The Quatar World Cup 2022

shull

8 minutes ago, shull said:

Now Belgium 1 down 

Full-Time Belgium 0-2 Morocco.

For a few years now the media have been going on about "Belgium's Golden Generation" but they have nothing to show for it.  Have Belgium taken over the title of Perennial Underachievers which belonged to Spain for a long time?

Think that's a fair point of view, will be disappointing not to see the likes of Modric in future tournaments. Edited to confirm that I meant in terms of players we won't see next time rather than just Belgians, anyway Canada seem to have made Croatia angry in the current game.

Edited by StanleySaint

2 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Pochettino saying before the Spain v Germany match that only having the players for a week or so before the tournament would have affected the preparations so that might mean that they are all equally unfamiliar.

It could be a "leveler" albeit the same for most teams. 

Quite a few groups are all or nothing now so it should see some teams having to really go for it. 

7 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The last group games are going to be interesting.

Not sure there's been as many "shock" results for many a long year.

Are the Diddy teams getting better or are the big boys dropping in quality or not taking the diddy teams seriously? 

Croatia 4-1 Canada, no shocks in this game. 

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The wee bits I've glimpsed look like the Germans have been the slightly better team. 

Quite a few supporters of both teams here in the hotel. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

It could be a "leveler" albeit the same for most teams. 

Quite a few groups are all or nothing now so it should see some teams having to really go for it. 

The holiday is rubbish I take it?

On 11/24/2022 at 5:27 PM, elvis said:

Football is absolutely f**ked players are a shower of diving cunts you tickle someone and down they go cheating bastards.

You are correct, Sir!  I don't know if becoming a more seasoned football supporter and watcher or just becoming grumpy but football is now full of selfish prima-donnas!

I don't remember players behaving like this twenty or almost thirty years ago?  Yes, there are selfish, arrogant people in all walks of life and careers but footballers are in the public eye and everything they do is scrutinised.  Cristiano Ronaldo should be embarrassed for winning that penalty against Ghana last Thursday.

The best players in the World just now aren't fit to clean and tie the boots of previous generations.  All the money that the likes of Lionel Messi earns and he still puts free kicks over the bar?!  I mean, come on, if you're being paid top dollar then the least his employers and National Football Association can expect is to get his free kicks on target!

You are correct, Sir!  I don't know if becoming a more seasoned football supporter and watcher or just becoming grumpy but football is now full of selfish prima-donnas!
I don't remember players behaving like this twenty or almost thirty years ago?  Yes, there are selfish, arrogant people in all walks of life and careers but footballers are in the public eye and everything they do is scrutinised.  Cristiano Ronaldo should be embarrassed for winning that penalty against Ghana last Thursday.
The best players in the World just now aren't fit to clean and tie the boots of previous generations.  All the money that the likes of Lionel Messi earns and he still puts free kicks over the bar?!  I mean, come on, if you're being paid top dollar then the least his employers and National Football Association can expect is to get his free kicks on target!
Don't watch it then, shull.

In general, every generation of sports people, in every sport, are better than the previous generation. Whether or not this makes the sport better as a spectacle is a matter of opinion. In sports where things can be definitively measured there can be no argument, in sports that cannot lots seem to think that sports people were better in the past. If there was no such thing as a stopwatch, people would be arguing whether Carl Lewis would have beaten Usain Bolt. Footballers can only really be measured against those in their own generation and even then it is pretty subjective.

10 hours ago, Slarti said:

Don't watch it then, shull.

In general, every generation of sports people, in every sport, are better than the previous generation. Whether or not this makes the sport better as a spectacle is a matter of opinion. In sports where things can be definitively measured there can be no argument, in sports that cannot lots seem to think that sports people were better in the past. If there was no such thing as a stopwatch, people would be arguing whether Carl Lewis would have beaten Usain Bolt. Footballers can only really be measured against those in their own generation and even then it is pretty subjective.

I think you should make an appointment with Specsavers as you clearly need reading glasses.  When replying to a post, it helps if you pay attention to the username of the person who has made that post.

As for the rest of your post, in sports that are featured in events like the Olympic Games, which I always enjoy, I believe in some events the modern athletes are better compared to their predecessors.  In some cases this won't necessarily be case.  There's no real point in comparing Carl Lewis with Usain Bolt as you correctly point out.  However over the years, football and various other sports have put a emphasis on who is the fastest and strongest.  As far as I can recall Diego Maradona wasn't known for his pace was he?  I don't think he was.  Players from the past "had the first couple of yards in their head" to use an old phrase.  I love when they show old clips from previous tournaments during the World Cup and European Championships, especially the 1980s and 1990s, it shows up how the game has evolved and not always for the better.