St Mirren v The Ayrshire Killie Boys Premiership 15/10/22

shull

Well that was a miserable match!  Overall Kilmarnock had the better chances but thankfully Trevor Carson pulled off great saves.  We seemed to get drawn into Kilmarnock's nonsense and dragged down to their level.  Still, we didn't get beat which is important but I feel we really need to be winning games against opponents like Kilmarnock at home.

On to the next game.

A struggle today. Passing sloppy, gave the ball away a lot. Ayunga could not find his feet. Carson immense in goals given number of one on ones he faced. Ended up glad of the point. Another season we would have lost that game. Thought refereeing spoilt the game with his decisions. Two poor home performances glean 4 points, but not a good watch. Need to step up though 

When a team starts on the back foot they never get back into it until possibly half-time. And we we never got into it in the first half. Killie dominated the midfield but strangely they never laid a glove on us yet we had three great chances to score (Strain, Ayunga and  Main). I would have made changes at half time but we competed a bit better in the second half. Killie certainly scorned a couple of great chances at the start of the second half but there was little after that from either side.

Some really poor performances from some players today. Main and especially Ayunga hardly won a ball, took too long to control it and Ayunga seems incapable of passing sometimes and prefers to run into trouble. However in the first half the midfield sat too deep to support the forwards so they were quite isolated. Power ran the middle of the park while Erhahon decided it was better to watch him than do anything to stop him. O'Hara had his quietest game for us in the first half but got more into it in the second half. Dunne made far too many mistakes for my liking and why does Tanser take corners and free kicks when he is hopeless at them? Give someone else a chance.

On the plus side Carson was great closely followed by Gallagher.

I think we need to keep the tactics and formation but change a couple of bodies to freshen things up. I'd like to see Joe in for Dunne and Gogic for Erhahon. If Main and Ayunga aren't imposing themselves in the first half we should be making a change at half time or with 30 mins to go.

We are doing great this season. We lacked passion today and never closed down like we have been doing. For the first time in ages we have a decent bench so should maybe use it more.

Very poor start but grew into it in the first half. Strain volley and Main header the best of it. We never came out, second half. I thought, and I'm happy to be proved wrong, that "Laugherty" was in our half before the second half kick off but Carson was immense to stop what I thought was a shoo in. He was just as good later in the half and it was his point today. WTF happened to Ayunga? He was dreadful. Gogic wasn't much better when he came on. A point gained and we move on to what I hope is a better performance next week.

Edited by stlucifer

9 minutes ago, Sonny said:

When a team starts on the back foot they never get back into it until possibly half-time. And we we never got into it in the first half. Killie dominated the midfield but strangely they never laid a glove on us yet we had three great chances to score (Strain, Ayunga and  Main). I would have made changes at half time but we competed a bit better in the second half. Killie certainly scorned a couple of great chances at the start of the second half but there was little after that from either side.

Some really poor performances from some players today. Main and especially Ayunga hardly won a ball, took too long to control it and Ayunga seems incapable of passing sometimes and prefers to run into trouble. However in the first half the midfield sat too deep to support the forwards so they were quite isolated. Power ran the middle of the park while Erhahon decided it was better to watch him than do anything to stop him. O'Hara had his quietest game for us in the first half but got more into it in the second half. Dunne made far too many mistakes for my liking and why does Tanser take corners and free kicks when he is hopeless at them? Give someone else a chance.

On the plus side Carson was great closely followed by Gallagher.

I think we need to keep the tactics and formation but change a couple of bodies to freshen things up. I'd like to see Joe in for Dunne and Gogic for Erhahon. If Main and Ayunga aren't imposing themselves in the first half we should be making a change at half time or with 30 mins to go.

We are doing great this season. We lacked passion today and never closed down like we have been doing. For the first time in ages we have a decent bench so should maybe use it more.

I'm in general agreement with your comments and feel that Gogic must now be challenging O'Hara and Erhahon for a starting place.

And likewise Dunne's starting place must be at stake on this form, with Shaughnessy being more reliable in the middle.

Also when Tanser's mojo's not working, as was the case today, Tait offers more overall to the team - both defensively and attack-wise.

Robinson should therefore consider freshening up his starting formation for the match against Dundee United.

On the plus side - Strain is a class act.

10 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

I'm in general agreement with your comments and feel that Gogic must now be challenging O'Hara and Erhahon for a starting place.

And likewise Dunne's starting place must be at stake on this form, with Shaughnessy being more reliable in the middle.

Also when Tanser's mojo's not working, as was the case today, Tait offers more overall to the team - both defensively and attack-wise.

Robinson should therefore consider freshening up his starting formation for the match against Dundee United.

On the plus side - Strain is a class act.

