St Mirren v St Johnstone SPFL PREMIERSHIP 9/11/22

shull

I hope Greive now gets a start ahead of Ayunga. He contributes far more to the team with his closing down, running and passing. Was really annoyed with Ayunga last night when he came on. He was lazy and just sauntered about as if he couldn't be bothered. We were against 10 men and should have been running them ragged. And that pathetic 'attempt' that went clean over the family stand?

And big shout to Kiltie. Thought he had a very good game. And besides a few decent passes Ethan was again poor in marking and closing down. Needs to up his game defensively.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

I hope Greive now gets a start ahead of Ayunga. He contributes far more to the team with his closing down, running and passing. Was really annoyed with Ayunga last night when he came on. He was lazy and just sauntered about as if he couldn't be bothered. We were against 10 men and should have been running them ragged. And that pathetic 'attempt' that went clean over the family stand?

And big shout to Kiltie. Thought he had a very good game. And besides a few decent passes Ethan was again poor in marking and closing down. Needs to up his game defensively.

My exact thoughts on Ayunga too, that lazy shot that he fired over the bar was embarrassing, he looked half arsed when he came on. Brophy also done far more during his time on, chasing lost causes and closing everything down.

Edited by JJ McG

23 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Yep, I tend not to post when I'm at the game or in the pub after it. You should try it - at least the first part.

I also tend not to get into subjective discussions (like match day threads) as opinions are (in the main) unimportant - and, yes, that's my opinion and probably one which is unimportant to you so you can no doubt understand what I mean.

🤣🤣🤣

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
I'm glad you're amused. I was amused to discover that you couldn't figure out that, if there are four teams with MORE POINTS than us, we weren't fourth (equal or otherwise). Just to help you, it's five that comes after four (then six, seven, eight and nine - we can save the double digit numbers for later).

Just now, Slarti said:
22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:
emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

I'm glad you're amused. I was amused to discover that you couldn't figure out that, if there are four teams with MORE POINTS than us, we weren't fourth (equal or otherwise). Just to help you, it's five that comes after four (then six, seven, eight and nine - we can save the double digit numbers for later).

Later mate, busy. 😜😜

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

A poor result but while we're not Man City it wasn't a poor performance against a side who are on good form.

No it was, I thought we were pretty awful the whole night, especially second. I thought we actually played better in the County defeat than we did last night. Failing to beat 10 man St Johnstone at home is simply not good enough.

Just now, TopCat said:

No it was, I thought we were pretty awful the whole night, especially second. I thought we actually played better in the County defeat than we did last night. Failing to beat 10 man St Johnstone at home is simply not good enough.

No, it wasn't. We were against a team who'd just beaten Rangers, their 3rd straight win and the goals apart restricted them to next to nothing.

We were seconds away from a deserved win

Just now, faraway saint said:

No, it wasn't. We were against a team who'd just beaten Rangers, their 3rd straight win and the goals apart restricted them to next to nothing.

We were seconds away from a deserved win

Why do you think we deserved to win? They also restricted us to next to nothing goals apart, I don't recall us missing a meaningful chance. Indeed they were the better side until they went down to 10, when they then shut up shop, understandably. It was a dreadful performance against a team who finished 11th last year and had been struggling this season up until recently. If we are going to make top six, these are must win games.

Despite playing so poorly we should have won the game thanks to an absolute wonder goal. Unfortunately, poor game management by the players and manager cos us. 

5 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Why do you think we deserved to win? They also restricted us to next to nothing goals apart, I don't recall us missing a meaningful chance. Indeed they were the better side until they went down to 10, when they then shut up shop, understandably. It was a dreadful performance against a team who finished 11th last year and had been struggling this season up until recently. If we are going to make top six, these are must win games.

Despite playing so poorly we should have won the game thanks to an absolute wonder goal. Unfortunately, poor game management by the players and manager cos us. 

The manager? 🤣🤣🤣

I knew that was coming. 

Against a team that won two national trophies the year before last, how long do you want to go back as previous seasons are next irrelevant. 

18 minutes ago, TopCat said:

11 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The manager? 🤣🤣🤣

I knew that was coming. 

Against a team that won two national trophies the year before last, how long do you want to go back as previous seasons are next irrelevant. 

It's a shocking result against a team that didn't even exist in 1883. :whistle

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Nonsense,

Overall it wasn't a bad performance, better than Killie Livi and County games at home,  and a great deal better than County and Hibs away, I thought Kiltie played well but can blow hot and cold our midfield needs a bit of help Robinson needs to rotate the squad and change the tactics from time to time Kiltie proved that.. 

14 hours ago, JJ McG said:

My exact thoughts on Ayunga too, that lazy shot that he fired over the bar was embarrassing, he looked half arsed when he came on. Brophy also done far more during his time on, chasing lost causes and closing everything down.

It’s clear from your posts Bud that you are a Brophy fan. I just don’t get where your unwavering faith in him comes from. He’s done next to nothing in his entire time with us and has spent a considerable amount of time injured. 
He is literally at the top of my list of the “big earners” that I would punt out of the club at the first opportunity. 
For me he has been pretty much a complete failure. 

8 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

It’s clear from your posts Bud that you are a Brophy fan. I just don’t get where your unwavering faith in him comes from. He’s done next to nothing in his entire time with us and has spent a considerable amount of time injured. 
He is literally at the top of my list of the “big earners” that I would punt out of the club at the first opportunity. 
For me he has been pretty much a complete failure. 

He was our joint top scorer last year with eight goals, which given how much time he spent out is a fantastic return. Complete failure? We've had plenty of signings over the last decade that have been complete failures, he is not one of them.

