Ross County v St Mirren SPFL PREMIERSHIP 5/11/22

shull

We are (and have been for some time) the least skillfull team in the SPL.

We can hardly string two passes together; are second to every ball; and have no composure in front of goal.

Our defensive set-up was supposed to be our strong point, but most teams can cut through us like butter - how many goals have we now conceeded away from home?

And our best central defender is continuously left on the bench which says a lot about SR's obstinate and blinkered judgement.

Whatever confidence was generated by the players at the start of the season, has now evaporated in a sea of incompteence.

14 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

We can hardly string two passes together; are second to every ball; and have no composure in front of goal.

How come we have WON 6 games from 13, are currently sitting 5th, 10 points above the bottom team, who I would suggest ARE the worst team in the league? 

I get you don't rate Robinson, that's ok but your statement above just is miles from the truth and there are no FACTS to back it up. 

15 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Our defensive set-up was supposed to be our strong point, but most teams can cut through us like butter - how many goals have we now conceeded away from home?

And our best central defender is continuously left on the bench which says a lot about SR's obstinate and blinkered judgement.

Whatever confidence was generated by the players at the start of the season, has now evaporated in a sea of incompteence.

Ok apart from above...we are 5th.. 3 points off 3rd....and how many would have thought that after our start... we have a smaller budget than most and home form been superb.... today annoying but overall 19 points is way above where we normally are at this stage

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

How come we have WON 6 games from 13, are currently sitting 5th, 10 points above the bottom team, who I would suggest ARE the worst team in the league? 

I get you don't rate Robinson, that's ok but your statement above just is miles from the truth and there are no FACTS to back it up. 

Our home results have certainly been better than we had any right to expect.

I have previously given Robinson credit for getting more out the players than Goodwin before him.

However, whether at home or certainly away, we have been consistently second best in terms of possession - even against the likes of Kilmarnock and Livi.

Was there even one league game this season when we had more possession than the opposition?

Sevco, Celtic, Hearts and Dundee United have already confirmed in Europe that defensive strategies are for losers.

It must be very doubtful if this negative strategy will continue to work for the whole season.

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:

Our home results have certainly been better than we had any right to expect.

I have previously given Robinson credit for getting more out the players than Goodwin before him.

However, whether at home or certainly away, we have been consistently second best in terms of possession - even against the likes of Kilmarnock and Livi.

Was there even one league game this season when we had more possession than the opposition?

Sevco, Celtic, Hearts and Dundee United have already confirmed in Europe that defensive strategies are for losers.

It must be very doubtful if this negative strategy will continue to work for the whole season.

The possession debate is never ending, if your winning, it's seen as working, when you lose, well we all know that answer. 

I think it's more to do with poor skill levels than defensive strategies that have resulted in our teams getting humped in Europe.

Rangers were slated for setting up defensively down in Liverpool.

We had a fellow poster on here criticising the Celtic manager for trying to get a goal or two just the other night.

Can't do right for doing wrong.

I happen to think that the whole top league has dropped, including the big two, so while it's a commonly used phrase, there really isn't much between most of the teams this season.

Edited by faraway saint

32 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The possession debate is never ending, if your winning, it's seen as working, when you lode, well we all know that answer. 

I think it's more to do with poor skill levels than defensive strategies that have resulted in our teams getting humped in Europe.

Rangers were slated for setting up defensively down in Liverpool.

We had a fellow poster on here criticising the Celtic manager for trying to get a goal or two just the other night.

Can't do right for doing wrong.

I happen to think that the whole top league has dropped, including the big two, so while it's a commonly used phrase, there really isn't much between most of the teams this season.

Lack of skill was the very point I was trying to make - our negative stategy is dictated by the fact we can't keep possession of the ball.

I am old enough to remember the days when the British/Scottish press were very critical of the Inter Milan era in Italy when Celtic had possession but could not break down the Italian "anti-football tactics". At least the Italians of that era had defensive skills to implement that stategy.

We have a small handful of players eg. Strain, Erhahon, O'Hara,  Flynn and Kiltie who are better than the rest in not giving the ball away to the opposition.

There have been games where we've passed the ball well - but not enough of them. We've seen games, even at home, where our passing was not great. I'd add to that the fact that opposition players seem to be quicker to 50-50 balls than we are sometimes. These faults don't appear in every game, but they are there in games like today's and v Killie and Livi in the last few weeks.

Perhaps, as has been said above, teams have sussed the way we play and have figured out how to get round us. The only way to fix it is to work harder, especially on passing the ball, and try another system. SR often talks about working harder after a defeat. Hope he is also considering a change of system.

While I agree we didn't deserve anything from yesterday, we should have had the opportunity of salvaging a point. I said I was concerned with the chosen officials, and I was right. Beaton was standing less than 5 mts away and watching when Tanser was taken out. To top that Collum didn't even ask him to revisit the foul. Definite penalty right at the death.

20 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

I agree with most of this but would say Declan is probably our best defender,  I'm bracing myself for the onslaught, but this great form at home we keep hearing about is a wee bit of a myth to me... I've been to all the games at home and bar Motherwell 0-1 and the Celtic game we've been pretty average and lucky, 

if this team can't do the simple basics things right like play a simple pass which is what I'm seeing, we are constantly giving the ball away,  our so called great form will soon see us back near the foot of the table,  I'm hoping it's the system he's playing that's making these players look so poor at times, that's a easy fix 

7 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

I agree with most of this but would say Declan is probably our best defender,  I'm bracing myself for the onslaught, but this great form at home we keep hearing about is a wee bit of a myth to me... I've been to all the games at home and bar Motherwell 0-1 and the Celtic game we've been pretty average and lucky, 

if this team can't do the simple basics things right like play a simple pass which is what I'm seeing, we are constantly giving the ball away,  our so called great form will soon see us back near the foot of the table,  I'm hoping it's the system he's playing that's making these players look so poor at times, that's a easy fix 

That MIGHT be true but we were unlucky to lose yesterday.

We were also unfortunate up at Aberdeen, not saying we deserved more but the score didn't reflect the performance. 

It's usually foolish to write of games we win as luck without looking at the games we lose.

There has been some clueless supporters who wrote off our league cup run, and win, as lucky. 

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

That MIGHT be true but we were unlucky to lose yesterday.

We were also unfortunate up at Aberdeen, not saying we deserved more but the score didn't reflect the performance. 

It's usually foolish to write of games we win as luck without looking at the games we lose.

There has been some clueless supporters who wrote off our league cup run, and win, as lucky. 

You seriously think we were unlucky to lose.