The Frank McGarvey Tribute Match Saints v Hearts 7/1/23

shull

• shull changed the title to The Frank McGarvey Tribute Match Saints v Hearts 7/1/23

Hopefully some of Frank's goals on the big screen this Saturday.The 1987 Semi Final one would be delightful.

Also, a special Match Programme Cover dedicated to Frank and a loving tribute inside. 

His grieving family, friends and St Mirren supporters would appreciate it.

" RUN ALONG FRANK MCGARVEY "

Thanks wee Eddie for that wee song.

Edited by shull

32 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

As someone who has worked in Edinburgh for many years, I find a number of the Hearts fans I know to be a detestable and despicable bunch. Some more than others. 

Really hoping we can win this one to get it right up them. 

Agreed, I know a good few myself and they absolutely loathe St Mirren and Frank in particular, he's there main culprit for them losing the league in 86.. total freaks....

3 minutes ago, Helmettroll said:

Agreed, I know a good few myself and they absolutely loathe St Mirren and Frank in particular, he's there main culprit for them losing the league in 86.. total freaks....

Indeed…. Frank McGarvey was to blame for them losing their bottle and conceding 2 late goals that day!

Or maybe the issue was the Frank McGarvey inspired performance at the start of that season when we thrashed them 6-2?

Personally, I think the real issue is that they’re a bunch of bigoted buns 

23 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

Indeed…. Frank McGarvey was to blame for them losing their bottle and conceding 2 late goals that day!

Or maybe the issue was the Frank McGarvey inspired performance at the start of that season when we thrashed them 6-2?

Personally, I think the real issue is that they’re a bunch of bigoted buns 

I worked in McFarlane Smith, in the shadow of Tynecastle, for about a year and there was a 0/60 split.  Some of them were genuine and enaged on the '86 collapse and some were completely silent-they were the bigoted ones.

I have to say that as i left Hampden after the league cup win i was pleasantly surprised that dozens of them stopped us to shake hands and congratulate us.

I worked in McFarlane Smith, in the shadow of Tynecastle, for about a year and there was a 0/60 split.  Some of them were genuine and enaged on the '86 collapse and some were completely silent-they were the bigoted ones.
I have to say that as i left Hampden after the league cup win i was pleasantly surprised that dozens of them stopped us to shake hands and congratulate us.
All I got was a "big team, big cup, wee team, wee cup" comment - even though they were already out of the Scottish Cup (that they won the previous season). Guy wasn't amused when I pointed it out.

3 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

40/60 

1 hour ago, munoz said:

Hearts have sold out their allocation. Should be another decent atmosphere. 

Yes but what is the betting that St Mirren have not made available the whole stand and that section next to W7 is shut off.

If stewards and police can’t control some jaked teenagers then why the fcuk are we paying them.

It is lost revenue and it’s so wrong.

FROM ST MIRREN SLO

St Mirren V Hearts
SMiSA Stadium
Saturday 7th January 2023
Kick Off: 3pm

Referee: Chris Graham
VAR Referee: Colin Steven 

St Mirren take on Hearts at the SMiSA Stadium for the first home game of 2023. 
There will be a 1 minute's applause in memory of Frank McGarvey who sadly passed away after a brave fight with pancreatic cancer, at the age of 66. 
At the 9th minute there will also be a 1 minute's applause in recognition of Frank's shirt number. We ask that all supporters respect these moments of reflection.
Frank was a St.Mirren legend. He arrived at Love Street in December 1974 and became a regular during 1975-76. The striker’s first competitive goal came in a League Cup win over East Fife on the 9th August. He went on to score 11 times from 40 appearances.
1976-77 was the season that Fergie’s Furies came of age and none more so than Frank. He scored 17 league goals as Saints marched to the old First Division title and promotion to the Premier League.
Frank was the star as the title was clinched at Dens Park on the 19th April, claiming his first senior hat-trick in a 4-0 rout of Dundee. This form was not unnoticed with Frank winning a Scotland Under-21 cap against England. He added a second against Czechoslovakia in September, as his good form continued in the top-flight.
McGarvey again scored 17 league goals with six in cup competition to remain Saints' top scorer. He gained further honours when he played for the Scottish League side against the Italian League in April 1978.
Frank continued to score goals in the 1978/79 season with 13 seeing his top scorer again. This form attracted the attention of English clubs and it was no surprise when Liverpool took him south in May 1979.
After 10 months at Anfield, Frank returned to Scotland for a five-year spell at Celtic, culminating in scoring the winner in the 1985 Scottish Cup final - his final match for Celtic.
He would return to Love Street in June 1985 and was soon back in scoring in the black and white, netting in his second match. He ended the season with 12 goals, including a double in our UEFA Cup victory over Slavia Prague.
The 1987 Scottish Cup was, by McGarvey’s own admission, one of the highlights of his career. Wins over Caledonian, Raith Rovers and Morton took Saints to Hampden for a semi-final against Hearts. With the score tied at 1-1, the ball broke to Frank inside the six-yard box and he managed to guide it under Henry Smith, to take Saints into the final.
16th May 1987. 10 years after helping Saints win the First Division; McGarvey played his part as the Scottish Cup returned to Paisley.
In April 1988 manager Alex Smith resigned and Tony Fitzpatrick took over with Frank named player/assistant manager. His final season at the club saw him concentrate more on the managerial role, making just four appearances during 1989-90. His final match was against Hibernian on the 16th September. At the end of the season he joined Queen of the South as player/manager.
In May 2005, McGarvey was inducted into the St Mirren Hall of Fame having made 341 appearances scoring 102 goals across his two spells at the club.
Frank will forever be remembered at St Mirren and our deepest condolences are with Frank's loved ones at this very sad time.
There will be pre-match entertainment for the kids inside the South Stand with a quiz that will see the winner win a signed St.Mirren shirt by the current squad and our resident face painter will be there too!
Also at half time we will see Bung a Baw take place. Who can get closest to Paisley Panda and win those coveted doughnuts?
The Ticket Office will be open until kick off for last minute purchases but you can also use the QR codes around the stadium to purchase tickets and have them delivered directly to your phone.
The Club Shop will be open from 10am-5.30pm for all Saints related goodies.
Turnstiles will open at 2pm. Please sit in your allocated seats.
Flags should be within regulations and must have a fire certificate. No offensive or political flags will be allowed. 
No balaclavas or face coverings will be allowed.
No pyro.
No bags bigger than A4 allowed.
No surfing banners or telescopic poles allowed.
Drum will be searched.
Searching will be in place.
Any inebriated fans will not be allowed to enter the stadium.

Get behind the team and enjoy the game!
C'mon ye Saints!
🐼🐼🐼

On 1/3/2023 at 7:21 PM, shull said:

Well done St Mirren

FB_IMG_1672773360412.jpg

The above may be of high demand. It could sell out quickly at the Stadium tomorrow and at Curtis Sports. It can be purchased now from Curtis via.....

https://www.curtis-sport.com/st-mirren-fc

Alternatively, the match programme can be bought from the St Mirren Shop from Friday onwards before the Game, although phone or email Shop to check availability.

In the circumstances I'll be attending this match as Frank was one of my early idols and even when he was at Celtic I still watched him as much as possible as he always excited and gave his all.

I'm just recovering from a broken arm through a silly accident with a large section of wood.

Costly as I'm self employed but I'm getting back to normal with regular physiotherapy visits.

Looking forward to the game as Hearts are always a lively lot both on and off the field.

Saint have been on a great run, I watched the Aberdeen game with a few pals and it was a great watch except for one Aberdeen supporter.

This is a real test as we are at home and have high hopes of a high finishing league position.