St Mirren v Ross County SPFL PREMIERSHIP 18/2/23

shull

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

My mate knows this ref had him at boys club level said he was always pretty fair.

I also thought he had a good game today definitely did let game flow didn't try and be centre of attention like some(see Beaton's red card today).

Obviously red card was a missed call but in real time I'll give him benefit of the doubt but that situation showed VAR in a good light used exactly as it was meant to rectify a missed call by the ref.

Sent from my T671H using Tapatalk

Away.

Go and watch Sportscene and see how far away he was from it. Even Mr Magoo could have spotted it.

Like other refs he seemed to allow Main to be kicked all over the place.

On one of the few occasions that he did blow for main being fouled, Main had passed the ball to O'Hara who was running into the box. He should have played advantage, but instead blew for a foul.

He was better than some we've had, but it's hardly a high bar that has been set.

10 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Oh dear , you’re having a mare here 😂.
Let’s compare this seasons figures (2022-23 to date )as per the attached pic.
As not all of the players listed were here last season, I feel it’s only fair that we use that as comparison .  
Just to ensure fairness I’ve included Brophys single goal so far at County in the figures .

Minutes on the pitch . 
St.Mirren 277 - 0 Goals. 

Ross county 188 - 1 goal . 

Total in all competitions for season 2022-23 for both clubs .

532 Minutes on the pitch for an incredible return of 1 Goal ……. Wow !! 

That’s significantly less than Ayunga, Grieve, Main, Watt & Even Mark Ohara . His shot accuracy is also worse than our current strikers .

When Brophy joined us I desperately wanted him to succeed, it simply hasn’t worked and it was best for both parties that he move on. 

5E479784-4070-46F2-8B73-AD563F5E7893.jpeg

I was clearly not referring to just this season. Now do the same work with all their minutes played for St Mirren and work it out 😂

14 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I was clearly not referring to just this season. Now do the same work with all their minutes played for St Mirren and work it out 😂

532 minutes of football ….. one single solitary goal 😂😂😂😂.   

Im surprised Real Madrid & Barcelona aren’t battering our door down to sign that gaol machine .😂😂😂

19 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

Dogged performance and a great three points, very well done Saints 

All that matters. In previous seasons this is exactly the kind of game we would have lost a late equaliser. 

Now lets get a result in Perth for a change. 

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

A low bar but yes probably. Second half he was good. Still looks over weight and unfit though, and was no surprise he was hooked instead of an injured Main.

You're all over the place.

🤣🤣🤣

Watt has always been a big unit and not known for his speed.

He's smart and has a reasonable level of skill, sadly lacking in most of our team.

Keep it up, my sides are aching. 🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

My mate knows this ref had him at boys club level said he was always pretty fair.

I also thought he had a good game today definitely did let game flow didn't try and be centre of attention like some(see Beaton's red card today).

Obviously red card was a missed call but in real time I'll give him benefit of the doubt but that situation showed VAR in a good light used exactly as it was meant to rectify a missed call by the ref.

Sent from my T671H using Tapatalk

He's the best and fairest ref I've seen this season let stuff go with both teams.. don't even know who was 

3 special mentions. Main for working through the pain barrier. Strain for being the best player on the pitch - again. And Robinson's great substitution taking off Small who was being rinsed by the RC sub, moving Fraser over to deal with him and bringing Joe on.

Robinson's substitutions recently have all been excellent and helped us out. Something Goodwin never managed to do.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

First thing to say is that the points were the most important thing today, after Wednesday's result. So, well done to the team as a whole for a much improved performance from midweek. Despite having less possession than the visitors, we dominated the game for the most part.

Lucky for us that Main was passed fit. Put in another fine shift for the team. Watt did OK but still looks a stretch off fully fit, and needs to finish off chances if he wants to be a striker. Not MOM for me. That goes to either Strain or Flynn, take your pick. Both had a fine game.

Inability to score when on top still the most concerning aspect of our game. Needed a couple of fine saves from Carson, who had his usual solid performance, to prevent an RC equaliser near the end. That would have been throwing 2 points away, but luckily we held on.

Thought the ref was just OK, nothing special. For me, he let too many fouls go.

