Livingston v St Mirren SPFL PREMIERSHIP 28/12/22

shull

Just in and fairly happy with the point even with their early red. Playing a well drilled spoiling Livvy side on that death trap of a pitch is always a tough gig. 
Strange game tonight. We only started playing when they went ahead. We were too ‘safe’ and slow when we had the man advantage. Had a horrible feeling that we were going to concede at the death. 
Amazed O’Hara wasn’t hooked earlier for Kiltie or Gogic,  like Ethan on Saturday. It was obvious to the whole saints end that he was heading for a second yellow. 
Brophy not squaring that ball to Main was criminal but he’s always taking pot shots from all over the shop so wasn’t completely surprised. I actually thought Brophy’s directness and movement made a real positive impact for us when he came on and he was excellent in the build up to our goal. 
Not a bad point and sitting 5th in the league with games in hand.

We are going in the right direction under Robinson heading into 2023. 

12 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Just in and fairly happy with the point even with their early red. Playing a well drilled spoiling Livvy side on that death trap of a pitch is always a tough gig. 
Strange game tonight. We only started playing when they went ahead. We were too ‘safe’ and slow when we had the man advantage. Had a horrible feeling that we were going to concede at the death. 
Amazed O’Hara wasn’t hooked earlier for Kiltie or Gogic,  like Ethan on Saturday. It was obvious to the whole saints end that he was heading for a second yellow. 
Brophy not squaring that ball to Main was criminal but he’s always taking pot shots from all over the shop so wasn’t completely surprised. I actually thought Brophy’s directness and movement made a real positive impact for us when he came on and he was excellent in the build up to our goal. 
Not a bad point and sitting 5th in the league with games in hand.

We are going in the right direction under Robinson heading into 2023.

Agree with a very balanced review .

Frustrated as I felt we chucked away 2 points tonight. Why at Away games do we not press? We sat back and allowed Livi to control the game. Lucky break when they went down to 10 but we continued to play with 5 at the back and a sitting midfielder - criminal setup against 10 men. Took us to 45 mins to have a shot on goal. And Dunne kicked every cross field ball straight out the park.

Brophy made a big difference when he came on but we should have taken off Erhahon and O'Hara at half time. One sitting too deep and the other obviously about to be sent off as it so proved. Only decided to actually try and attack Livi when we were down to 10 and they were a goal up. Could still have won it but naivety from the players and manager threw 2 points away.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, eastlandssaint said:

Hard earned point on a tricky pitch, point gained, in my view.  

With our away record being so poor this is exactly what we need to be doing, turning losses into draws.

Livingston have only lost 3 games this season at home so it's not an easy place to go and get something so a point, irrespective of the circumstances surrounding the game, is a plus.  

As for the O'Hara situation, it seems that as soon as a player gets booked he should be subbed. :wacko:

PS I'm not saying that a manager doesn't have a decision to make when a player gets booked so a portion of this "blame game" goes towards the manager but the player also should be aware of what type of challenges he can make and the one that O'Hara made was needless and clumsy. 

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

As for the O'Hara situation, it seems that as soon as a player gets booked he should be subbed. :wacko:

PS I'm not saying that a manager doesn't have a decision to make when a player gets booked so a portion of this "blame game" goes towards the manager but the player also should be aware of what type of challenges he can make and the one that O'Hara made was needless and clumsy. 

Absolutely.

Plenty of players get booked early doors and somehow manage to stay on for 90 minutes.

On Saturday Erhahon had lost the rag and was having a go at all and sundry prior to his subsequent withdrawal at HT. Correct decision.

Robinson trusted his captain to stay on the pitch last night. It appears that his trust was misplaced and that the player let him down.

Of course he could have replaced his captain and arguably our best performing midfield player, over the season. However, if we'd lost the game as a consequence, then Robinson would have most likely been getting it in the neck from some for not making the correct decision.

Edited by FTOF

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Problem was O'Hara committed several stupid fouls after he was booked and was warned by the ref. His next foul was always going to be a booking. Stupid from him and the bench for not taking him off.

Agreed but there was hysteria on here last night putting ALL the blame onto the manager.

Agreed but there was hysteria on here last night putting ALL the blame onto the manager.
Players can get caught up in the emotion and are not known for being intelligent. The Away support could see it was an accident waiting to happen as did the manager but he did nothing about it. O'Hara was stupid but Robinson had control of the situation. He should have subbed O'Hara.

8 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Players can get caught up in the emotion and are not known for being intelligent. The Away support could see it was an accident waiting to happen as did the manager but he did nothing about it. O'Hara was stupid but Robinson had control of the situation. He should have subbed O'Hara.

I'm not buying that, I don't happen to know the IQ of O'Hara but, again, if we followed that way of thinking we would have to sub EVERY player as soon as they get booked. 

PS It should be noted that, for whatever reason, we looked sharper after O'Hara was sent off, certainly didn't have any effect on the final result so not worth getting any new Christmas knickers in a twist about. :wink:

Edited by faraway saint

12 hours ago, fmckinn said:

FS Brophy square it and Main has a tap in

For me it’s not so much that he didn’t square it for Main, even though that was the smart move. I’ve no real problem with a striker in that position having the confidence to have a go. 
It’s his complete lack of composure that gets me. There is absolutely zero finesse in the finish. He just blooters it as hard as he can. He does this with the vast majority of his chances and that is why he doesn’t score many goals. It’s very annoying because he’s otherwise a decent player. 

40 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm not buying that, I don't happen to know the IQ of O'Hara but, again, if we followed that way of thinking we would have to sub EVERY player as soon as they get booked. 

PS It should be noted that, for whatever reason, we looked sharper after O'Hara was sent off, certainly didn't have any effect on the final result so not worth getting any new Christmas knickers in a twist about. :wink:

It is how a player continues to play after he is booked. On Saturday it was obvious Erharon had lost it and was correctly subbed. Last night both Gallagher and Dunne were booked but never committed any more rash challenges and there was little concern about them. However O'Hara continued with several stupid challenges before the ref decided he had had enough. I was in praise of Robinson's decision on Saturday but he got that one wrong last night. But we did start playing only when we went down to 10 men so that problem has to be addressed.

11 hours ago, bazil85 said:

We were ‘up against it’ for a long time before he made the changes. Aberdeen had 2 or 3 very good chances & pressed us for around 25 minutes before he subbed in.

I also never said anything about the timing of the subs, just that he didn’t change it when we were under a lot of pressure. 

My post was accurate & you have (yet again) made yourself look quite silly. Accept it. 

You’d have been quicker just admitting you were wrong.

Yet again 

Edited by Sue Denim