St Mirren v Motherwell, 28/1/23

faraway saint

The form's poor. No wins in five, just one win in the last ten and we have fallen out of the top six as a result. If we don't turn it around quickly we simply won't make the top half cut and we could still be dragged into the mire below. A Motherwell win here and they will just be four behind us having played the same amount of games. We are just three points ahead of St Johnstone, who seem to be having a terrible season, according to their fans anyway.

All in all, it's a big game and one we could certainly do with winning. I think we will.

1-0

7 minutes ago, TopCat said:

The form's poor. No wins in five, just one win in the last ten and we have fallen out of the top six as a result. If we don't turn it around quickly we simply won't make the top half cut and we could still be dragged into the mire below. A Motherwell win here and they will just be four behind us having played the same amount of games. We are just three points ahead of St Johnstone, who seem to be having a terrible season, according to their fans anyway.

All in all, it's a big game and one we could certainly do with winning. I think we will.

1-0

Agree with this. Need more wins so as not to be dragged into relegation battle.

43 minutes ago, TopCat said:

1-0

I agree we need a win, any kind of win.

Hopefully this will be off the back of a cup victory.  

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

1-0

It's starting to look a very close copy to how the second half of last season panned out for us.  With no more signings and a scarcity of goals we could well see further deterioration in our stats and position

5 hours ago, TopCat said:

1-0

I disagree with our form is poor. Reckon we been unlucky in some of those games but yes, we do really need the win. 

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I disagree with our form is poor. Reckon we been unlucky in some of those games but yes, we do really need the win. 

We look good but lack any sort of goalscoring edge, it's back to the perrenial problem of the last few decades.  Other teams can sit back and not get too fussed about us getting in to dangerous areas as there is no-one who can be relied on to score.  Recent set pieces and penalties apart, there is a shortage of any threat.  We will continue to play well and hopefully pick up a few more draws along the way but without grinding any axes with current players or coaches, I don't see us having more than a very small handful of wins before the end of the season.

Of course, I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

The only form that is poor is our form in the final third.

Sadly, that’s what wins games. 

Sounds a bit daft, but I would put the emphasis more on we squander too many chances rather than we don’t score enough goals. I know one leads to the other, but it’s not like we aren’t creating chances. Even last night we created chances. 

If we don’t start making better decisions in the final third, we will inevitably slip down the league. 

Just now, beyond our ken said:

We look good but lack any sort of goalscoring edge, it's back to the perrenial problem of the last few decades.  Other teams can sit back and not get too fussed about us getting in to dangerous areas as there is no-one who can be relied on to score.  Recent set pieces and penalties apart, there is a shortage of any threat.  We will continue to play well and hopefully pick up a few more draws along the way but without grinding any axes with current players or coaches, I don't see us having more than a very small handful of wins before the end of the season.

Of course, I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Looks like we posted roughly the same thing at the same time. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sounds a bit daft, but I would put the emphasis more on we squander too many chances rather than we don’t score enough goals. I know one leads to the other, but it’s not like we aren’t creating chances. Even last night we created chances. 

If we don’t start making better decisions in the final third, we will inevitably slip down the league. 

We simply don't seem to have the players who can display that kind of composed confidence or mindset.  Final ball was often overhit or poorly delivered at Tynecastle and most of our chances came from mistakes around the penalty box

13 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I would say we haven't been great defensively either. In that run of 10 games we have only kept a clean sheet once, the draw against Kilmarnock. We've shipped two goals to St Johnstone, three to County, three to Hibs and four last night. 

The lack of quality in the forward department is certainly a problem however. Ayunga and Main are a lot of things, neither are a goal scorer, as their respective goal scoring records quite clearly show. 

2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

I thought Ayunga was really poor last night and looked miles off it worse game yet after looking really good when he came on against Hearts 

His failing to pass the ball 1 yard to Main while near the Celtic corner flag, started the move that within 10 seconds, the ball was in our net for the 3rd goal.

He does look poor if the ball is close to his feet. 

52 minutes ago, Tommy said:

His failing to pass the ball 1 yard to Main while near the Celtic corner flag, started the move that within 10 seconds, the ball was in our net for the 3rd goal.

He does look poor if the ball is close to his feet. 

That does create a problem if true, not sure where we could fit him in then, do we still have a Basketball team  ? ?

Ah got it he pulled off a cracking save against Livingston.......  reserve keeper  :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I’m sorry but fact is…. Our form has been poor . How we are playing is one thing but form ultimately is judged by results and they simply have not been where we want them to be .

I'm pretty pragmatic when it comes to making a call on where we are, sometimes too much, so results have been priority for many a year, mostly because we've been shite and looking down rather than up.

The facts are the facts, not enough points to merit the confidence felt by many, myself included.

The big difference for me, and until we start winning this will mean little, is that we are playing well, very well at times.

The elusive goal scoring forward/midfielder is what we're missing, IMO, and we'd be a top six side with ease but as things stand we will still struggle unless we start putting the ball in the net on a regular basis.

I don't think our current squad will solve this problem, and with the reality being we are not cash rich then it could see our season go in an all too familiar way, which would be a shame as we have the building blocks of a decent side.

20 hours ago, TopCat said:

I would say we haven't been great defensively either. In that run of 10 games we have only kept a clean sheet once, the draw against Kilmarnock. We've shipped two goals to St Johnstone, three to County, three to Hibs and four last night. 

The lack of quality in the forward department is certainly a problem however. Ayunga and Main are a lot of things, neither are a goal scorer, as their respective goal scoring records quite clearly show. 

The other problem we have suffered from is that the defense is bound to be creaky when we are so poor at scoring.  Apart from some purple patches (sutton-Mehmet, Yardley-Lavety, Thompson, higdon) this has been the case since the mid 80s.  It seems almost club policy to take the expected salary of a good striker and split it between 2 midfielders-cum striker.

Gus was especially guilty of packing the team with "versatile" midfielders.  Remember the old adage by (I think) Bill Shankly.  "yes, he is versatile, he has the ability the ability to be poor in a number of positions.