One Player And One Player Only

shull

Dougie Somner would have to be there in terms of the original question:

Pick any former St Mirren player from any era to play and help the present team for the remainder of this Season and get us a European place and may help us win the Scottish Cup.

I really think we are dying out for a prolific striker.

So for me, it's got to be...

Yes I know Shull chose him in the original post, but that is the exact type of player we currently need ................. someone who was a natural penalty box striker and took a higher percentage of goals from the chances that came his way. 

THAT is exactly what we need just now

P.S. Gerry Baker, Tommy Bryceland, Frank McGarvey & Frank McDougall all come close but I would argue that Somner perhaps performed better and scored more in a team that provided the opportunities (he was the highest goalscorer in the league in 79/80 which no other Buddies player has ever achieved!)

6 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Dougie Somner would have to be there in terms of the original question:

Pick any former St Mirren player from any era to play and help the present team for the remainder of this Season and get us a European place and may help us win the Scottish Cup.

I really think we are dying out for a prolific striker.

So for me, it's got to be...

Yes I know Shull chose him in the original post, but that is the exact type of player we currently need ................. someone who was a natural penalty box striker and took a higher percentage of goals from the chances that came his way. 

THAT is exactly what we need just now

P.S. Gerry Baker, Tommy Bryceland, Frank McGarvey & Frank McDougall all come close but I would argue that Somner perhaps performed better and scored more in a team that provided the opportunities (he was the highest goalscorer in the league in 79/80 which no other Buddies player has ever achieved!)

Great post, thanks 

3 minutes ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

Mark Yardley, Barry Lavery, Mr. Torfason :notworthy or how about one of these guys from "Yesteryear"...

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/2810-alistair-miller-and-jim-rodger-welcomed-to-st-mirren

All legends.

Yardley for me.

8 minutes ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

I loved the Big Man.  I remember going to his first game versus Partick Thistle.  I'm sure he scored a header?

I remember it well, although it was against Hamilton Academical when they played there in September 1995.

Amazing we are the same person and we have different clubs for the same player playing against.

Hee hee 

Just now, shull said:

I remember it well, although it was against Hamilton Academical when they played there in September 1995.

Amazing we are the same person and we have different clubs for the same player playing against.

Hee hee 

We were all in the Main Stand that day.

On 2/21/2023 at 12:55 AM, BigYardsAndBasher said:

Oh Hamilton Accies!  I forgot they ground shared at Firhill for a while.  My memory clearly isn't what it used to be.  The story doing the rounds was the Board used their own money to sign him, was that true?

Could be true , I can't remember but the Club was skint then.

It was money well invested. What a brilliant signing Yardley was.

I am sure during the Fergie's Furies era that the Supporters Club in Knox Street put up the transfer money to sign Jack Copland from Dundee United.

Another legend.

Edited by shull