The Queen

shull

3 hours ago, renfrew156 said:

I dont drink, I have been sober for 26 years

but andrew is still earl of inverness the loch ness noncer

dont forget to reply so silly bollox sees it

I apologise to you Renfrew156.  I shouldn't have put you in the same category as St. Lucy.  At least you post interesting and funny things now and then.

Where exactly did I say this?  That's right: I didn't!  I said I wouldn't make fun of them.  You come across as a bitter, sad man to be perfectly honest.  If putting me on ignore makes you feel better about yourself, please do.  You'll probably continue to mention myself and Shull though as you just can't help yourself.
What is it that upsets you so much that you make jokes about Religion and have no respect for people who are Religious?  Doesn't living in a democratic country mean that people can get to choose how to live their lives?  Who are you to mock other people for their beliefs?  What makes you so important that you can tell us all that people are stupid for being member of a Church?  Are you suggesting anyone who attends Religious services aren't allowed to be a St. Mirren supporter?
Did a bigger, stronger and more handsome boy from the local Catholic school steal the love of your life when you were a teenager?  Is this what this is all about?  Or did you get overlooked for a promotion that someone who attends Religious services got and now you're trying to compensate by making jokes about Rosary beads online?
Do you feel inadequate?
I don't think he mocked religious people, did he? He mocked, if he even did that, a religious practice and/or the religion. That's completely different from mocking religious people and is fair game in my book. I could go into all the reasons why religions are nonsense, how they divide people, how they are anti-science, etc, but I won't, cause that would be too long of a post, even for me.

7 hours ago, Slarti said:
13 hours ago, Percy Veer said:
Where exactly did I say this?  That's right: I didn't!  I said I wouldn't make fun of them.  You come across as a bitter, sad man to be perfectly honest.  If putting me on ignore makes you feel better about yourself, please do.  You'll probably continue to mention myself and Shull though as you just can't help yourself.
What is it that upsets you so much that you make jokes about Religion and have no respect for people who are Religious?  Doesn't living in a democratic country mean that people can get to choose how to live their lives?  Who are you to mock other people for their beliefs?  What makes you so important that you can tell us all that people are stupid for being member of a Church?  Are you suggesting anyone who attends Religious services aren't allowed to be a St. Mirren supporter?
Did a bigger, stronger and more handsome boy from the local Catholic school steal the love of your life when you were a teenager?  Is this what this is all about?  Or did you get overlooked for a promotion that someone who attends Religious services got and now you're trying to compensate by making jokes about Rosary beads online?
Do you feel inadequate?

I don't think he mocked religious people, did he? He mocked, if he even did that, a religious practice and/or the religion. That's completely different from mocking religious people and is fair game in my book. I could go into all the reasons why religions are nonsense, how they divide people, how they are anti-science, etc, but I won't, cause that would be too long of a post, even for me.

I don't know how to quote two different posts from different pages but on page 20 (I'm using my mobile phone so it might be a different page number on a desktop or laptop), St Lucifer called people "foolish" for being religious before going on a rant about "a being" allowing children to die before they even live or similar wording.

Calling people foolish for their beliefs and bringing the death of children into it is mocking people who are religious in my book.  As I said previously, we are fortunate to live in a country which allows people the freedom to choose how to live their lives (within the law) so why did he feel the need to be abusive towards people who have beliefs simply because he doesn't share them?

Why did he make fun of Rosary beads anyway on a thread about the ill health and subsequent death of the Queen?  Yes, I know people will say he was attempting to be "funny" and make fun of another poster who he claims he has on ignore.  If I had someone on ignore, I'd not get involved with them at all, even if I read their posts because someone else quoted them.

5 hours ago, Percy Veer said:

I don't know how to quote two different posts from different pages but on page 20 (I'm using my mobile phone so it might be a different page number on a desktop or laptop), St Lucifer called people "foolish" for being religious before going on a rant about "a being" allowing children to die before they even live or similar wording.

Calling people foolish for their beliefs and bringing the death of children into it is mocking people who are religious in my book.  As I said previously, we are fortunate to live in a country which allows people the freedom to choose how to live their lives (within the law) so why did he feel the need to be abusive towards people who have beliefs simply because he doesn't share them?

Why did he make fun of Rosary beads anyway on a thread about the ill health and subsequent death of the Queen?  Yes, I know people will say he was attempting to be "funny" and make fun of another poster who he claims he has on ignore.  If I had someone on ignore, I'd not get involved with them at all, even if I read their posts because someone else quoted them.

I do believe you are at the madam here and will be on ignore after this. The very freedom you claim for everyone else you seem to wish me not to have. It is my OPINION that people who believe in  ANY god are foolish. It is my belief. Is that ok? Or am I not allowed to have an opinion in your eyes. It is a FACT  that IF these people believe in thieir diety then, by definition, they believe it kills innocent children. This is undoubtably a fact. I am surely allowed to point out their idiocy in this belief. 

Again we go round in circles as far as the toy beads are concerned. Are you so stupid that you can't understand my reply or is it just that you crave attention? 

