The Quatar World Cup 2022

shull

On 11/28/2022 at 12:29 PM, Percy Veer said:

I think you should make an appointment with Specsavers as you clearly need reading glasses.  When replying to a post, it helps if you pay attention to the username of the person who has made that post.

As for the rest of your post, in sports that are featured in events like the Olympic Games, which I always enjoy, I believe in some events the modern athletes are better compared to their predecessors.  In some cases this won't necessarily be case.  There's no real point in comparing Carl Lewis with Usain Bolt as you correctly point out.  However over the years, football and various other sports have put a emphasis on who is the fastest and strongest.  As far as I can recall Diego Maradona wasn't known for his pace was he?  I don't think he was.  Players from the past "had the first couple of yards in their head" to use an old phrase.  I love when they show old clips from previous tournaments during the World Cup and European Championships, especially the 1980s and 1990s, it shows up how the game has evolved and not always for the better.

Hmm, the Diego Maradona I saw at Hampden was lightning quick in every aspect of the game

Also the St Mirren team of 1980 that played St Etienne would trounce the current side !

Edited by lenziebud

19 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Hmm, the Diego Maradona I saw at Hampden was lightning quick in every aspect of the game

Also the St Mirren team of 1980 that played St Etienne would trounce the current side !

Of course he was quick, he was doped up to the eyeballs.

Of course they would, we were blessed with more than a few good players then.

Most, if not all, of that 1980 team wouldn't be fit enough to get into the current team. As I already said, footballers can only really be judged against those "of their time". Pele, in his prime, would probably be hard pushed to get into the current Brazil side. I'm not saying that players of yesteryear were "worse" (which is totally subjective), just that they had a "different skillset" to modern players and I doubt that football would be any different to sports that can be "measured" (e.g. athletics, weightlifting) in that modern day adherents would probably best the historical ones if it were possible to actually pit them against each other.

Again, whether or not that makes it "better" or more entertaining, is totally subjective.

17 hours ago, lenziebud said:

May I ask what year Diego Maradona played at Hampden Park?  I only witnessed him from 1990 onwards, maybe he wasn't as fast from then on?

19 hours ago, Slarti said:

Most, if not all, of that 1980 team wouldn't be fit enough to get into the current team. As I already said, footballers can only really be judged against those "of their time". Pele, in his prime, would probably be hard pushed to get into the current Brazil side. I'm not saying that players of yesteryear were "worse" (which is totally subjective), just that they had a "different skillset" to modern players and I doubt that football would be any different to sports that can be "measured" (e.g. athletics, weightlifting) in that modern day adherents would probably best the historical ones if it were possible to actually pit them against each other.

Again, whether or not that makes it "better" or more entertaining, is totally subjective.

Yes definitely a different skill set .They weren't a shower of diving cheats

I think Croatia v Brazil could go to Extra Time.  If you're very interested in the tactical side of the game then this is an intriguing match up.  If you're more interested in goals and lots of excitement it might not be for you.  I think Croatia have been set-up well for their respective opponents.