The Quatar World Cup 2022

shull

42 minutes ago, guinness said:

Argentina get a ridiculous penalty but Messi misses it. Think that is 25 he has missed  out of 110. Not a great record.

And another effort over the bar once again.  As I said before, earning as much as he and other similar players do, the least I'd expect is shots on target every time.  Most of them, in my opinion, aren't fit to clean or tie the boots of their predecessors.

4 minutes ago, guinness said:

2-0 Argentina. Should be 4 or 5. Look like qualifying. Poland could go to number of bookings to see who qualify between them and Mexico.

The second Argentina goal was teriffic!  Very good team play and finish by Julián Álvarez.  Maybe Julian could teach Messi how to get shots on target.

20 minutes ago, guinness said:

Poland qualify having contributed absolutely nothing to this match. They were incredibly poor and did not even seem to try very hard.

I understand where you're coming from Guinness but football, like any other sport, is a results driven business.  Getting the "job done" is what it's all about.  The Poland Head Coach and his background team would take into account the number of goals they could concede, the number of yellow cards they could and couldn't afford to pick up and still progress.  I'm pretty sure a Scotland coach would have set-up similarly given who the opponents were.

Put it this way, St. Mirren have taken points from and put the Blue and Green mobs out of domestic cup competitions by defending heroically and being negative at times.  Was it pretty?  Probably not.  Did it get the "job done" and bring pleasure to many Buddies?  Yes, of course it did.

50 minutes ago, guinness said:

Poland qualify having contributed absolutely nothing to this match. They were incredibly poor and did not even seem to try very hard.

I agree. I feel really sorry for the Mexicans. At least they looked as if they wanted it. The Poles brought nowt to the party. I hope they get royally thumped by France.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

I agree. I feel really sorry for the Mexicans. At least they looked as if they wanted it. The Poles brought nowt to the party. I hope they get royally thumped by France.

I'm assuming you haven't watched the previous games involving Mexico?

I've only seen snippets but, until tonight, they were honking. 

You usually find the better teams are above the shittier teams. 😜

27 minutes ago, Percy Veer said:

I understand where you're coming from Guinness but football, like any other sport, is a results driven business.  Getting the "job done" is what it's all about.  The Poland Head Coach and his background team would take into account the number of goals they could concede, the number of yellow cards they could and couldn't afford to pick up and still progress.  I'm pretty sure a Scotland coach would have set-up similarly given who the opponents were.

Put it this way, St. Mirren have taken points from and put the Blue and Green mobs out of domestic cup competitions by defending heroically and being negative at times.  Was it pretty?  Probably not.  Did it get the "job done" and bring pleasure to many Buddies?  Yes, of course it did.

My point was they did not defend heroically. They did almost nothing. Only Argentina missing a good couple of sitters and being happy to pass it about for minutes on end  got them through. I understand them being happy to qualify but there did not seem to be any planning behind it.

2 minutes ago, guinness said:

My point was they did not defend heroically. They did almost nothing. Only Argentina missing a good couple of sitters and being happy to pass it about for minutes on end  got them through. I understand them being happy to qualify but there did not seem to be any planning behind it.

For the second time this evening you have misinterpreted my post.  I mentioned defending heroically when talking about St. Mirren v those two.

If Poland had tried to take the game to Argentina, they probably would have been humiliated.  If you were in charge of the Poland National Team this evening, would you have ordered your players to really go for it or try and contain Argentina with a view to getting a goal on the break and if not get a goal, get a 0-0 draw or a low score defeat?

As I said earlier, getting the "job done" is what it's all about.  Over the three games Poland have done enough to get through to the next round.  It's hard to argue with that?