Frank McDougall

11 hours ago, shull said:

Excellent player with Saints. I wish him well. I could never understand how a man who hardly seemed able to walk when off the pitch looked so good on it. Scored some great goals.

2 hours ago, saint in exile said:

Great player and underrated by sections of the home support at Love Street. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

I was one of the ones who underrated him. Yes he scored a few but,by God  he missed  even more. Cost us a couple of Cup Final appearances with his misses.  Wish him well for this though. He was a trier. Had a good record with Aberdeen when he went there.

22 hours ago, guinness said:

I was one of the ones who underrated him. Yes he scored a few but,by God  he missed  even more. Cost us a couple of Cup Final appearances with his misses.  Wish him well for this though. He was a trier. Had a good record with Aberdeen when he went there.

He only scored 3 goals less than McAvennie, in 20 fewer games. Th's more than a few, I think. Plus, a series of injuries probably kept his numbers down.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2022 at 9:07 PM, alwaysabuddy said:

FRANKMCDOUGALL002.jpg

Frank McDougall standing on a snow-covered Love St Terrace.  Younger fans probably have no idea how evocative this photo is to us older fans.  just looking at that picture brings a back a sense of excitement that I rarely get going to a game these days.  Those really were the days

15 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Thank you, Cookie Monster.  I enjoyed reading that article, especially the bit about him bumping into Pelé of all people!

Frank McDougall was way before my time unfortunately.

I am sure somebody will correct me, but i always have this memory of a season where St Mirren scored for fun.  Somner did all the hard work and Mcdougal claimed all the goals.  The guy had the uncanny knack of being in the right place, right time.  Goals went in off his back, bum, shoulder, shin but they all counted.  What wouldnt we give for a good old penalty box "jammie'" striker these days?

Edited by bonzoboys

11 hours ago, bonzoboys said:

I am sure somebody will correct me, but i always have this memory of a season where St Mirren scored for fun.  Somner did all the hard work and Mcdougal claimed all the goals.  The guy had the uncanny knack of being in the right place, right time.  Goals went in off his back, bum, shoulder, shin but they all counted.  What wouldnt we give for a good old penalty box "jammie'" striker these days?

It is fair to say he had a penchant for the odd "unsophisticated" goal, but he scored some stoaters too. I remember one against Rangers at Ibrox in a 2-1 win he rattled in off the post and he also scored a beauty in a cup semi against Celtic. Unfortunately we lost that one 2-1.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...