The Legendary David Martindale Thread

shull

12 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

And so it should! Plenty said on this forum about certain players and their past, should be no different for managers either, Martindale is lucky, he's a square peg in a square hole, move and I'm far from convinced he'd do well elsewhere.

I don't buy that he's "lucky" as keeping a club with a tragic support safely in the top league takes some doing IMO.

I happen to think he'd do well at a bigger club.

As for his past, it's in the past, done, dealt with and everybody deserves a chance move on. 

I maybe didn't express my point as I intended, he has been at the club for a long time under other managers before getting the gig, he has been in the fortunate position of being the continuity over that period and it suits him hence my square peg comment, moving to another club without having the benefit of that continuity is where the tricky part lies and like I said I'm not convinced. So lucky was clearly not the right word.

I maybe didn't express my point as I intended, he has been at the club for a long time under other managers before getting the gig, he has been in the fortunate position of being the continuity over that period and it suits him hence my square peg comment, moving to another club without having the benefit of that continuity is where the tricky part lies and like I said I'm not convinced. So lucky was clearly not the right word.
Wonder how much his dealer, sorry agent would get in commission. [emoji848]

45 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

I’ve been told by a Livingston fan that David Martindale has turned down offers from bigger clubs down south as he is settled at Livingston FC. He feels a sense of loyalty with the club for supporting him after his release. I think he fully understands the risks involved in moving elsewhere to a job where he could be out on his arse in months depending on results. 

David Martindale has proved himself to that club through a number of roles and even if they decide to replace him I get the feeling that the owners would find an alternative role at the club.

Credit where it’s due. He has acknowledged his past. Done his jail time and is doing an excellent job. 👏 

Yet another post of very poor taste by Cookie Monster aka Cowardly Cockles1987.  He's actually making me agree with Faraway's "Pish poor post"!

I've read the article in today's Sunday Mail and David Martindale even says other clubs are quite right not to consider him because of his past.  The guy has been upfront and honest about his past and what kind of person he was and what company he kept previously.

In the past he has admitted feeling a sense of loyalty to Livingston FC.

On the radio last year, big John "Yogi" Hughes said words to the affect of if it's the boy Martindale that's putting his own money into the club then fair play to him and he'll always have a say about players signed and training regimes, style of play, tactics etc.  So I get the impression that he's been in charge even when they had other "managers"/"head coaches" performing the media duties etc.

Edited by Percy Veer
An extra "that" not needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...