Handball rule

With VAR technology available it was initially brought in to assist referees in making decisions however it is now dictating decisions as per the questionable handball rule.

With regards to handball inside the penalty box I think it would be better use of VAR to assist the referee in deciding whether the handball was deliberate or not and in turn be able to make the following decisions.

1) Deliberate handball - Penalty

2) Any Handball that deflected a shot from a possible goal unless arms are by their side - Penalty

3) Any deemed - non deliberate handball that deflects a cross or passage of play inside the box - Free kick on the edge of the 18 yard box in line with where handball occurred only after passage of play has continued and not resulting in a goal.

The 3rd part of this might stop players screaming for handballs at every possible opportunity. 

Between the ref and video assistant it would at least give them the option of making a decision based on an opinion rather than ruining games with straight penalties for what can only be classed as a minor defensive error and possibly unavoidable. 

Even the refs appear that they are getting a bit pissed off at having to award a straight penalty for a debatable decision.

Any comments, suggestions, additions, amendments welcome before I pick up the phone to Infantino to tell him what he needs to do. 🙃

3 hours ago, truesaint said:

With VAR technology available it was initially brought in to assist referees in making decisions however it is now dictating decisions as per the questionable handball rule.

With regards to handball inside the penalty box I think it would be better use of VAR to assist the referee in deciding whether the handball was deliberate or not and in turn be able to make the following decisions.

2) Any Handball that deflected a shot from a possible goal unless arms are by their side - Penalty

3) Any deemed - non deliberate handball that deflects a cross or passage of play inside the box - Free kick on the edge of the 18 yard box in line with where handball occurred only after passage of play has continued and not resulting in a goal.

The 3rd part of this might stop players screaming for handballs at every possible opportunity. 

Between the ref and video assistant it would at least give them the option of making a decision based on an opinion rather than ruining games with straight penalties for what can only be classed as a minor defensive error and possibly unavoidable. 

Even the refs appear that they are getting a bit pissed off at having to award a straight penalty for a debatable decision.

Any comments, suggestions, additions, amendments welcome before I pick up the phone to Infantino to tell him what he needs to do. 🙃

4) If a Sevco or Celtic player touches the ball anywhere on the pitch - penalty (to the opposition, obviously).

5) If any opponent of St Mirren touches the ball anywhere on the pitch - penalty (to St Mirren, obviously).

:whistle

31 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Our players when crossing into the box should be aiming for the blocking player arms in future, rather than our so called strikers, might help our pens tally  😂

In many of the penalties I've seen awarded since in the introduction of VAR, that is exactly what players seem to be doing. 

VAR should not be involved in these decisions. Give it back to the opinion of the referee.

The penalties being awarded are farcical and undermining VAR which in the main is a good thing IMO.

The referee the other night had no intention of awarding a pen having 100% seen the incident as there was no intent. It goes against the whole spirit of the game. He awarded it as he had no real option after VAR got involved

I'm hoping WC final is decided on one of these farcical decisions to kick FIFA in the nuts

Edited by lenziebud

45 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

VAR should not be involved in these decisions. Give it back to the opinion of the referee.

The penalties being awarded are farcical and undermining VAR which in the main is a good thing IMO.

The referee the other night had no intention of awarding a pen having 100% seen the incident as there was no intent. It goes against the whole spirit of the game. He awarded it as he had no real option after VAR got involved

I'm hoping WC final is decided on one of these farcical decisions to kick FIFA in the nuts

Did the last World Cup final not have a dubious handball penalty?  No-one seems to care any more. Think you just have to accept any hand ball is a penalty. Intent has gone. VAR  seems to be desperate to give penalties and cancel all other goals. Modern supporters seem happy with this. Either accept it or stop going. I am still undecided but have not enjoyed the last few weeks watching players hanging about waiting for someone to decide what is a penalty . With the one against St Johnstone , there is no doubt it was a handball. Therefore it is a penalty or not. Why does that take three minutes?

9 minutes ago, guinness said:

Did the last World Cup final not have a dubious handball penalty?  No-one seems to care any more. Think you just have to accept any hand ball is a penalty. Intent has gone. VAR  seems to be desperate to give penalties and cancel all other goals. Modern supporters seem happy with this. Either accept it or stop going. I am still undecided but have not enjoyed the last few weeks watching players hanging about waiting for someone to decide what is a penalty . With the one against St Johnstone , there is no doubt it was a handball. Therefore it is a penalty or not. Why does that take three minutes?

Think you'll find most people in the game are against it and change will come. Suspect at the end of the season. Its not working and the unnatural position stuff is just beyond a joke, so much so that forwards are deliberately hitting a ball at a defenders arm. A Farce.

This idea of "intent" is secondary as the ball was heading into a dangerous area, or the goal, so if a hand/arm was hit on the flight of the ball it's a penalty.

