We Buy Any Car

faraway saint

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Buying a brand new car that's a French or Italian marque is a first class demonstration of how to pish large amounts of money away on depreciation. Of course, If the car is white you may get a much better quality vehicle that will actually appreciate in value while you own it.

:booty

That may have been the case years ago with Fiats legendary ability to turn metal into rust but the current crop of Fiats have some of the best resale values on the market . The 500 is particularly sought after and holds its value extremely well. 

9 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

All car manufacturers have issues these days in terms of quality and reliability. 

There is a pressure to reduce costs even with so called premium/luxury brands. 

It used to be the Mercedes was a premium brand but I believe it now shares many components used by other manufacturers. 

There are so many “electronic” parts within a vehicle that can be an absolute nightmare to trace and repair resulting in “limp home” issues. 

Water damage in our climate can cause all manner of issues with modern day cars. We used to be able to repair cars by the side of the road in the 70s and 80s. No longer the case. 

My only advice is to find an independent service that comes recommended that is used to dealing with your vehicle unless you have done a deal with the franchise you purchased the car from. 

Look after the car and it will look after you. 

Happy motoring @faraway saint

yup, Probably the best advice you can give to a car owner  👍

get it serviced regularly by a trusted garage, do your checks on levels and tyres and above all, don’t knock seven bells out of it !! 

8 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

That may have been the case years ago with Fiats legendary ability to turn metal into rust but the current crop of Fiats have some of the best resale values on the market . The 500 is particularly sought after and holds its value extremely well. 

There's a tendency for people of a certain generation to look back to the past when there were more issues with cars than there are now.

I've mentioned you can be unlucky but, overall cars are much more reliable than in years gone by.

Mileage, for instance, these days is far less of an issue than it used to be as cars can reach the legendary 100,000 miles with few issues.

Anyhow, We Buy Any Car can "do one". :rolleyes:

Traded my old Mark 2 Golf in for a Seat and the cheeky salesman asked me if it had been clocked, yeah I was going to clock it to 158,000 miles!! Back to the Italian thing, I've had 2 Alfa Romeos each had 1 significant issue that Alfa, not the dealership, fell over themselves to resolve, an inconvenience for the time they were getting fixed but other than that they have been my favourite cars to drive, I would have got a third if they hadn't stopped making the Mito.

4 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Traded my old Mark 2 Golf in for a Seat and the cheeky salesman asked me if it had been clocked, yeah I was going to clock it to 158,000 miles!! Back to the Italian thing, I've had 2 Alfa Romeos each had 1 significant issue that Alfa, not the dealership, fell over themselves to resolve, an inconvenience for the time they were getting fixed but other than that they have been my favourite cars to drive, I would have got a third if they hadn't stopped making the Mito.

Aye, you clocked it up the way ya dafty. 🤣

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

There's a tendency for people of a certain generation to look back to the past when there were more issues with cars than there are now.

I've mentioned you can be unlucky but, overall cars are much more reliable than in years gone by.

Mileage, for instance, these days is far less of an issue than it used to be as cars can reach the legendary 100,000 miles with few issues.

Anyhow, We Buy Any Car can "do one". :rolleyes:

Absolutely. I served my time as a FIAT apprentice 40 years ago and even we in the garage used to crack jokes about the build quality and we all knew these cars would be gone in 10 years due to rust. 

I am now driving my 3rd Mercedes in 8 years, all brand new and every one has had issues of some sort.   My car was off the road for over 3 months last year waiting for an Air con compressor and yesterday as I drove up from Worcester , it’s developed a throttle / cruise control issue so buying a so called prestige marque is no guarantee of fault free driving. 

Generally when buying a car, do a wee bit of research in the car mags ( I’d filter out the worst reviews from the public , you’ll always get a Lemon ) find one you like & test drive it throughly- if it feels right, fits what you want and the missus likes it, happy motoring 🚗 

Had 6 Toyota Avensis in a row and a Toyota Corolla over the last 20 yrs. 

Apart from 1 of them being in a garage for a week due to me running into the rear of someone else, never had any of them been in a garage overnight for any other repair.

1 of them being new, the other were around 1 year old when i bought them. 

20 years of driving Toyota with no issue is likely meaning i will continue with them for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Had 6 Toyota Avensis in a row and a Toyota Corolla over the last 20 yrs. 

Apart from 1 of them being in a garage for a week due to me running into the rear of someone else, never had any of them been in a garage overnight for any other repair.

1 of them being new, the other were around 1 year old when i bought them. 

20 years of driving Toyota with no issue is likely meaning i will continue with them for the foreseeable future. 

Had a 56 plate Toyota , they had a big issue with the Cylinder head gaskets back then but generally bulletproof.
Last three hire cars from Gatwick have been Toyota CH-R Hybrid auto, brilliant cars 👍

Before that i had a Renault Espace , best car and the worst car I’ve ever had !!  
When it went well, it was brilliant . It would have been so much better if bits didn’t keep falling off and it didn’t break down so much 😂.    We had a team of 12 area managers at the time but when we reduced that to 10 we kept the 12 Espaces as we knew at least one was going to be in the garage 🙄

6 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Had a 56 plate Toyota , they had a big issue with the Cylinder head gaskets back then but generally bulletproof.
Last three hire cars from Gatwick have been Toyota CH-R Hybrid auto, brilliant cars 👍

Before that i had a Renault Espace , best car and the worst car I’ve ever had !!  
When it went well, it was brilliant . It would have been so much better if bits didn’t keep falling off and it didn’t break down so much 😂.    We had a team of 12 area managers at the time but when we reduced that to 10 we kept the 12 Espaces as we knew at least one was going to be in the garage 🙄

Had a 56 plate saloon for around 2 to 3 years with no issues. 

Only changed it because i tend to only keep cars for around 3 years max due to me just wanting a change. 

The CH-R is the car the wife wanted before we (me) decided it was costing to much and went with the Corolla instead. 

Worst car was a Rover 25, and i still don't know why after 25 years i bought it. 

Edited by Tommy

• 1 month later...