The Frank McGarvey Tribute Match Saints v Hearts 7/1/23

shull

28 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

A matter of opinion re another striker. You didn't address the one that cost us last week too.

On another note, I thought it important to say well done to the jam tart's supporters who, in the main, joined in with the applause for Frank. Much better than I expected.

Apologies, I didn’t pick up that you were now throwing last weeks chance also.  

The chance where the player had to swivel 180 degrees and grab a first time shot at goal . Would you put that in the glaring miss category also ? Really ?  I feel you are being very harsh . 🙄

8 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Apologies, I didn’t pick up that you were now throwing last weeks chance also.  

The chance where the player had to swivel 180 degrees and grab a first time shot at goal . Would you put that in the glaring miss category also ? Really ?  I feel you are being very harsh . 🙄

He's a full time professional footballer so, yes, I would expect him to score at least one of those chances. And I thjink you're being extremely generous with the truth when you say "swivelled 180 degrees". Perhaps brushing up on your geometry is in order.

19 hours ago, Warrior Saint said:

Ref had a cracking game i thought.

He was way behind play for the whole match and punished many non-fouls by Saints whilst ignoring most of the fouls by Hearts players.  The west-side linesman was very weak when dealing with Hearts stealing 10 yards for the re-start after the sending off.

The ref also mistakenly blew for a foul when possession was being contested and proceeded to allow a bounce up that Hearts imediately attacked from

As for the fan experience, I dropped off two buddies at the west gate and took a few minutes to find a parking space, still ariving at the gate just after 10-to-3 and joined the short queue at the W1 turnstiles.  The queue was very slow in moving due to ticket-scanning problems and i got to the front at just after 5-to 3.  As I tried to go through I was stopped by a steward who started squealing at us that the gate was closing due to congestion inside the stand.  I was re-directed to the opposite end of the ground where there was a long queue that wasn't moving due to more scanning issues.  If a ticket didn't scan then the people were being taken in via the exit door (one-by-one).  The stewards then told us to scan the tickets "sideways", which actually seemed to work.

Unfortunately, along with about a hundred other fans I had to listen to the minute applause from outside the ground.  Very disappointing and a poor show by the stewards who seemed completely unconcerned  at the frustration of the customers.

57 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

He was way behind play for the whole match and punished many non-fouls by Saints whilst ignoring most of the fouls by Hearts players.  The west-side linesman was very weak when dealing with Hearts stealing 10 yards for the re-start after the sending off.

The ref also mistakenly blew for a foul when possession was being contested and proceeded to allow a bounce up that Hearts imediately attacked from

He also got in the way of a pass from one of our players and restarted the game with a bounce to Hearts.

Back home after spending the day and night in Paisley and myself and my mate were in great spirits so it ended up a late night.

I'm still not convinced Fraser deserved to be sent off so I think it is worth appealing.

Reading todays newspapers was quite a nice experience as we are getting praise and that was against the 3rd side in the league.

I've already arranged for two pals to come round on Friday night to watch the next game against Hearts and we shouldn't fear them.

I see that useless bastard Álvarez had a Glaring miss in the 44th minute of todays game against Chelsea .
Ball whipped in at pace from the left side of the 18 yard box and although he stretched out as much as he could  he couldn’t get a touch to guide the ball home .🤷‍♂️

imagine that , a full time professional missing a sitter like that - he’ll never amount to anything - any other striker at any level of football would have scored that one . 🤔

16 minutes ago, elvis said:

With all the suspensions that are about to kick in according to Ftof over on PnB and no money to bring anyone in our season might just be about to fall apart .

We did O.K. without four first picks yesterday.

I'm counting Strain as he went off so early.:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, elvis said:

With all the suspensions that are about to kick in according to Ftof over on PnB and no money to bring anyone in our season might just be about to fall apart .

I was thinking that, then I looked at where we are. We are a team playing for the badge. I'm loving my season ticket this year enjoying home games. I still think we will make Europe and Robo will be a club legend. 