Plenty of players get sent off when it clearly wasn't intended, but still came into contact with the opponent. 

Not rocket science, the English leagues went through the same level of uncertainty, and to a certain extent still are, with the majority of decisions being correct getting overlooked. 

Sigh...................

14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

This idea of "intent" is secondary as the ball was heading into a dangerous area, or the goal, so if a hand/arm was hit on the flight of the ball it's a penalty.

Plenty of players get sent off when it clearly wasn't intended, but still came into contact with the opponent. 

Not rocket science, the English leagues went through the same level of uncertainty, and to a certain extent still are, with the majority of decisions being correct getting overlooked. 

Sigh...................

The majority of decisions being correct is only an opinion. There is no guarantee VAR decisions are correct. Most of them are still just an opinion. Offside  shoule be black or white but even that comes down to opinion.  The Scottish system with so few cameras cannit  guarantee to be correct. I accept it is here to stay and may improve but it will always be an impediment to enjoying the game in my opinion . Listening to the people round about me at matches very few are happy with it. It seems to be more popular with people who watch from home rather than those who actually attend  matches.

6 minutes ago, guinness said:

The majority of decisions being correct is only an opinion. There is no guarantee VAR decisions are correct. Most of them are still just an opinion. Offside  shoule be black or white but even that comes down to opinion.  The Scottish system with so few cameras cannit  guarantee to be correct. I accept it is here to stay and may improve but it will always be an impediment to enjoying the game in my opinion . Listening to the people round about me at matches very few are happy with it. It seems to be more popular with people who watch from home rather than those who actually attend  matches.

No it isn't. :lol:

13 minutes ago, guinness said:

In your opinion.

No, check it out, the internet is a great invention. :lol:

What percentage of VAR decisions are correct?

94 per cent

What sort of success rate does VAR have? According to the Premier League website, the introduction of VAR in 2019/20 increased the percentage of correct key match decisions from 82 per cent the previous year to 94 per cent.9 Sept 2022

No, check it out, the internet is a great invention. [emoji38]
What percentage of VAR decisions are correct?     94 per cent   What sort of success rate does VAR have? According to the Premier League website, the introduction of VAR in 2019/20 increased the percentage of correct key match decisions from 82 per cent the previous year to 94 per cent.9 Sept 2022
Isn't that just someone's (or a few folk's) opinion on what the correct decision should be?

14 minutes ago, Slarti said:
1 hour ago, faraway saint said:
No, check it out, the internet is a great invention. emoji38.png
What percentage of VAR decisions are correct?     94 per cent   What sort of success rate does VAR have? According to the Premier League website, the introduction of VAR in 2019/20 increased the percentage of correct key match decisions from 82 per cent the previous year to 94 per cent.9 Sept 2022

Isn't that just someone's (or a few folk's) opinion on what the correct decision should be?

No. 

3 hours ago, guinness said:

No one was available at Ibrox to take the call 

On 11/10/2022 at 11:40 AM, truesaint said:

Any comments, suggestions, additions, amendments welcome before I pick up the phone to Infantino to tell him what he needs to do🙃

Yes I have one

Just tell them VAR is a Crock of Shit 

While I am in favour of VAR I have said previously it is down to the officials to ensure it is implemented properly, the Baccus incident is a prime example, currently our officials are keen to play with the toy, as they were in England at first, they need to go through the criticism of decisions before they get to a point of agreeing how far back an infingement happened that influenced the goal, penalty etc. We certainly don't want decisions made by going so far back that they look at how the players ran on to the pitch in an incorrect formation, or missed the last step coming off the team bus.

1 hour ago, StanleySaint said:

While I am in favour of VAR I have said previously it is down to the officials to ensure it is implemented properly, the Baccus incident is a prime example, currently our officials are keen to play with the toy, as they were in England at first, they need to go through the criticism of decisions before they get to a point of agreeing how far back an infingement happened that influenced the goal, penalty etc. We certainly don't want decisions made by going so far back that they look at how the players ran on to the pitch in an incorrect formation, or missed the last step coming off the team bus.

Sadly i think today's game is going to show how bad or corrupt our refs are .If we score today I expect them to look as far back as our keeper looking for something to chop it off for especially with Dallas on VAR and you can bet your bottom dollar they will get a penalty for Morelas diving in our box.

4 minutes ago, elvis said:

Sadly i think today's game is going to show how bad or corrupt our refs are .If we score today I expect them to look as far back as our keeper looking for something to chop it off for especially with Dallas on VAR and you can bet your bottom dollar they will get a penalty for Morelas diving in our box.

The very fact that they have picked Dallas, with the public knowledge of his affiliation to the dead club, as the VAR official shows how corrupt the system is and how they don't give a f**k who knows it.