own safety. 

I'd like to see her trying that demonstration outside Ibrox on a match day.