He's the only natural goal scorer we have in the squad - perhaps Grieve will be too but not been here long enough yet. The hatred of Brophy amongst a section of support is baffling. Robinson rightly spoke highly of him in the summer and I expect him to play a big part for us in the rest of the season. He has had fitness issues no doubt, and it's because of them he is playing with us. He's a Scotland squad level striker when fit and firing, let's hope we can get him back there. 

Brophy arguably plays his best football out wide and has won a number of corners for us. Has good link up play but is selfish when in a shooting position when a better option is available. Really all about his fitness and consisitency to get and keep a place on the team sheet.

JJ was comparing Brophy's contribution on Wednesday night with Ayunga's. And he wasn't wrong imho. Ayunga seems to have a gearbox problem as of late where he cannot get out of first gear. Lethergic and disinterested. He is also incapable of lifting his head to see where his teammates are to pass to them but looks at his feet all the time until he runs into trouble. Maybe it is a confidence thing as he was playing far better at the start of the season. But for me Greive then Brophy should start before him as both offer so much more to the team.

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

He was our joint top scorer last year with eight goals, which given how much time he spent out is a fantastic return. Complete failure? We've had plenty of signings over the last decade that have been complete failures, he is not one of them.

He's the only natural goal scorer we have in the squad - perhaps Grieve will be too but not been here long enough yet. The hatred of Brophy amongst a section of support is baffling. Robinson rightly spoke highly of him in the summer and I expect him to play a big part for us in the rest of the season. He has had fitness issues no doubt, and it's because of them he is playing with us. He's a Scotland squad level striker when fit and firing, let's hope we can get him back there. 

Sorry but I disagree with you. His return on investment has been poor whatever way you cut it and time spent on the treatment table is no excuse. On the contrary, it only adds to the issue.

And for the record, I don’t hate Brophy at all. I was delighted when we signed him and I’ve wanted him to do well the entire time he’s been with us. However, for me his time is up and we can no longer keep justifying his wages. 

35 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sorry but I disagree with you. His return on investment has been poor whatever way you cut it and time spent on the treatment table is no excuse. On the contrary, it only adds to the issue.

And for the record, I don’t hate Brophy at all. I was delighted when we signed him and I’ve wanted him to do well the entire time he’s been with us. However, for me his time is up and we can no longer keep justifying his wages. 

Like I said, he's had one full season here which he finished as our joint top scorer. I wouldn't rank him anywhere near one of our wort investment of the last ten years, we've signed strikers who haven't scored a single goal for us. There's certainly more to come from him and we can judge his return when he leaves the club. Robbo rates him, he's fit at the moment and he is coming off the bench every game and is getting back match sharpness. With the world cup break coming up, I expect him to come out of it fully fit on the other side be back in the starting 11 before long. Infact, I'd start him tomorrow. 

Main and Ayunga have two league goals each this season, which is a shocking return given their minutes played. Main's both came in one game at Tannadice, Ayunga's were a consolation penalty at Pittodrie and the fantastic second against Cetic. They aren't scoring enough and if they continue at their current scoring rate they're not even going to match Brophy's injury hit total from last season. We need a proven goal scorer at this level in the team, and we have one in Brophy.

Edited by TopCat

52 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Like I said, he's had one full season here which he finished as our joint top scorer. I wouldn't rank him anywhere near one of our wort investment of the last ten years, we've signed strikers who haven't scored a single goal for us. There's certainly more to come from him and we can judge his return when he leaves the club. Robbo rates him, he's fit at the moment and he is coming off the bench every game and is getting back match sharpness. With the world cup break coming up, I expect him to come out of it fully fit on the other side be back in the starting 11 before long. Infact, I'd start him tomorrow. 

Main and Ayunga have two league goals each this season, which is a shocking return given their minutes played. Main's both came in one game at Tannadice, Ayunga's were a consolation penalty at Pittodrie and the fantastic second against Cetic. They aren't scoring enough and if they continue at their current scoring rate they're not even going to match Brophy's injury hit total from last season. We need a proven goal scorer at this level in the team, and we have one in Brophy.

I obviously can’t directly argue any of your points, but I just don’t share your optimism that he will come good. We’ve been saying that since he joined. If he’s true to form, he’ll win his place back (mainly due to any ineptitude on the part of Ayunga) and then pick up another injury and be out again. I’ve just run out of hope now that he’ll come good. I also don’t think he brings much else to the party so if he’s not scoring goals he’s not doing anything.

Main on the other at least makes up for his lack of goals in other ways. I couldn’t have been more critical of him last season but he’s made me eat my words this season.

In any case, I’m not really here to compare Brophy to our other strikers. I just think he’s had more time than any of them to show what he can do, but has failed to do so and I’m certainly not going to soil my breeks over a striker finishing as top scorer in a one off season with 8 goals.

I just feel like people are desperate for Brophy to deliver for us, what he did in a relatively short spell for Killie. I’m no different, I just no longer think it’s going to happen. 

6 hours ago, TopCat said:

Like every player who joins Saints, I wish them success. Unfortunately for me it’s simply not happened for Brophy - mixture of injury , injury, lack of form & injury has hampered him .

As for the bit in Bold ? Really ?    He is a Scotland squad Striker only in the same way that Gary Kenneth was a Scotland Squad Defender …. Naebody else was available !! 

It’s looking like Brophys legacy when he leaves us is that he replaced Kyle Magennis as  the custodian of the Craig Dargo memorial treatment table for a significant spell.