Your Best St Mirren Eleven In The Last 75 Years

shull

51 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

Connaghan

murray   Fulton {Cpt}   Reid    Munro,

Fitzpatrick   Stark  Richardson,

McAvennie   McGarvey  Weir.

Almost identical to mine, i would have considered Alex Beckett for the number 2  based on his goalscoring capability and would have put Iain Munro in any position on the left side including as a sweeper.  Possibly the best reader of a game in my 50 odd years of watching Saints.  Imagine a player of that ability being so severely overlooked for Scotland just because Celtic and Rangers had someone in the same class at right back and we couldn't offend the filty hordes.

Plus, McGrain was a C**T

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Great player though he was, dont recall Jackie ever captaining the side never mind lifting the League Cup.

Jackie Copland was the final piece in Fergie's jigsaw that turned us from promising group of youngsters to 1st division winners.  For as long as he was with us, we were a significant force in Scottish football and we should have won the Scottish Cup in 83 but for the semi where "the goal that never was" put us out

He played a blinder in the Anglo Scottish cup winning campaign

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yes but the point of the thread surely is to have the best players in the team? By your logic you'd have Derek Hamilton or Paul Dummett at left back because Iain Munro never won anything.

Iain is Saints' all time most capped player for Scotland. That trumps a cup win. So I am please to say that Iain is in the all time 11. 

All time Xl would surely have to include plenty of players that none of us ever seen play. Our all time top scorer 222 goals (!) in 319 games and 1926 cup winning legend Davie McCrae would be the first name on my team sheet.  I'd have him upfront with the player he was signed to replace in 1924, Dunky Walker. Great article on them both here, those numbers are unreal, we could certainly be doing with strikers that could score at that rate these days...

https://cairterscorner.com/davie-mccrae/

https://cairterscorner.com/dunky-walker/#:~:text=Better known as 'Dunky' of,the Army side and his

If it's players we have seen in the flesh then it will just depend what generation you grew up in...

24 minutes ago, TopCat said:

All time Xl would surely have to include plenty of players that none of us ever seen play.

Disagree. It would seem that most posters all time XI is based on their personal experience. 

Not YouTube or old videos or who their dad saw in the stripes or what they went onto achieve elsewhere before or after St mirren days.

It just demonstrates that you missed out on some of the greatest times in our club’s history. 😂 😝 

7 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Disagree. It would seem that most posters all time XI is based on their personal experience. 

Not YouTube or old videos or who their dad saw in the stripes or what they went onto achieve elsewhere before or after St mirren days.

It just demonstrates that you missed out on some of the greatest times in our club’s history. 😂 😝 

Oh yeah definitely, it just shouldn't be called 'all time' Xl then 😁 

• shull changed the title to Your Best St Mirren Eleven
On 1/20/2023 at 6:27 PM, TopCat said:

Oh yeah definitely, it just shouldn't be called 'all time' Xl then 😁 

Tend to agree with TC's comment, maybe it should be something along the lines of:  Your Best St Mirren Eleven in the Last 50 Years.

If we are going to disagree over the title, then as a minor adjudicator in this debate I would probably have to side with TC's comment and have Dunky Walker and Davy McCrae in the mix along with Willie Summers (In 1920 he went on loan to St Bernard’s before joining St Mirren in May 1921 as part of a player exchange, where in April 1926 he was part of St Mirren’s 1926 Scottish Cup Final success when they shocked holders Celtic 2-0 in the Final at Hampden Park, the club’s first Scottish Cup win, The Buddies having beaten the other half of the Auld Firm, Rangers, in the semi final at Celtic Park three weeks earlier. Summers then earned his single Scotland cap, playing in a 1-0 win over England at Old Trafford a week after the Scottish Cup Final triumph)

• shull changed the title to Your Best St Mirren Eleven In The Last 50 Years
3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

McGowan over Fitzpatrick, Abercromby or Richardson? Bizarre.

I reckon I could name at least 10 midfielders before I got to McGowan. 

McGowan carried some very average St Mirren teams and was  a superb player for St Mirren , helped St Mirren win the league Cup.  Hugely underestimated because of his problems off the pitch . Would have been an even better player if he had more quality roundabout him .

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

McGowan carried some very average St Mirren teams and was  a superb player for St Mirren , helped St Mirren win the league Cup.  Hugely underestimated because of his problems off the pitch . Would have been an even better player if he had more quality roundabout him .

Fair enough mate. Each to their own and all that. 
I’d be more inclined to say he was an above average player in some very average St. Mirren teams. However, putting him above absolute club legends like Fitzpatrick and Abercromby I don’t get. Fitzpatrick in particular was 10 times the player McGowan was.

All about opinions I guess.

On 1/20/2023 at 8:14 PM, Warrior Saint said:

😀😀😀😀🤣🤣🤣did u ever see Copland? I presume you seen Goodwin....there is zero comparison in footballing ability....Copland 💯 times the player...

Saw big Jackie sent off in a proper man's battle with Shug Edvalsson  in a thriller in the gloaming under the old lights at Love Street. Great player, St Mirren legend and a leader in the greatest ever Saints team.

However, can you believe that Saints actually won the league cup? That didnt happen by luck. It happened because that season we had Saints' greatest ever centre forward, and greatest ever centre half.

There is no logic in picking a best XI of the last 50 years.  The best in their position?  Ian Munro and Billy Stark were the most intelligent football players I've seen in the jersey, Tony Fitz the biggest heart, Doug Somner the bravest ....... I could go on.  Most will pick their favourite XI 'cos that's what being a football fan is all about and I could fill a page with favourites since the early 60's, most of whom don't meet the 50 year gap.  Ally McLeod scoring 4 at Ibrox is possibly the best performace in a Saints jersey I have ever seen.  Victor was a class act, unfortunately not in the Black and White.  Apart from McGowan I don't disagree with any of the names put forward (good enough player but I don't think he matches up to others named here).   So don't get your knickers in a twist just remember the pleasure you got watching them play the beautiful game.

• shull changed the title to Your Best St Mirren Eleven In The Last 75 Years
There is no logic in picking a best XI of the last 50 years.  The best in their position?  Ian Munro and Billy Stark were the most intelligent football players I've seen in the jersey, Tony Fitz the biggest heart, Doug Somner the bravest ....... I could go on.  Most will pick their favourite XI 'cos that's what being a football fan is all about and I could fill a page with favourites since the early 60's, most of whom don't meet the 50 year gap.  Ally McLeod scoring 4 at Ibrox is possibly the best performace in a Saints jersey I have ever seen.  Victor was a class act, unfortunately not in the Black and White.  Apart from McGowan I don't disagree with any of the names put forward (good enough player but I don't think he matches up to others named here).   So don't get your knickers in a twist just remember the pleasure you got watching them play the beautiful game.
I see shull has changed the title again.

The poor wean cannie help himself from doing that or using his other log ons. [emoji1787]

24 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

Must include Therolf Beck in the mix as one of the more inteligent players we have had. Can't remember how much Rangers paid for him but what

a pleasure to watch him in action. Another would be Paisley boy George McLean, what talent, but criticised for being lazy. Brought us in £27,000.00

from Rangers. At the time this was the highest transfer fee between two Scottish clubs. I think i am correct in saying he never played for Rangers again

after their humiliating failure to beat Berwick Rangers.