Lewis Jamieson

shull

On 12/2/2022 at 9:53 AM, bazil85 said:

Surely the idea to loan him out can be seen as nothing but a success? We have likely four forward options ahead of him in the senior squad, he's clearly benefited from consistent, first team football. 

He's playing in League 1, a level we know he's good more than enough for given his exploits with Clyde. All of our strikers have been missing with injuries and/or suspensions at some point this season, he'd have been better staying and getting minutes in the Premiership. We are learning nothing with him scoring goals for Airdrie. 

Like our other up and coming academy stars Henderson, Reid and Offord he's been bombed out completely.  It's a pity. 

4 hours ago, TopCat said:

He's playing in League 1, a level we know he's good more than enough for given his exploits with Clyde. All of our strikers have been missing with injuries and/or suspensions at some point this season, he'd have been better staying and getting minutes in the Premiership. We are learning nothing with him scoring goals for Airdrie. 

Like our other up and coming academy stars Henderson, Reid and Offord he's been bombed out completely.  It's a pity. 

8 goals in 17 at League 1 Level is positive for a player of his age but it hardly means he’s ready for regular (full time) football 2 levels above that. I can only remember one game (away to Rangers) when we were struggling for two available strikers. He’d have likely been on the bench the rest of the time. He’s almost certainly getting valuable competitive football this season.  

It’s always a balancing act when playing youth & experience. We have got it right more often than not over the years when you look at our academy production.

Doubt Reid & Offord are ready for the level we are playing at yet & Henderson had been unlucky with the first 11 playing well for most of this season. Erhahon representing in the first team this season which is positive. 

Edited by bazil85

10 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

8 goals in 17 at League 1 Level is positive for a player of his age but it hardly means he’s ready for regular (full time) football 2 levels above that. I can only remember one game (away to Rangers) when we were struggling for two available strikers. He’d have likely been on the bench the rest of the time. He’s almost certainly getting valuable competitive football this season.  

It’s always a balancing act when playing youth & experience. We have got it right more often than not over the years when you look at our academy production.

Doubt Reid & Offord are ready for the level we are playing at yet & Henderson had been unlucky with the first 11 playing well for most of this season. Erhahon representing in the first team this season which is positive. 

Erhahon has been in the team for almost five years and has played under four different managers, he's one of our most experienced players :lol: I didn't say he would or should be starting or even playing every week. My point is it would be better for us and him if he was in the first team squad getting minutes as and when instead of scoring goals against binmen in League 1 - which we already knew he was capable of doing. 

I was expecting - and indeed Robinson said - that more youngsters would get minutes this season. Instead the opposite has happened, the youth players that were getting minutes previously now aren't, and there's no sign of anyone else breaking through. Pity!

18 hours ago, TopCat said:

Erhahon has been in the team for almost five years and has played under four different managers, he's one of our most experienced players :lol: I didn't say he would or should be starting or even playing every week. My point is it would be better for us and him if he was in the first team squad getting minutes as and when instead of scoring goals against binmen in League 1 - which we already knew he was capable of doing. 

I was expecting - and indeed Robinson said - that more youngsters would get minutes this season. Instead the opposite has happened, the youth players that were getting minutes previously now aren't, and there's no sign of anyone else breaking through. Pity!

He’s still only 21, which is my point. Giving youth a chance is a balancing act. Some players mature for first team football at our level at different times. I don’t see how anyone can criticise the team selection this season, is it not our best start to a top flight campaign in over 30 seasons? 

Your point on his capability at league 1 is nonsense. It’s hardly like he’s head & shoulders above everyone else. If we had a player in the top flight with that goal return, it wouldn’t automatically mean he’s outgrown the Scottish premier level 😂

As for ‘no sign’ that’s also rubbish. There’s between 3 & 6 players knocking on the door, including Jamieson. Plenty of youth international recognition. 

Think your posts show regardless of how well things are going for the first team or youth development, we’ll always see fans who can find something to moan about. 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

He’s still only 21, which is my point. Giving youth a chance is a balancing act. Some players mature for first team football at our level at different times. I don’t see how anyone can criticise the team selection this season, is it not our best start to a top flight campaign in over 30 seasons? 

Your point on his capability at league 1 is nonsense. It’s hardly like he’s head & shoulders above everyone else. If we had a player in the top flight with that goal return, it wouldn’t automatically mean he’s outgrown the Scottish premier level 😂

As for ‘no sign’ that’s also rubbish. There’s between 3 & 6 players knocking on the door, including Jamieson. Plenty of youth international recognition. 

Think your posts show regardless of how well things are going for the first team or youth development, we’ll always see fans who can find something to moan about. 

Well…. I took the OPPOSITE understanding of TC’s post to you.  He thinks the yoof are good but not getting sufficient opportunity based on that merit.  
“Knocking on the door” but it's not being opened - that’s not a moan about their development.  It’s a comment on what comes next….  or not.

6 hours ago, antrin said:

Well…. I took the OPPOSITE understanding of TC’s post to you.  He thinks the yoof are good but not getting sufficient opportunity based on that merit.  
“Knocking on the door” but it's not being opened - that’s not a moan about their development.  It’s a comment on what comes next….  or not.

If recent history tells us anything, what comes next is significant resource for the first team from youth & dosh. Don’t see any reason for concern with players like Jamieson. 

Others are of course free to disagree, I’m just not seeing much of a basis for it. Guy must be flying high with confidence & seems to be improving at a very exciting rate. 

2 hours ago, antrin said:

Eh…?  Much of a basis for what?

Jamieson isn’t getting onto the park very often and apart from EE, recently there’s been a dearth of yoof in the first team.  Or have I missed all their matches?

Much of a basis that it would be ‘better for us & Jamieson’ if he was still at the club this season (likely playing next to no competitive football) instead of being on loan where he’s seemingly doing well. Which was Topcats view. 

As I said, I feel it’s difficult to criticise team selection this season given how well we have done. I don’t think that means there is issue with the flow of young talent to the first team.

Yet again, as said. I feel there are several on the cusp of breaking into the team. And that have maybe had to be a bit more patient than years gone by for chances , given our first 11 almost picks itself right now. 

I’m struggling to see the negatives in any of the above, if you think there are then fine. I think Topcat would rather we were playing a wee bit more youth this year, I’d probably challenge on that and say… who should have been dropped? 

On 12/5/2022 at 2:59 PM, TopCat said:

The reason they aren't breaking through is because Robinson doesn't think they aren't good enough. It not too difficult to work out ?

Robinson  gave plenty of young players their opportunity at Motherwell.

Maybe Robinson will get a better standard of young player to the club over time if he stays with us, in the same way that his recruitment so far has been excellent

Edited by lenziebud

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
8 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

The best young talent from our ranks since Lewis Morgan, hopefully he will fulfill his potential at Saints.

Perhaps doing a disservice to Ethan Erhahon who made a significant number of appearances for the first team and also has brought a transfer fee to the club with a decent sell on %. 

By all accounts Ethan is doing great at Lincoln.

Ethan is only a year older than Lewis Jamieson yet made a significant impact at a young age. 

This is a superb opportunity for LJ to kick on with his career and I’m sure we all hope he does extremely well.

Let’s remember how well Frank McAvennie did as a “late developer”. How good would that be if Lewis could be our modern day “Macca”.

IMG_5679.thumb.jpeg.e6deeb3f6111534dbfc5512c2002a8dd.jpegIMG_5680.jpeg.d7582463ef450a6057ada3ca4f97fefe.jpeg