Finally, if we have top 6 aspirations, we must back this result up with a win in Perth next week.

COYS!!

That was a lot harder work than it should have been. We should have been out of site and cruising, early doors. But. A win's a win. Much needed and gets us ever closer to a nice comfortable end to the season. 

Main did what we have come to expect of him. Can you imagine what he'd be worth if he added even a few more goals?

Football is a strange, subjective animal. I thought Watt was, at best, mediocre yesterday. I don't think young Offord did too badly given he hasn't featured much at all. It would have been expecting too much to see him at full throttle. In saying that, I would have preferred to see Jamieson on in his stead.

Given that they normally add up to one player in the team I thought Flynn and Kiltie did really well for the 90 odd minutes. A big well done to Gallagher. He's surely proving the "famous Aberdeen" supporters how wrong they were about him and I hope his injury is not serious. 

As for the "tackle" on Carson at the end. That lad should be up in court for common assault. It was more akin to fight club than football. How it took VAR to decide was beyond me as we collectively "ouched" in real time.

Edited by stlucifer

5 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

That was a lot harder work than it should have been. We should have been out of site and cruising, early doors. But. A win's a win. Much needed and gets us ever closer to a nice comfortable end to the season. 

Main did what we have come to expect of him. Can you imagine what he'd be worth if he added even a few more goals?

Football is a strange, subjective animal. I thought Watt was, at best, mediocre yesterday. I don't think young Offord did too badly given he hasn't featured much at all. It would have been expecting too much to see him at full throttle. In saying that, I would have preferred to see Jamieson on in his stead.

Given that they normally add up to one player in the team I thought Flynn and Kiltie did really well for the 90 odd minutes. A big well done to Gallagher. He's surely proving the "famous Aberdeen" supporters how wrong they were about him and I hope his injury is not serious. 

As for the "tackle" on Carson at the end. That lad should be up in court for common assault. It was more akin to fight club that football. How it took VAR to decide was beyond me as we collectively "ouched" in real time.

Yeah, tackle was a disgrace. I can understand that you’re desperate for an equaliser but there was no way he was getting the ball.

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

WE had a shot cleared off the line?

Seems to have been overlooked by many,. :wink:

Main hit the post too.

I seem to remember some of the "experts " in our support writing off Greive after his first few months with us.

Far too early to judge Offord.

Whether he makes it or not is still in the balance. I'll wait and see how he gets on between now and the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

BBC Sport used to provide the online highlights from the Sportscene coverage for our games. 

Any reason why this is no longer the case?

They still do. Usually need to wait 24 hours after the initial broadcast for the short highlights.

Sky however.............

St Mirren 1-0 Ross County | Scottish Premiership highlights | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports

Full Sportscene here.

BBC iPlayer - Sportscene - Premiership Highlights 2022/23: 18/02/2023

Edited by FTOF

Good 3 points yesterday. Could have made it a bit easier on ourselves but would take 1-0 every game. 

impressed for Offord when he came on. Looked sharp & capable of getting in-between defenders. Unlucky not to score as well. 

Hopefully he gets some more game time in the upcoming fixtures. 

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

Good 3 points yesterday. Could have made it a bit easier on ourselves but would take 1-0 every game. 

impressed for Offord when he came on. Looked sharp & capable of getting in-between defenders. Unlucky not to score as well. 

Hopefully he gets some more game time in the upcoming fixtures. 

About young Offord. I've not watched it back but, anyone else think he should have had a penalty during that stramash when Edwards? batters into the back of him in the centre of the goal?

Great day yesterday.

Enjoyed the game but it was back to that whole why can’t we just put teams to the sword thing. Very frustrating. Lots of great performances though and we held on so that’s the main thing. Have to agree with the comments about Offord. We mentioned it at the game. It was bizarre. He just didn’t look interested. Just strolling about. Looked like a guy who had been running his socks off for 90 minutes, rather than someone who had just come in with fresh legs.

Crackin wee night in the Club Bar. Apologies to any passers by at a couple of points in the evening who rushed in thinking that Brandon Flowers and Neil Diamond had made impromptu appearances.