Frank Mcgarvey diagnosed with cancer

Condolences to his family and friends, a true st mirren legend, never forget his 1987 cup semi final goal against Hearts

Fond memories of watching st mirren and if losing a game urging him

to dribble in the box to draw a penalty to try and win a game 

Edited by renfrew156

3 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

This. The Fergies Furies team played the most exciting football I've ever seen from Saints, and Frank was a major part of that.

Absolutely correct .

Fergie's Furies were by far the greatest and most thrilling footballing St Mirren team that I ever seen. 

ALL LEGENDS

What a privilege to be a supporter in that era.

Total football and always...

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK 

A real shame for someone as talented as him to die as young  ☹️

Nothing i can add to his ability since all other posters have said it all. 

Hopefully a minute :happyclapperagainst the Hearts on Sat since i wouldn't trust them to behave with a minute silence.

Trivial, but no surprise to see the press and news all saying ex Celtic and St Mirren player, instead of ex St Mirren and Celtic player, since he played for us 1st and in total 9 years compared to 5 years at Celtic.

As a Saints fan of a certain age, Frank was a big part of my life as a supporter and ultimately is sad news being the first of the legendary Fergies Furies to pass. 
Fondly remembered especially in those early years. 
I readily admit that I hated him when he went to Sellic and vividly remember throwing darts at his football card after he scored a hat trick against in one of those 7-0 defeats!!

But he came full circle and further enhanced his legend status by once again being part of one of the happiest and momentous occasions as a fan with the victorious 1987 team. 
I have been fortunate over the years to see some great players but for my own team he is up there as one of the best. 
thanks for the memories Frank 🙏🏻

44 minutes ago, BanburyBud said:

As a Saints fan of a certain age, Frank was a big part of my life as a supporter and ultimately is sad news being the first of the legendary Fergies Furies to pass. 
Fondly remembered especially in those early years. 
I readily admit that I hated him when he went to Sellic and vividly remember throwing darts at his football card after he scored a hat trick against in one of those 7-0 defeats!!

But he came full circle and further enhanced his legend status by once again being part of one of the happiest and momentous occasions as a fan with the victorious 1987 team. 
I have been fortunate over the years to see some great players but for my own team he is up there as one of the best. 
thanks for the memories Frank 🙏🏻

Amen

Seems some of us have reached the time of life when sweet memories become bittersweet.  Such a sad way to go.

I remember the pre-season of 75, maybe many Saints fans were thinking like me, is this guy worth all the interest and excitement coming back in the reports from Fergie's mad Carribean tour?  Didn't really need to worry, did I?  

The football of the next couple of years was what I lived for and Frank epitomised everything good about our amazing side.  A complete bag of tricks who mesmerised defenders. Up in the terraces, we all saw what he was up to but close up to defenders  he was often unplayable.  I didn't get angry about him going to Liverpool, it just upset me and the same was true when he moved back to Glasgow.  When he came back to Love St I instantly felt as if all the unfullfilled promises of his first term could be fufilled and that goal against Hearts is still in my mind.  

It's not enough to say thanks for his time as a Buddie, life was exciting and unpredictable for us fans then but always a joy because of Frank and his ilk.  Rest in peace, great man, and see if Pele is up for a game of best of 5.

Edited by beyond our ken

RUN ALONG FRANK MCGARVEY, RUN ALONG.

RUN ALONG FRANK MCGARVEY RUN ALONG.

NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, YOU'LL ALWAYS BE A ST MIRREN STAR

RUN ALONG FRANK MCGARVEY, RUN ALONG.

The above wee song was sung many times on a Supporters Bus as we all headed to Ashton Gate for the Anglo Scottish Cup Final in 1977.

The singer was a great wee buddie from Feegie called Eddie. He always wore a tammy and travelled with his young son.

Great memory.

Just adding my own respects to everything that's been said about Frank by others above. One of the great players in a great era for St. Mirren. Those of us who watched that team regularly were so fortunate to be around at the time. I'll always remember the anticipation and excitement  of going to Love Street on a Saturday to watch them. Never to be forgotten.

Thanks for all the memories, Frank.