Much Needed Changes to Football

faraway saint

Ok, as @Callum Gilhooley suggested, here's a wee thread to discuss any changes required to football.

I'll keep my views to myself for now so here's a German referees suggestions for starters.

German referee Patrick Ittrich has suggested making several changes to football's rules..
1) For a tactical foul in midfield, a free-kick should be awarded 17 metres from goal. How often will we see such fouls then?
2) If the player rolls on the floor three times and needs a doctor, get him one and make him wait on the sideline for 3 minutes. How quickly do you think the player would stand up?
3) If a player insults the referee, send them off for 10 minutes to calm down. Go cycling to warm up before coming back on. We can learn from handball in that respect.
4) How is a referee surrounded by 10 men after a decision? In my opinion, boom, boom, boom - three red cards. Play seven against ten now. That'd be fine by me.

👍

im sure he has come up with these ideas for all the right reasons but I’m not sure I agree with them all.

1. hmm , not sure - who decides what’s a “tactical foul? “.  Will VAaR get involved and slow play down further ?  Will Shaughnessy get a retrospective 17 mtr free kick for his rugby tackle ? 😂

2. We need to do something about play acting but there’s the risk of actual injured players being forced to sit on the sidelines while the offending player gets on with the game.

3. sin - bin for abuse towards the ref ?  Yep, I’ll go for that one. 
4. A wee bitty harsh that one but again something needs to be done.  Why not introduce retrospective yellows and possible red for repeat offenders.?

other ideas I’d like to see . 

1. A rugby / American Football type rule of 10 yard penalty for dissent and delaying a free kick .

2. After a goal- Team should be allowed to restart the game as soon as all their players are in their own half. If the other team are still giving each other cuddles …. Tough ! 
3. Corner kicks. The Ball must touch the grass INSIDE the quadrant - not with 1cm hanging over the outside edge.

I would like to see the following:

- referees mic’d up just like in rugby. This would hopefully help clear up decisions especially with respect to VAR when the paying watching supporters are completely in the dark over what is actually being reviewed. It may also decrease the dissent by players;

- reintroduce 50:50 bounce up between players rather than this crap that goes on now. The excitement of days gone by when players like Souness would take on Aber would often lift the whole atmosphere of the game especially if it’s been dull.

- move forward free kicks if players are deliberately time-wasting or showing dissent 

- get stadium clocks to show how much injury/extra time is being played and show it as a countdown - perhaps even bring in a rugby style hooter and for end of the match to be played out while the ball is still “in play”.

- do we have goal line technology in Scotland’s top flight? If not why not?

54 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Remove the yellow card for celebrating a goal.

Oh, I know the snowflakes will immediately say "ah but, if they run at opposition fans", aye, big deal.

Scoring a goal is the main aim and SHOULD be celebrated. 

Some of the best celebrations at Love St by opposition players who have been receiving dogs abuse are very memorable!

As an example Paul Hartley used to love winding up the North Bank after scoring a late goal after all sorts of abuse has gone against him. Good on him I say. He’s still a manky cnut mind you 😂 

Davie Cooper and Andy Ritchie were other examples. 

It is often the better players we choose to boo who usually end up coming back to haunt us. 

23 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

I would like to see the following:

- referees mic’d up just like in rugby. This would hopefully help clear up decisions especially with respect to VAR when the paying watching supporters are completely in the dark over what is actually being reviewed. It may also decrease the dissent by players;

- reintroduce 50:50 bounce up between players rather than this crap that goes on now. The excitement of days gone by when players like Souness would take on Aber would often lift the whole atmosphere of the game especially if it’s been dull.

- move forward free kicks if players are deliberately time-wasting or showing dissent 

- get stadium clocks to show how much injury/extra time is being played and show it as a countdown - perhaps even bring in a rugby style hooter and for end of the match to be played out while the ball is still “in play”.

- do we have goal line technology in Scotland’s top flight? If not why not?

Yup , all good ideas 👍

As for the Goal line tech ? I don’t think we do have it . 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

No, and I mean no, substitutions after 80 mins.

This tedious time wasting get's on my nipples.

Again, what if...............................big deal, get on with the game. 

Get back to two or three (if we include a spare goalie) substitutes maximum on the bench. Some of the best sides in Britain won league titles and conquered Europe using 14 players across a full season. 

[emoji106]
im sure he has come up with these ideas for all the right reasons but I’m not sure I agree with them all.
1. hmm , not sure - who decides what’s a “tactical foul? “.  Will VAaR get involved and slow play down further ?  Will Shaughnessy get a retrospective 17 mtr free kick for his rugby tackle ? [emoji23]
2. We need to do something about play acting but there’s the risk of actual injured players being forced to sit on the sidelines while the offending player gets on with the game.
3. sin - bin for abuse towards the ref ?  Yep, I’ll go for that one. 
4. A wee bitty harsh that one but again something needs to be done.  Why not introduce retrospective yellows and possible red for repeat offenders.?
other ideas I’d like to see . 

1. A rugby / American Football type rule of 10 yard penalty for dissent and delaying a free kick .
2. After a goal- Team should be allowed to restart the game as soon as all their players are in their own half. If the other team are still giving each other cuddles …. Tough ! 
3. Corner kicks. The Ball must touch the grass INSIDE the quadrant - not with 1cm hanging over the outside edge.

1. I'd say 10 yards in any direction they choose as it's not possible to move forward 10 yards if the free kick is given less than that from the line. They could then move it 10 yards further out if they want which might give them a "better" angle.

2. I'm for that, but maybe a 20 second minimum from when goal is scored.

3. Yep. Although that problem really comes from the definition of the ball being out of play, i.e. the whole ball must be across the line, or else it's still in. Nothing to stop them making the quadrant a bit bigger and stipulating that the whole ball must be inside the quadrant, though.

1 minute ago, Slarti said:

1. I'd say 10 yards in any direction they choose as it's not possible to move forward 10 yards if the free kick is given less than that from the line. They could then move it 10 yards further out if they want which might give them a "better" angle.

2. I'm for that, but maybe a 20 second minimum from when goal is scored.

3. Yep. Although that problem really comes from the definition of the ball being out of play, i.e. the whole ball must be across the line, or else it's still in. Nothing to stop them making the quadrant a bit bigger and stipulating that the whole ball must be inside the quadrant, though.

Yeah , I think I got #2 wrong , could have a time limit - wouldn’t want to totally deprive teams from celebrating.

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Yes we do. emoji6.png

No we don't. We never had and never will due to the costs.

ETA

Though goal-line technology isn't in place in Scotland, VAR can be used to determine whether or not a ball crossed the line. (Given the lack of cameras and their position this is not a great option). Red cards: If a referee misses a red card offence, a VAR review can allow him to review it and send a player off when an incident might have gone unpunished.

Edited by stlucifer

17 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Remove the yellow card for celebrating a goal.

Oh, I know the snowflakes will immediately say "ah but, if they run at opposition fans", aye, big deal.

Scoring a goal is the main aim and SHOULD be celebrated. 

I tend to agree but was this not brought in due to fans all spilling forward and walls/barriers collapsing ?

I think it happened a good few times and it needed a response. 

Its also not stopping players celebrating a goal its stopping them leaving the pitch ?

Just now, lenziebud said:

I tend to agree but was this not brought in due to fans all spilling forward and walls/barriers collapsing ?

I think it happened a good few times and it needed a response. 

Its also not stopping players celebrating a goal its stopping them leaving the pitch ?

Players still do it, the only difference is a yellow card.

The crowd reaction is, on the whole, not a serious issue.

Anyhow, let the players, and fans, enjoy.