Motherwell v St Mirren Wed 15th Feb 2023

faraway saint

I said last week after playing Hibs, the games coming up will be just as difficult, there's no easy games for us in this league,  if the players aren't on it we won't beat anyone, From Hearts down there's not a lot between the teams, with big squads Hibs and Aberdeen will finish 4th and 5th IMO.   hopefully we can pip Livingston for 6th 

Ross County will be really tough on Saturday but if we can manage to get those 3 points there's no more midweek games and that will help us, our squad just isn't big enough for 2 games a week. results and performances show that. 

It's good to be disappointed after a result, and performance, that was disappointing.

The bigger picture is we're sitting 6th after a whopping 25 games.

Another 8 games before the split for us to secure a top 6 place, and the financial rewards that come from that.

I'm not even entertaining this European place, one step at at time, top 6, deservedly so, and that's a big step in the right direction. 

image.thumb.png.4eda1028752d5b33ea6a67b87159b4ab.png

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's good to be disappointed after a result, and performance, that was disappointing.

The bigger picture is we're sitting 6th after a whopping 25 games.

Another 8 games before the split for us to secure a top 6 place, and the financial rewards that come from that.

I'm not even entertaining this European place, one step at at time, top 6, deservedly so, and that's a big step in the right direction. 

image.thumb.png.4eda1028752d5b33ea6a67b87159b4ab.png

We’ll lose all 8 and end up in a relegation battle 

Final ball

our failing since the departure of Danny Lennon

we are reknowned for the inability to score and some passable forwards have come and gone with our club being the blemish on their record 

to me, Robinson is a Gus McPherson clone who can make a team competitive for a while but eventually incredibly easy to read

the pool available is not very substantial, which doesn’t help the manager

46 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

We’d have been better with Ryan Flynn on at left wing back than Small

Playing Taylor and Small when we had other better options is just stupid 

I've not been impressed with Taylor or especially Small but it would be unfair to judge them on what they've done so far, both have played very little football before coming here think it's unreasonable to expect them to hit the ground running, and the fact they're playing shows how light our squad really is 

Taylor made the mistake for the first goal against Celtic and again tonight but it was his only mistake in the Celtic game that I saw. Small so far looks nothing like a million pound player but the way they throw money about down there that doesn't surprise me,  but lets not forget he's only 18 

Diagonal hoofball not working but continued all night. Opportunities and spaces to put balls in behind into channels, or for Main / Watt to drop off and take it into feet. Never happened. The strikers didn’t show for those balls and the midfield/defence didn’t seem to be looking for them to do so.  

Hopeless. And don’t get me started on passing up numerous crossing opportunities only to work ourselves into worse positions and lose possession.  Very naive tonight. 

That’s us been turned over in too many games where teams have been on terrible runs. 3-0 St.J,  3-0 Hibs, 3-2 County,  2-1 Well.  

Diagonal hoofball not working but continued all night. Opportunities and spaces to put balls in behind into channels, or for Main / Watt to drop off and take it into feet. Never happened. The strikers didn’t show for those balls and the midfield/defence didn’t seem to be looking for them to do so.  

Hopeless. And don’t get me started on passing up numerous crossing opportunities only to work ourselves into worse positions and lose possession.  Very naive tonight. 

That’s us been turned over in too many games where teams have been on terrible runs. 3-0 St.J,  3-0 Hibs, 3-2 County,  2-1 Well.  

At least when they played hoofball tonight it was with a plan the amount of hoofball to Obika who in turn laid it off to Blair Spittal and yet despite them doing this from minute 1 we couldn't get to grips with it.

Our final ball frustrates the life out of me 30 seconds into second half Main got chance to hit ball across box for two incoming players volleys wildly out the pitch and Strain so many times tonight in great position to get ball in and hesitated nearly every time.

Sent from my T671H using Tapatalk

Just in after the long depressing drive home.

We struggle when teams sit in and we have to try and break them down. We have no one that can go past players and make things happen or score a goal out of nothing.

Inverness have a player that can. Could have done with wee Jay running at that Well defence tonight. I get he doesn’t fit in to Robinson’s system but surely he would’ve been good to bring on when we’re chasing a game?

Was always going to be difficult after losing 2 goals cheap early doors but we got back in it with more than enough time to get a result against a honking Well side who were ‘spoiling’ on a quite impressive level. 
Why was Strain subbed? Injured? He was the only one that looked like he could create something. 
A frustrating night, but at least the County game comes around quickly to hopefully get a win and lift us out of this wee slump. 

10 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

We’d have been better with Ryan Flynn on at left wing back than Small

Playing Taylor and Small when we had other better options is just stupid 

Although I would have agreed with the sub you're suggesting we were already 2 down when Small came on, after he came on we never quite looked as exposed down the left as we had with the Tanser/Taylor partnership.

It’s damning that there are more people on to post for poor results than for a win or good performance.

This reminds me of my attendance at the Dundee game. Some bellend was moaning for the entire game, including the extra time.

Having supported the Saints for a few decades I’ve realised that you need to manage your expectations.

That was a terrible result but it can be banished by winning at home on Saturday. No doubt though, next 2 games must be won. No excuses.

The annoying thing about that is IU don't even think that Motherwell got their new manager bounce. They were hopeless, as they have been all season. Still managed to beat us comfortably right enough.  Same old guff from our perspective, our form really is terrible. If our opponent gets a player sent off in the first half we can win, if they don't we are really going to struggle. Last nights game was similar to Hibs, Dundee and various other terrible performances since October.  Dull as dishwater hoof ball, completely lacking in creativity, and we are now soft defensively too.

Richard Taylor is not good enough to play for St Mirren. I thought he was at fault for the goal we conceded in his debut at Tynecastle, and I wasn't surprised he was bombed out the team after that. Out of nowhere he comes back in and starts at Parkhead, where he sells the first goal, gets sent off while giving away the second, and he starts again last night.  Surely no one - including Robinson - was surprised when he sold the first Motherwell goal?  I hope he never plays for us again. 

Our next two games will decide if we got top six or not. County home, St Johnstone away. Really we need six points but four will do. After those fixtures we have a difficult run in to the split. We go to Ibrox, Tynecastle and play Celtic at home in our remaining six games. 

The bbc about Taylor….

The first saw Van Veen slipped in on the right hand side by a nice Callum Slattery pass. He held off the challenge of the flat-footed Richard Taylor and nudged a shot across the face of goal that caught Trevor Carson out.”

it WAS poor defending.  :(

1st goal not helped by poor position by Carson.

2nd look like a fluke to me but they all count. 

No consistency by the players game by game, tell me they are not as good as i thought they were a few months ago. 

Playing the same way every week certainly seem to help the other team to deal with us.

Piss poor all round and not for the 1st time this season, we f up the chance to get well up the league.