Never mind Tansers mojo he is absolute pish. Cannot tack!e, cannot beat a man and plays one good  cross out of ten.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That felt like a big backward step for me today. 
Think we were pretty poor and that’s a game we should’ve been winning. 
Very disappointing. 

Think we all had our eyes on the 3 points today and 3rd place but lets not kid ourselves outside of the 2 Arse cheeks right now there's very little between the rest of the teams, 

Kilmarnock are no mugs they've just drawn with Hearts and beat St.Johnstone who beat us 3-0 they have a big squad of players much bigger than us,  I was expecting a very tough game today it will be even tougher next week against United who've just hammered Aberdeen and beat Hibs we will need to be a lot better if we want to take anything from the game

Biggest problem for me today on the performance was that Ayunga who we missed last week was really poor, he looked miles off it all game I'd say his worse game for us  

Killie were certainly the better team especially in the first half.  I was really frustrated to see a lack of determination in closing down K players as they approached our box and our passing was totally unacceptable.  I can anticipate Robinson's frustration (as seen looking at him in the bench) as I don't blame our tactics but the performance of the players.

If we get beat next week by United then pessimism begins to take over as there will be a danger of not reaching to top six. 

4 minutes ago, Jockmd said:

Killie were certainly the better team especially in the first half.  I was really frustrated to see a lack of determination in closing down K players as they approached our box and our passing was totally unacceptable.  I can anticipate Robinson's frustration (as seen looking at him in the bench) as I don't blame our tactics but the performance of the players.

If we get beat next week by United then pessimism begins to take over as there will be a danger of not reaching to top six. 

Whit? After 11 games? 

I'd say that's a rather gloomy outlook but everyone to their own. 

As @portmahomack saint says, there's nothing this season between many of the teams so there probably never been a better chance of reaching top 6 and we've put in, albeit today was off the mark a bit, some good football performances which could see us achieve this target. 

Edited by faraway saint

Sometimes Ayunga looks quite good and other times he looks like he has never played football before. Gallagher is our Best player by a mile. If Brophy is fit surely be must start. If not get rid of him.
I have to say when Brophy came on, though brief, he is a ghost.
I find it funny under Goodwin Main was shit and Brophy better. Under Robo it's the other way around.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Whit? After 11 games? 

I'd say that's a rather gloomy outlook but everyone to their own. 

As @portmahomack saint says, there's nothing this season between many of the teams so there probably never been a better chance of reaching top 6 and we've put in, albeit today was off the mark a bit, some good football performances which could see us achieve this target. 

With our performance today I my interpretation is realistic rather than, 'gloomy'.

It won't take much for teams below to overtake us with those with a game in hand and the revival of form of others.  Sure, our optimism is understandable with past results but beating those teams that we should beat is essential.  

46 minutes ago, Jockmd said:

With our performance today I my interpretation is realistic rather than, 'gloomy'.

It won't take much for teams below to overtake us with those with a game in hand and the revival of form of others.  Sure, our optimism is understandable with past results but beating those teams that we should beat is essential.  

Like Hibs (1-0) Dundee Utd (3-0) Ross County (1-0) Livingstone (2-1)?

I'll not include Celtic, as that's probably 3 points that we didn't expect.

Aye, we were under par today and didn't lose.

It could all go Pete Tong, we're all aware of that, but, again, it's our performances that give me some hope we could achieve top six, albeit, there's a long way to go. 

On 10/12/2022 at 4:38 PM, Saint@Johnstone said:

Good to see the derby match restored, Killie seem to have improved a bit recently so ought to be a decent match. Unfortunately won’t be there, that’s two in a row but hoping for a win. 

1 minute ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Dreadful game and lucky to get a point, the goalie single handedly winning that. Up front the usual nothing and Ayunga is hopeless, as is Main. Grieve looks like a wee boy in a man’s game, no use. Bright point was the crowd, best of the season I’d say, thanks to Killie. Much improvement urgently required. 

Quite a summary considering you didn't go?  :lol:

7 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Very poor start but grew into it in the first half. Strain volley and Main header the best of it. We never came out, second half. I thought, and I'm happy to be proved wrong, that "Laugherty" was in our half before the second half kick off but Carson was immense to stop what I thought was a shoo in. He was just as good later in the half and it was his point today. WTF happened to Ayunga? He was dreadful. Gogic wasn't much better when he came on. A point gained and we move on to what I hope is a better performance next week.

I'm not a fan of Kyle Lafferty but he wasn't.  If we're being honest, Curtis Main on the otherhand had both feet in the Kilmarnock half before the ball was kicked.

20221016_005738_resized.jpg

20221016_012842.jpg

20221016_012701.jpg

20221016_012732.jpg

20221016_010159_resized.jpg

20221016_012638.jpg