Sts v Aberdeen Christmas Eve

HSS

Three excellent points from a team just getting back to form after not playing a competitive game for several weeks.

I agree with a lot of the points made above, especially O'Hara, who has been an excellent addition to the squad ever since he arrived.

Also agree that SR was right to take Erhahon off. Might have got himself sent off otherwise.

I see that opinions are, as usual, divided about Ayunga. I have criticised him almost from the start of the season for trying to dribble past opponents. It's a skill he just doesn't seem to have. When he tries to do it, he almost always loses the ball. That happened again yesterday on quite a few occasions. However, he causes havoc in opposing defences when he runs into the box with the ball due to his size and strength. That was on view throughout the game yesterday and gained us two penalties. I see that BBC gave him man of the match yesterday. While I wouldn't go that far, I think he did well overall, and would always want him in the starting eleven.

As for the VAR problem yesterday. According to the radio, they seemed to have the same problem at Easter Road. Was explained on BBC that the sound link between the ref and the Glasgow VAR team was OK but no pictures were available to the ref at the ground. That would explain why Walsh didn't go to the monitor during the game, but he was still receiving advice from the VAR team in Glasgow.

7 minutes ago, pondsman said:

I see that opinions are, as usual, divided about Ayunga. I have criticised him almost from the start of the season for trying to dribble past opponents. It's a skill he just doesn't seem to have. When he tries to do it, he almost always loses the ball. That happened again yesterday on quite a few occasions. However, he causes havoc in opposing defences when he runs into the box with the ball due to his size and strength. That was on view throughout the game yesterday and gained us two penalties. I see that BBC gave him man of the match yesterday. While I wouldn't go that far, I think he did well overall, and would always want him in the starting eleven.

As usual the BBC are all over the place as further down this is showing Kiltie.

image.png.94e251ff01429ad6003d14745036160b.png

I think his glaring misses yesterday were a source of frustration for many, myself included.

His inconsistency, ranging from "terrorising defences" to "racecourse standard" are pretty much where I see him.

Edited by faraway saint

16 hours ago, Warrior Saint said:

Ayunga won u 2 penalties and got fouled for sending off ya fud!

Tut tut. Language dear ?boy?

He also missed with one of the tamest penalties we will ever see and did the square root of hee haw for the rest of the match.

And... Who is it "u" support?

23 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Good 3 points. But rode our luck a bit. Good team performance. But O'Hara was a stand out. MOM without a doubt. But Main was excellent too. But we need to learn how to play against 10 men. Looked like the St.johnstone game all over again. Merry Xmas to all the buddies.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

What I couldn't understand was when Aberdeen were all over over us with only ten men and getting corner after corner we had our 11 players in the box defending. Why not keep one if not two players on half way line.

Tut tut. Language dear ?boy?
He also missed with one of the tamest penalties we will ever see and did the square root of hee haw for the rest of the match.
And... Who is it "u" support?
I'm really not sure what game you were watching.

For all Ayunga's profligacy in front of goal he was a constant thorn in the side of Aberdeen.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, Warrior Saint said:

They had all players forward, only weakens us defensively if we leave men upfield....

We had an extra player so no need to pull everybody into the box. We gave them that option because we filled the box.

Easiest penalty decision for the ref with 21 players pulling/pushing. 

1 hour ago, hamlet said:

We had an extra player so no need to pull everybody into the box. We gave them that option because we filled the box.

Let’s not forget that we were forced into substituting Ethan by the referees ineptitude.
That allowed Aberdeen more time and space even with 10men. We will notice the impact of Ethan when he moves on. He has come on leaps and bounds under Robinson.

The penalty miss/save had a massive impact on both teams. We naively sat back. Aberdeen rightly sensed a chance that they were still in the game.

The shouts and screams from three sides of the stadium for their goalkeeper to go up for the last corner really put a smile on everyones face. I’m sure even Goodwin had a wry smile about that once the dust had settled.

14 hours ago, FTOF said:

I'm really not sure what game you were watching.

For all Ayunga's profligacy in front of goal he was a constant thorn in the side of Aberdeen.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Watching it live I wasn't alone in expressing my disbelief that Main had been subbed and Ayunga remained on the field. Watching it back on ALBA reinforced my opinion. For most of the match he was anonymous. When he got the ball he seemed to take an age to decide what to do, usually culminating on him deciding wrongly. He did get us two penalties but I think the Aberdeen defenders were foolhardy as, if they had left him to it, I truly believe he would have f**ked it up. Headless chicken comes to mind.

If there was 21 players in the box, who was taking the corner. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

A fantastic 3 points and deserved imho but we made some hard work out of that. 20 mins to go and Ayunga was absolutely knackered but kept on the pitch which was a mistake. He had no composure. Loads of running but easy chances missed and at one point we had a break of 3 on 1 and he f**ks up a simple pass. Kiltie was very impressive after coming on and Brophy should have been on a lot sooner. But O'Hara MoM and Aberdeen made a big mistake in letting Gallagher go when you look at the central defence they now have. And Jim having a wee greet on Radio Scotland. Delicious. PS Great crowd today.
I feel as Ayunga and Main do the job that Robo wants the best, but he keeps them on way too long. The Aberdeen (Diverdeen as my 8yo shouts) game they were both f**ked. That is because they cause so many problems. It's not just pissing about poaching. He expected them to annoy the defence, defend so high up and pressure. They get asked to do loads.

The worry is then having none of the same on the bench that they stay on way too long and when f**ked. Brophy isn't the man for that. Greive a bit, takes a beating at times for it, but still needs to get stronger for that play. He expects more from the forwards than just to score goals that I can see and hope others can. He has turned main around that I love his play.

I'd love us to get rid of Brophy for the reason he must be on a high wage and cameos is stupid for the money he is on. We need a cheaper player than can do the same as them to help get them off when f**ked.
Lost our way after we missed the penalty and visibly tierd last half hour but overall thought we deserved the win. O’hara MOM for me and think if Ethan leaves and Gogic comes in we are ok - Kiltie has also proved he deserves a run. If we can come up with a left sided player via the Jan transfer wheeling and dealing then I think we are onto something here !
I loved Ronan last season, as could do it all and was annoyed the middle was shit without him. Robo has sorted this by turning Erhahon into like a new player and him having 2 box to box mids next to him and do a lot of work. As skillful as Ronan, maybe not, but the middle has turned stuff around this season. With this turn I will be upset if Erhahon goes, but we know with games Gogic can be better than him in the anchor role in the middle.

I like how Kiltie has changed for me. Playing deep in thought he was lost. I felt he wasn't going to fit the shape, but great having something different from the branch. Move the 2 B2B mids back and him higher and works a treat for him. Love having someone and something different there off the bench.

We have been linked with Scott Robertson from Celtic and alfie mccalmont from Leeds, that he worked with at Morecambe. Could they work in the system? Be rough gems like we have had in the middle? I would love it if they can fit our system.

Richard Taylor (left footed CB) could be a cheaper bench option for Joe leaving. Would be good for the games he gets. Also if left footed covers if Dunne was to leave at the end of season when the contract expires.

To end this too my 8yo son said this was the best Christmas gift ever for the win as don't see goals like goalie f**k ups like that too often. He also missed the first pen as went to the toilet, couldn't watch the second as he was worried so his in my shoulder... Watched the third and we missed it with people around us saying he isn't allowed to watch them now. [emoji1787]

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk