Gary Lineker

beyond our ken

9 hours ago, W6er said:

I don't know where to start when it comes to @antrin's belief that the Germans were heartlessly turning away refugees arriving from France during the 1930s, for example. 

Of course, you don’t!    :lol:

Because I’ve never said nor believed that.

It doesn’t help you by creating False News.  I have never believed nor promulgated such fantasy/insanity, (LYING) on here or elsewhere.

ALBANIAN BUDDY has rebutted other bits of your fantastical bollox.

Jon Stewart and Ian Hislop talk about such lying, here:  

Edited by antrin

On 3/13/2023 at 11:34 PM, antrin said:

NO.

According to a general benign acceptance by the the UK population the BBC should be an independent/politically neutral entity - one for which we all pay a minimal fee to help ensure the cohesion of our society.

It is a great asset - the envy of many societies around the globe.

This current stramash is due to the attempt by the current shambolic government to neuter it, to silence all opposition and to fill it with paid right wing henchmen, so that the last bastion of independent opinion can be shut down.

The newspapers are all owned by right-wing, non tax-paying, non-domiciled capitalists who have no interest in the general well-being of UK citizens other than for exploitation.  They pump out their poison that is seldom subject to the rigorous standards set by the BBC… usually.

The licence fee could easily be subsumed into tax.  You wouldn’t even know.  You'd assume it was yet another of the “free” miracle benefits of being British.  It is irrelevant other than to demonstrate that the BBC IS independent of government.

You could make your same fallacious comment about the NHS. “It's shocking that fit people have to pay for a service they don’t use”.  
Same for education and roads.  Living in a civilised society has its costs - sometimes paid for by those who are lucky enough to have the least need.

ETA:

just been on the BBC website.

I see where you get your thinking from…

But Tory backbench MP Philip Davies told the Mail Online the BBC's decision was a "pathetic capitulation" to Lineker and the "start of the end for the licence fee", while ex-cabinet minister Jacob Rees-Mogg also warned the "licence fee has passed its sell-by date".”

great, forward-thinking company to be keeping…. :rolleyes:

Well said, that man 👍.

3 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Perhaps @W6er if you get some time have a read of this book. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inglorious-Empire-What-British-India/dp/0141987146/

or at the very least listen to what the author has to say on a subject that he has thoroughly researched.

Once you listen to an alternative view than your own on history perhaps you might understand that your wiki-daily mail views are not a true source of historical factual information.

Find out more about the the Indian soldiers “volunteers” and the broken promises of the British for both World Wars.

Research the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre and how the British General responsible was given a massive financial reward.

Investigate the policies of Churchill and the direct impact of multiple famines and how many people starved to death. As one example during WW2 an estimated 3million Bengalis starved to death under British rule.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/29/winston-churchill-policies-contributed-to-1943-bengal-famine-study

Churchill blamed this on the natives because they were “breeding like rabbits”. 

Really find out why the British built rail roads. 

Research the destruction of the Indian economy - the punishment beatings and torture dished out to weavers was very unpleasant. 

Research how the British “Christians” raped women and children and set up 350 prostitution centres. 

https://www.myindiamyglory.com/2019/03/10/atrocities-on-indian-women-and-india-by-british-during-their-rule/

I could go on but it’s clear we have a different view on history. 

I am always open to having my views changed, however the evidence you provide for your claims are not what could be described as credible………

2CE7782C-7D3C-4488-ABBA-C911BA142197.jpeg

12 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

😂 thought it was not worth the hassle.
He clearly has a view that differs from mine. 
If he is arguing that Britain’s past is glorious and without any evidence of slavery, rape and murder then that’s up to him. 
I must go and get some sleep. I’m up at first light to go find evidence of the cotton fields in Paisley. 

Where should I try first?

Cotton Street?

I think you will find that this statement is not true. I am providing  some context to your statements about slavery, rape and murder that you are posting without credible sources of validity. 

59 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

I’ve provided accurate and credible accounts of one countries experience of British colonialism. 

Accurate and credible? “He had obtained photo copies of British Christian officers personnel diary’s “ 

Your heart seems to be in the right place AB but I sense your more guided by ideology than objectivity, good luck to you. 

33 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Accurate and credible? “He had obtained photo copies of British Christian officers personnel diary’s “ 

Your heart seems to be in the right place AB but I sense your more guided by ideology than objectivity, good luck to you. 

I’d rather my heart was in the right place than someone who it would appear seems to deny the murder, rape, slavery and pillage that took place in the advancement of British Colonialism.

Are you implying that none of these events or massacres took place?

Much of the evidence provided by Shashi Tharoor regarding India is freely available from British archive records. 

If what he wrote was not factual do you not think that his evidence would have been ripped to shreds?

Why don’t you write a counter argument and get it published?

It’s certainly not clear to me what you are objecting to when all I said at the start was that given our shameful history we should be more tolerant as a society.

Cut and paste from Guardian to demonstrate how the Tories manipulate the media to present their abhorrent policies and propaganda. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/18/braverman-criticised-for-shutting-out-guardian-and-bbc-from-rwanda-trip

“Suella Braverman has made her first trip to Rwanda as home secretary amid criticism that the Guardian, other liberal newspapers and the BBC were not invitedon the publicly funded visit.

Before the trip on Friday, Braverman said her controversial policy to deport asylum seekers to the African country “will act as a powerful deterrent against dangerous and illegal journeys”.

The charity Freedom from Torture labelled it a “showboat trip” after it emerged that the Guardian, the BBC, the Daily Mirror, the Independent and the i newspaper were not invited. The home secretary will be accompanied by journalists from organisations including GB News, the Daily Mail and the Telegraph.

The BBC later requested and was given accreditation for a crew from the regional BBC bureau to attend on the ground.

Sonya Sceats, the chief executive at Freedom from Torture, described the policy as a “cash-for-humans” scheme.

She said: “Braverman is jetting off on a showboat trip to Rwanda the very week that the court of appeal has accepted that there are serious questions to be answered over the legality of this government’s cash-for-humans scheme.

“Following the outpouring of support for Gary Lineker and his compassionate stand on behalf of refugees, this government knows it is on the back foot and is once again ramping up the cruelty to distract from their own failures.”

Index on Censorship, which works to defend freedom of expression, also criticised the exclusion of some news organisations. Its editor at large, Martin Bright, said: “We are concerned to hear that journalists from organisations judged to be critical of the government’s immigration policy have not been invited … Democracy depends on an open and transparent relationship between government and the media, where all journalists are able to scrutinise the government.“