The Quatar World Cup 2022

shull

11 hours ago, Slarti said:

Don't watch it then, shull.

In general, every generation of sports people, in every sport, are better than the previous generation. Whether or not this makes the sport better as a spectacle is a matter of opinion. In sports where things can be definitively measured there can be no argument, in sports that cannot lots seem to think that sports people were better in the past. If there was no such thing as a stopwatch, people would be arguing whether Carl Lewis would have beaten Usain Bolt. Footballers can only really be measured against those in their own generation and even then it is pretty subjective.

Pompous claptrap. We all know a decent player when we see one. I havent seen any Maradonnas, Berkamps or Ronaldinhos at this World Cup.

1 hour ago, shull said:

What a shower of diving cheating bassas Brazil are.

Fecking Cnuts.

The Swiss are culpable also.

FECKEM 

I only saw the last twenty minutes of Brazil v Switzerland.  At least serial diver extraordinaire Neymar wasn't playing.

I like Yann Sommer, he's been a top goalkeeper for Switzerland and Borussia Mönchengladbach for years.

11 minutes ago, elvis said:

An absolute f**king joke of a penalty.If ever you needed proof that VAR has f**ked the game there it was.

It is exactly the type St Mirren have had given against them on more than one occasion this season. There was actually one earlier in the match that was not looked at which I thought was a penalty.

I think you should make an appointment with Specsavers as you clearly need reading glasses.  When replying to a post, it helps if you pay attention to the username of the person who has made that post.
As for the rest of your post, in sports that are featured in events like the Olympic Games, which I always enjoy, I believe in some events the modern athletes are better compared to their predecessors.  In some cases this won't necessarily be case.  There's no real point in comparing Carl Lewis with Usain Bolt as you correctly point out.  However over the years, football and various other sports have put a emphasis on who is the fastest and strongest.  As far as I can recall Diego Maradona wasn't known for his pace was he?  I don't think he was.  Players from the past "had the first couple of yards in their head" to use an old phrase.  I love when they show old clips from previous tournaments during the World Cup and European Championships, especially the 1980s and 1990s, it shows up how the game has evolved and not always for the better.

I did pay attention to the username.

My point was that, when things are subjective, there will always be arguments and that, without a stopwatch, the 100m would be subjective which would, no doubt, lead to people arguing the point.

As already said, "better" is a subjective term when there is no definitive way to measure.

The game in the past may have been more entertaining (again, subjective) but that doesn't mean that the players were "better". The fact that, in sports that can be definitively measured, records are constantly broken (with a few exceptions where 1. the competitors are now regarded as being massive drug cheats; 2. the sport has drastically changed, e.g. javelin; or 3. records were set at altitude) would strongly suggest that, in sports that cannot be definitively measured, the competitors would also be getting "better". There are obviously a few potential outliers, that's why I said "in general". If you have any evidence to the contrary that doesn't rely on opinion, feel free to present it.

30 minutes ago, Slarti said:

I did pay attention to the username.

My point was that, when things are subjective, there will always be arguments and that, without a stopwatch, the 100m would be subjective which would, no doubt, lead to people arguing the point.

As already said, "better" is a subjective term when there is no definitive way to measure.

The game in the past may have been more entertaining (again, subjective) but that doesn't mean that the players were "better". The fact that, in sports that can be definitively measured, records are constantly broken (with a few exceptions where 1. the co

mpetitors are now regarded as being massive drug cheats; 2. the sport has drastically changed, e.g. javelin; or 3. records were set at altitude) would strongly suggest that, in sports that cannot be definitively measured, the competitors would also be getting "better". There are obviously a few potential outliers, that's why I said "in general". If you have any evidence to the contrary that doesn't rely on opinion, feel free to present it.

1.  So you do need reading glasses as you called me "Shull".

2.  You mean like people like your good self, Faraway and others who continually say that some posters are just an alias of another poster?

I don't know why you're continuing to bring up events from the Olympic Games, I never disagreed with you about that.

I stated an opinion, you seem to have taken umbrage with it and said I was an alias of Shull.

It seems to me you just like starting arguments for the sake of having an argument.

1.  So you do need reading glasses as you called me "Shull".
2.  You mean like people like your good self, Faraway and others who continually say that some posters are just an alias of another poster?
I don't know why you're continuing to bring up events from the Olympic Games, I never disagreed with you about that.
I stated an opinion, you seem to have taken umbrage with it and said I was an alias of Shull.
It seems to me you just like starting arguments for the sake of having an argument.

Yes, shull, I did call you shull.

Some posters ARE just an alias of another poster.

I never mentioned the Olympics.

You said that today's players aren't fit to clean the boots of previous generations. I supplied evidence of why you are, almost certainly, wrong.

At least I don't have a split personality and talk to myself. [emoji1787]

6 hours ago, Slarti said:

Yes, shull, I did call you shull.

Some posters ARE just an alias of another poster.

I never mentioned the Olympics.

You said that today's players aren't fit to clean the boots of previous generations. I supplied evidence of why you are, almost certainly, wrong.

At least I don't have a split personality and talk to myself. emoji1787.png

Ok then Faraway Saint, how is your holiday going?  Rubbish if you're on here all day I presume?

You may not have used the words "Olympics" or "Olympic Games" but you brought Carl Lewis and Usian Bolt into a conversation about footballers of different generations.  You can't deny that, Faraway Saint!  I know you don't go to many football matches Faraway Saint, so you'll probably think that Carl Lewis and Usian Bolt are footballers.  Before you say it, I know Usian Bolt played in a Charity Football Match and he had a brief trial somewhere but he didn't "cut it" as a footballer.  You might know that though as you spend all your time watching live sport on television (so you keep telling us).

Are you enjoying this afternoons matches, Faraway Saint?

Edited by Percy Veer

39 minutes ago, Percy Veer said:

Ok then Faraway Saint, how is your holiday going?  Rubbish if you're on here all day I presume?

You may not have used the words "Olympics" or "Olympic Games" but you brought Carl Lewis and Usian Bolt into a conversation about footballers of different generations.  You can't deny that, Faraway Saint!  I know you don't go to many football matches Faraway Saint, so you'll probably think that Carl Lewis and Usian Bolt are footballers.  Before you say it, I know Usian Bolt played in a Charity Football Match and he had a brief trial somewhere but he didn't "cut it" as a footballer.  You might know that though as you spend all your time watching live sport on television (so you keep telling us).

Are you enjoying this afternoons matches, Faraway Saint?

Wow, I’ve seen some shit on here in my time but that is on a different level 😂😂😂

17 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Wow, I’ve seen some shit on here in my time but that is on a different level 😂😂😂

Apart from your own, Callum?

Everyone on here posts rubbish from time to time, you're no different from me or anyone else.  I know perfectly well Slarti isn't Faraway Saint but as it's the "in thing" on here to call people by other usernames then I thought I'd join in.  After all, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Edited by Percy Veer
Added on an "s".