One Player And One Player Only

shull

Oh feck it, it's my topic.

Robert Torrance, what a great goalscorer.

Seen him score 5 at Douglas Park as the Team hit eight.

Also, his goal on the 12th of August 1978 will be treasured by me forever, just like McGinn's in October 2008.

And many more by The Executioner as he was christened by Fergie.

Interesting to see the revitalisation of Dorman in our support over the last couple of years. I liked him a lot, but goodness me he was a big target for our boo-boys back in the day. I suppose he was a rare luxury player in the usual pragmatism of Gus' newly promoted teams. Would float around doing not very much for 90 minutes, apart from scoring a worldly that won us the game. 

4 minutes ago, guinness said:

Stark was the best St Mirren player of my time. Set up goals and scored  plenty. My favourite player since I  started watching in the early to mid sixties.

Mine too.

He was a class act.

Magical, majestic and a magnificent football player 

That winning goal at Celtic Park. Fecking Wow.

And many more.

16 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I liked him a lot, but goodness me he was a big target for our boo-boys back in the day. 

Really? 

That will be why he had a very catchy “do do do do” song belted out regularly at Saints games home and away.

There was also a group of his friends who traveled up to see him in action and were warmly welcomed by the crowd. 

I personally do not recall him getting “booed”.

Maybe it’s the company you keep as you always seem quite negative.

14 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Really? 

That will be why he had a very catchy “do do do do” song belted out regularly at Saints games home and away.

There was also a group of his friends who traveled up to see him in action and were warmly welcomed by the crowd. 

I personally do not recall him getting “booed”.

Maybe it’s the company you keep as you always seem quite negative.

Oh yeah he got loads of stick from the north bank. We had a song for Kenny McLean and various other boo boy favourites too 😁I was a big fan of Dorman, but i think he's more popular now than he was when he actually played with us. 

Tommy Wilson for me.  Did think that Derek Hamilton was a good fullback but unfortunately we fetched him back too early from injury and it was an understatement that he had lost a yard of pace.

Now if it was for effort and endeavour I would have had to say Bobby Dawson. Not very good but tried.

On 2/10/2023 at 3:53 PM, TopCat said:

Interesting to see the revitalisation of Dorman in our support over the last couple of years. I liked him a lot, but goodness me he was a big target for our boo-boys back in the day. I suppose he was a rare luxury player in the usual pragmatism of Gus' newly promoted teams. Would float around doing not very much for 90 minutes, apart from scoring a worldly that won us the game. 

It's what we are missing at the moment. A Dorman or Ronan would have popped one in from outside the box yesterday. 

On 2/10/2023 at 6:27 PM, Warrior Saint said:

Do not remember Dorman ever being a target for getting booed, absolute nonsense...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree. I don't remember him ever being booed by many any of our support. He was universally accepted as a flair player. 

I also don’t recall Dormanever being booed.  Apart from being a classy player with a good work rate - and the excitement of Saints securing a “yank” - (not a euphemism), I think this from his wiki reminds us of why he would not be slagged by Buddies…

He made his debut during a home league match against Motherwell on 19 January 2008, and provided an early assist in a 3–1 victory. Dorman then scored a winning goal in a Scottish Cup replay against Dundee United and he also scored against them in a 1–1 draw one month later.