St Mirren v Ross County SPFL PREMIERSHIP 18/2/23

shull

35 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Great day yesterday.

Enjoyed the game but it was back to that whole why can’t we just put teams to the sword thing. Very frustrating. Lots of great performances though and we held on so that’s the main thing. Have to agree with the comments about Offord. We mentioned it at the game. It was bizarre. He just didn’t look interested. Just strolling about. Looked like a guy who had been running his socks off for 90 minutes, rather than someone who had just come in with fresh legs.

Crackin wee night in the Club Bar. Apologies to any passers by at a couple of points in the evening who rushed in thinking that Brandon Flowers and Neil Diamond had made impromptu appearances. 

You have to be joking. The boy near scored and, I believe, was fouled during the melee in the box. Right in the thick of things. NOT on the peripheral. Look. Not everyone who doesn't run around like a headless chicken is "not interested". This is a young man who has been thrown on when a team is tiring. He was NEVER going to be a one man show. I saw enough to see he's a clever player who looks to get between defenders and will, in time, score goals. 

26 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

You have to be joking. The boy near scored and, I believe, was fouled during the melee in the box. Right in the thick of things. NOT on the peripheral. Look. Not everyone who doesn't run around like a headless chicken is "not interested". This is a young man who has been thrown on when a team is tiring. He was NEVER going to be a one man show. I saw enough to see he's a clever player who looks to get between defenders and will, in time, score goals. 

I, surprisingly, agree.

He added energy, showed a willingness to receive the ball and wasn't scared to attack their defence. 

Not the finished article by any means but showed enough that he's got some potential. 

51 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Aye awrite. Keep yer knickers on love. All about opinions. 

16 hours ago, FTOF said:

Excellent?

He missed the one big call in the game, despite being a few yards away and having a clear view of Edward's tackle, which was a total shocker.

Aye your right when its played back on tv its a red card. Wasn't much made of it at the time by crowd or players given the severity of it.

Should have been spotted. 

The thing with VAR is that refs are now taking the easier option knowing that VAR will flag up issues like this 

Aye your right when its played back on tv its a red card. Wasn't much made of it at the time by crowd or players given the severity of it.
Should have been spotted. 
The thing with VAR is that refs are now taking the easier option knowing that VAR will flag up issues like this 
Think it was hard to see in real time from the stands I'm in W7 near the front and just thought he had went for ball with a reasonable chance of getting it. Didn't see how bad it was until Sportscene.
Usually red cards outside box for similar challenges are easier to spot for referees as normally no one else around like I said previously I'm willing to give him benefit of the doubt on this one.

Sent from my T671H using Tapatalk

Great result yesterday.  Can’t believe so many are grumbling.

We could have been well clear and created lots of good chances. It also wasn’t as bad a game as some seem to make out. Quite a decent amount of goalmouth action and we sprung a few good counterattack opportunities after turning over possession. Yes it would have been nice to add more goals but the result is the main thing.

The lad Offord did well enough. I think folk need to remember that these youngsters are kids, it’s a big step and they need a bit of time to give them a chance. I think coming into the second half at that age and even a few sprints. higher intensity at top level, with adrenaline all over the place, it’s probably easy to end up blowing quickly. He’ll get fitter and manage the game better. 

46 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Think it was hard to see in real time from the stands I'm in W7 near the front and just thought he had went for ball with a reasonable chance of getting it. Didn't see how bad it was until Sportscene.
Usually red cards outside box for similar challenges are easier to spot for referees as normally no one else around like I said previously I'm willing to give him benefit of the doubt on this one.

Sent from my T671H using Tapatalk

Yep i agree i think he interpreted it as 50/50 at the time, when you see it back on tv its a red. 

Still doesn't change my opinion of his performance. He's getting a good few Premiership matches this season which is a reflection of his ability.

19 hours ago, TopCat said:

I was clearly not referring to just this season. Now do the same work with all their minutes played for St Mirren and work it out 😂

Job done …..

and it gets worse for Brophy when you remove his single goal for Ross county and include last season and the blank return from half season before - his average return in a St.Mirren strip is…

2904 minutes on the pitch - 8 Goals . A rate of 1 goal every 363 minutes 

This puts him miles behind Ayunga on 1 goal every  231 minutes & amost 15% behind Grieve on 1 goal every 336 minutes . 
He is however just ahead of Main who has 1 goal in every 388 minutes with Saints .

However, behind those stats are a couple of things which need to be taken into account .

1. Curtis Main has improved dramatically this season while Brophy hasn’t even scored for us so no score ratio can be given. 
2. Wonder if anyone can work out how much each strikers goals have cost the club in £££s . I’d hazard a guess that Grieve would be comfortably ahead on that reckoning while I’d suggest top earner Brophy hasn't given us anywhere near enough bang for the Buck . 

That’s me finished on this one, was a nice distraction on a Sunday afternoon to do the figures  but unless you can come up with a compelling Pro- Brophy argument ( with facts please ) then in Dragons Den speak - I’m out 👋👋

We have a group of hardworking players but yesterday I felt they made hard work of their victory!

We got off to a very bright start and got an early goal.  Our group was discussing the last time one of our players scored a header from a corner kick.  I said Lee Mair against Hamilton Accies, another said they thought big Joe Shaughnessy had scored with a header from a corner.

Anyway, we seemed to go into our shell a little bit and Ross County started getting into the game more, although most of their possession in the First Half was in their half of the pitch.  In the Second Half, Ross County became better at getting into our half of the pitch, had a few corners (three in a row if I remember) and the odd chance.  Owura Edwards has pace and skill but his falling down and then assault on Trevor Carson blotted his copybook.  What an idiot he was.

I was impressed with Victor Loturi, Ross County's number 14.  He was very comfortable on the ball, seemed capable of using both feet and doing little twists and turns to get away from our players apart from near the end when one of our players robbed him of the ball, Ryan Flynn I think it was?

The stramash in County's goal mouth was almost comedy gold!  Ross Laidlaw did do well for them to be fair and his post helped them out as well!

At the end of the day, it's another Home win and another three points and that's what it's all about.

Come on you Saints! 🔴

16 hours ago, Sonny said:

3 special mentions. Main for working through the pain barrier. Strain for being the best player on the pitch - again. And Robinson's great substitution taking off Small who was being rinsed by the RC sub, moving Fraser over to deal with him and bringing Joe on.

Robinson's substitutions recently have all been excellent and helped us out. Something Goodwin never managed to do.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Spot on.  When Thierry Small was going off did my ears deceive me at first?  It definitely sounded like the announcer said "Charles Dunne" but I'm sure it was number 16 on the substitutions board being held up?!

On 2/18/2023 at 5:39 PM, santaponsasaint said:

Again not a great performance. We were good for 10 mins and then went back into our shell. Team worked hard. Big shout out for Ryan Flynn. Hardly played this season, and he ran himself to a stand still .At the end we should have put the game to bed but missed a couple of sitters. Anyway 3 points and that's what matters.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Not just one of my current favourite St. Mirren players but one of my all time favourites.  He gives everything, gets asked to play in different positions and it doesn't seem to faze him!  He's been a tremendous servant to the Club.