Billy Thomson

Really shocked when I heard about this today. He was my first footballing hero, charismatic big guy, who made spectacular saves that had an 8/9 year old behind the goals at the Love Street end mesmerised.
Over 200 games for the Saints, a regular in the Scotland squad and a fantastic keeper for us. 
Remember getting the version of his famous Adidas blue and black gk top (fae Santa) and ended up becoming the Williamsburgh school and Gleniffer Th. goalie, inspired by him. (eventually ending up outfield when I was older and realised I was going to be the height of a hobbit).

Was devastated when he left for United but his replacement was phenomenal to be fair. 

Very sad news, 64 is way too young but he will be very fondly remembered by generations of Buddies. RIP bigman. 

Billy Thomson was before my time unfortunately but I've heard plenty about him and I did see him as an opponent of St. Mirren a few times.  I didn't know he was from Linwood, which I've just read on the article shared by Balmullo Bud above.

My thoughts are with his family, friends and former teammates.  As has been pointed out already, he was still young and him and Frank McGarvey are a loss.  Pelé must be forming a great side up above us.

R.I.P.

I’ve been thinking back about Billy all day One of my memories was when he won the Clubs POTY award and the prize was the use of a Talbot car for a year He was presented with his car at HT in a game v sellic He got in the car at the tunnel and drove the car round towards the Love St end and then along the North Bank to great applause Unfortunately for Billy he then had to drive back to where he started and that meant going past the away end 😂 Let’s just say I think the car would have been in for a paint job on the Monday

• 2 weeks later...