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I do believe you are at the madam here and will be on ignore after this. The very freedom you claim for everyone else you seem to wish me not to have. It is my OPINION that people who believe in  ANY god are foolish. It is my belief. Is that ok? Or am I not allowed to have an opinion in your eyes. It is a FACT  that IF these people believe in thieir diety then, by definition, they believe it kills innocent children. This is undoubtably a fact. I am surely allowed to point out their idiocy in this belief. 

Again we go round in circles as far as the toy beads are concerned. Are you so stupid that you can't understand my reply or is it just that you crave attention? 

If anyone on here craves attention, it's you, especially on a thread about a woman you claim to have no feelings towards at all.  You're a disgrace, going on about killing children etc., "toy beads".

As I said previously, if putting me on ignore will make you feel better about yourself, please do it.  I get the impression not much in life makes you happy to be honest.  Maybe you'd be happier outing yourself as a fan of the Ibrox/Govan team and find like minded souls to revel in your hatred of others in?

He's just admitted that he thinks they're foolish, so, even though it's not something a saw him post earlier, I'll give you that.

I'd say that their beliefs are foolish, not (necessarily) them. Intelligent people can believe some foolish things.

As for the dying/dead children bit, he's right. Anyone who believes in an omnipotent, omnibenevolent god (like the vast majority of christians) must believe that their god has the power to stop children suffering but chooses not to and that it it good that it does so. Not only that, but also that it is their god that causes the suffering in the first place.

Of course, everything will be cosy as long we accept that he sacrificed himself to himself to save us from himself. If we don't he will send us to be burned and tortured for eternity - because he loves us.

I could go on but I won't.

I still don't know why you're making such a big thing out of him saying "playing"? I've heard lots of people, catholics and non-catholics, using the term. Looks a bit like you were just trying to have a dig. What's the right phrase for "playing" with a rosary?

7 minutes ago, Slarti said:

He's just admitted that he thinks they're foolish, so, even though it's not something a saw him post earlier, I'll give you that.

That's because that's the first time I've openly said that I think they are foolish. Perhaps I should have better said I think their belief is foolish.

1 minute ago, Rascal said:

I think the point is respect. Respect for opinions and respect for beliefs and rituals. Doesn’t cost anything.

I don't agree I'm being disrepectful. Because I openly say I think they are wrong in their beliefs doesn't mean I don't respect their right to, what I believe is, a foolish belief. It would be hypocritical to pretend I was anything other than surprised a grown up could believe in fairytales. If their belief is so fragile they can't stand criticism and questions, it can't be that strong.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

That's because that's the first time I've openly said that I think they are foolish. Perhaps I should have better said I think their belief is foolish.

I don't agree I'm being disrepectful. Because I openly say I think they are wrong in their beliefs doesn't mean I don't respect their right to, what I believe is, a foolish belief. It would be hypocritical to pretend I was anything other than surprised a grown up could believe in fairytales. If their belief is so fragile they can't stand criticism and questions, it can't be that strong.

However you dress it up, you are essentially saying that because people have a different view to you they are foolish. I’m not making a case either way and happy for them to choose to believe or not. 

I think the point is respect. Respect for opinions and respect for beliefs and rituals. Doesn’t cost anything.
Not at all. You're wrong. Stupid beliefs do not deserve any respect. You can respect a person's right to hold a belief without respecting the belief itself. If you had to respect all beliefs then you would have to respect the beliefs of racists etc, it's just ridiculous. Someone who believes something without decent evidence (or, worse still, in spite of the evidence), is naive, gullible, foolish or an idiot.

As for opinions, everyone has the right to one but they are not all equally valid.

Rituals? Like the circumcision of babies and female genital mutilation?

It does cost, not necessarily in money.

4 minutes ago, Rascal said:

However you dress it up, you are essentially saying that because people have a different view to you they are foolish. I’m not making a case either way and happy for them to choose to believe or not.

I'm dressing nothing up. That would suggest that I was somehow trying to hide my thoughts. I DO think it foolish to believe in, and worship, an invisible, omnipotent being who would think nothing of taking your young child away and tell you it's ok because it's "his will".

You do not CHOOSE to believe anything. You're either convinced of something, and so believe it, or not convinced, so don't.

If you don't believe me, try CHOOSING to believe that I'm right about that.

2 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Not at all. You're wrong. Stupid beliefs do not deserve any respect. You can respect a person's right to hold a belief without respecting the belief itself. If you had to respect all beliefs then you would have to respect the beliefs of racists etc, it's just ridiculous. Someone who believes something without decent evidence (or, worse still, in spite of the evidence), is naive, gullible, foolish or an idiot.

As for opinions, everyone has the right to one but they are not all equally valid.

Rituals? Like the circumcision of babies and female genital mutilation?

It does cost, not necessarily in money.

Nonsense. Words for the sake of words

Just now, Slarti said:

You do not CHOOSE to believe anything. You're either convinced of something, and so believe it, or not convinced, so don't.

If you don't believe me, try CHOOSING to believe that I'm right about that.

Nonsense. Belief is a choice. Otherwise facts would suffice.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

Are you stupid? It's the whole topic of this conversation. Perhaps you need to go back to the playground.

No—-belief is the point In discussion. Religion is a set of codified beliefs held  by a number of people. There is a difference