6 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

I was thinking that, then I looked at where we are. We are a team playing for the badge. I'm loving my season ticket this year enjoying home games. I still think we will make Europe and Robo will be a club legend. 

21 % more fans this season are also enjoying their home games . Long May it continue 🤞

23 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

Would absolutely love that .

On 1/6/2023 at 7:43 AM, shull said:

The above may be of high demand. It could sell out quickly at the Stadium tomorrow and at Curtis Sports. It can be purchased now from Curtis via.....

https://www.curtis-sport.com/st-mirren-fc

Alternatively, the match programme can be bought from the St Mirren Shop from Friday onwards before the Game, although phone or email Shop to check availability.

Thanks for posting the link to this programme, Shull.  I ordered one late on Friday night/early hours of Saturday morning because I wasn't confident I'd get one at the ground.  The programme seller that used to always be standing when you go through the turnstiles in the West Stand hasn't been there for a while and he wasn't there again yesterday so I did the right thing ordering one.

I was in two minds leaving the ground last night.  We had chances to have been at least 2-0 up, if not 3-0 up at Half-Time but Hearts had the lions share of possession in both halves of the match.  Yes, they didn't do a lot with it and most of their possession in the First Half was in their half of the pitch due to our excellent pressing game and hard work.  Having said all that, we got some luck with the deflection off the Hearts player at the Free Kick.  It really did catch Zander Clark out!

I think Alex Grieve had more time than he thought he had at the effort he ballooned.  As for the two other incidents, like others have already said, the ball being played behind him and then him sliding/leg stretching to make contact with a shot-cum-cross from big Curtis Main weren't really chances at all.

Alex Gogic was my Man of the Match.  He wasn't scared to get stuck in and made some excellent tackles and blocks at just the right times.  I always feel more confident with him in the side.

I like Marcus Fraser, he's one of my favourite players but i haven't a clue what was going through his mind.  He didn't even need to attempt to jump over his teammate and the Hearts player.  I did worry at the time and when it went to VAR, there was only going to be one outcome unfortunately for Marcus and us.  Hopefully he'll learn from it and not do something similar again, especially when there's no need to do it.

Before the match, I'd have taken a 1-1 draw against the team third in the league.  Having taken the lead and forced Hearts players into passing the ball in their own half and back to their goalkeeper, however it's a little disappointing.  Snodgrass' goal shows how important it is to have someone capable of whipping in great crosses though.  Someone might get on the end of it and score or no-one will touch it and it might just creep into the net.

Still, onwards and upwards with Stephen Robinson's Black and White Army! 🔴

Edited by Percy Veer

19 minutes ago, Percy Veer said:

Thanks for posting the link to this programme, Shull.  I ordered one late on Friday night/early hours of Saturday morning because I wasn't confident I'd get one at the ground.  The programme seller that used to always be standing when you go through the turnstiles in the West Stand hasn't been there for a while and he wasn't there again yesterday so I did the right thing ordering one.

I was told they sold out very quickly at the Stadium. Curtis Sports are ideal. It should arrive to you by Tuesday.

9 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I see that useless bastard Álvarez had a Glaring miss in the 44th minute of todays game against Chelsea .
Ball whipped in at pace from the left side of the 18 yard box and although he stretched out as much as he could  he couldn’t get a touch to guide the ball home .🤷‍♂️

imagine that , a full time professional missing a sitter like that - he’ll never amount to anything - any other striker at any level of football would have scored that one . 🤔

Now you're just being silly. If you're making an attempt to answer my doubts at least make it like for like. I never once said Greive should have made contact with Main's shot come cross.

Stonewall red card. Why people doubt it I just can't fathom. Even thought he had done the Hearts player at the match long before VAR got involved.
Restarted with Hearts foul as referee punished the higher offence which was violent conduct by Fraser, who needs his backside booted !
No issues with the referee who I thought had a really good match and looks like another really good prospect coming through.

Can you direct me to the law in football that you refer to?