St Mirren v Livingstone, 1/4/23

11 hours ago, TopCat said:

Livis final three games are Motherwell, St Johnstone and Dundee Utd

Away to Motherwell and Dundee Utd are not exactly easy fixtures Home to the fakes isn’t a banker either I would think Livy would be doing well to take 3 points from those games 

I usually feel that international breaks always come at a bad time for Saints and interrupt a period of improving form.  That's not the case this time.  Several players will have banked valuablle training and rehab hours by the time this comes up and I am hoping that we see Tait back in the squad with Boyd-Munce getting close to match-fitness.

13 hours ago, TopCat said:

Still haven’t answered the question. Plenty of teams have made top six with smaller budgets than us -Livi have managed it several times - finishing half way up a shan league is hardly something to be proud of, but it’s been the stated aim of the manager since the day he arrived. We are simply judging him by his own standards and objectives. Perfectly reasonable objective too, given we were in the top six the day he walked through the door. 
Livi’s run in is clearly easier than ours, they don’t even play another top six team much while we have two away  games against the top three.
If their form is poor then what is ours? We have one win in our last seven - at home County. Livi have two wins in their last seven, at home to Killie and County.

I actually think we will beat them in two weeks. Our home form in the league has been the only real positive this season and we’ve already beaten them once in Paisley. I think we beat them in two weeks and they overtake us in the two games after and we go into the final game against Killie needing to better their result. 

Our home form is the only real positive!! I am unsurprised why in so many cases I’m sitting next to fans booing and moaning about their team.

We have been much much worse. Our home form is excellent and if we’re not happy with top 6 what’s the ideal?Euro  Football, world domination?

Having sat through some real dross (most of the 90’s) this is like a golden age.

More people should be happy with where we are regardless of how Livvy get on.

13 hours ago, HSS said:

Away to Motherwell and Dundee Utd are not exactly easy fixtures Home to the fakes isn’t a banker either I would think Livy would be doing well to take 3 points from those games 

United will be a different proposition after the international break and I am glad we are done with them for now.  Motherwell actually look good now and it's entirely possible that Liv will lose both so we probably need to beat Livi and Killie while avoiding a heavy defeat to the scum if we are to finish in the top 6

I also repeat my beilef that we will do Hearts, even a draw would be good but I think we have the beating of them if we can just get a goal or two.  I am really hoping that Watt can get back to fitness and offer something tangible

United will be a different proposition after the international break and I am glad we are done with them for now.  Motherwell actually look good now and it's entirely possible that Liv will lose both so we probably need to beat Livi and Killie while avoiding a heavy defeat to the scum if we are to finish in the top 6
  I also repeat my beilef that we will do Hearts, even a draw would be good but I think we have the beating of them if we can just get a goal or two.  I am really hoping that Watt can get back to fitness and offer something tangible
Hearts fans are unhappy with their players & manager in a big way they didn't look great v us but somehow got 4 points from 6 when it should really have been other way around.

I think we will need something from Hearts or we will miss out and can see it being last 5 minutes heartbreak like v Hamilton.

Our terrible away form and 1 point from 6 v ten men St Johnstone will ultimately be the reason we don't make it if that is what happens.

Sent from my T671H using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Hunterian said:

Our home form is the only real positive!! I am unsurprised why in so many cases I’m sitting next to fans booing and moaning about their team.

We have been much much worse. Our home form is excellent and if we’re not happy with top 6 what’s the ideal?Euro  Football, world domination?

Having sat through some real dross (most of the 90’s) this is like a golden age.

More people should be happy with where we are regardless of how Livvy get on.

What other positives are there? Certainly not our away form or our cup performances - both have been terrible. But like you said, our home record in the league has been excellent, a real and tangible positive from this season. We are simply judging Robinson by his own target - he came in and said he wanted to make us a top six club.  Let's see if he can reach his own objective. To say 'we have been much worse before' has almost always been true and it was true in the dark days of the 90's too - in 1974 we finished 29th in Scotland! 

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

What other positives are there? Certainly not our away form or our cup performances - both have been terrible. But like you said, our home record in the league has been excellent, a real and tangible positive from this season. We are simply judging Robinson by his own target - he came in and said he wanted to make us a top six club.  Let's see if he can reach his own objective. To say 'we have been much worse before' has almost always been true and it was true in the dark days of the 90's too - in 1974 we finished 29th in Scotland! 

I don’t think that Robbo’s aspiration for top 6 is any different from my own as a fan.

Too many Manager’s have been toppled by fans lack of realism.

If he manages that then onto the next step.  The Cup comment is interesting. Danny won a cup but ultimately it was the League form that stopped him getting a new contract.

16 minutes ago, Hunterian said:

I don’t think that Robbo’s aspiration for top 6 is any different from my own as a fan.

Too many Manager’s have been toppled by fans lack of realism.

If he manages that then onto the next step.  The Cup comment is interesting. Danny won a cup but ultimately it was the League form that stopped him getting a new contract.

Don't mention Danny, @TopCat disliked him as much as he does our current manager.

He had a never ending agenda against Lennon that was eye-watering. 

PS When he mentions, for the umpteenth time, our cup performances, he conveniently omits it was Celtic that put us out of the Scottish cup, no real shame in that. 

Edited by faraway saint

5 hours ago, Warrior Saint said:

Honestly couldn't care less about this top 6 crap, 2 extra games against the Glasgow two, no thanks...

Aye, who needs extra money which, in turn, allows us to attract better players, which in turn increases our chances of going further and even winning a national trophy.

Much better kicking about the bottom end of the league, playing the shittier teams and being forever a bottom feeder club.

Jeezo! 

Edited by faraway saint

f**k it. I’ve decided to come up for this one.

Need to be in London for work on the Thursday and Friday so instead of flying back on Friday evening I’m just going to train it up to Glasgow Friday afternoon and flying back to Jersey from Glasgow on Sunday. 
Don’t think I’ve seen us fail to win at home to Livi so hopefully that trend continues. 

f**k it. I’ve decided to come up for this one.
Need to be in London for work on the Thursday and Friday so instead of flying back on Friday evening I’m just going to train it up to Glasgow Friday afternoon and flying back to Jersey from Glasgow on Sunday. 
Don’t think I’ve seen us fail to win at home to Livi so hopefully that trend continues. 
Nice. With the combination of my son being the mascot he might get his prediction of 12-0 to us then [emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, who needs extra money which, in turn, allows us to attract better players, which in turn increases our chances of going further and even winning a national trophy.

Much better kicking about the bottom end of the league, playing the shittier teams and being forever a bottom feeder club.

Jeezo! 

If we have Kilmarnock  at home ,it will be sell out ,ditto v Dundee utd ,higher  crowds that we would get v old firm

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

If we have Kilmarnock  at home ,it will be sell out ,ditto v Dundee utd ,higher  crowds that we would get v old firm

Aye, so a higher league placing isn't of any interest to you? 

The "slight" difference in crowd's you mention would be nowhere near the income from a league placing. 

I despair.  🙄

Edited by faraway saint

35 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Regardless if we make top 6 or not U have enjoyed this season. Robbo is turning the club around and making watching us good again. Well home form anyway. 

It’s absolutely terrific to be away from the relegation zone.

Our work rate without the ball from front to back has been incredible turnaround.

If I had any criticisms they would be:

- quite one dimensional. I’d like to see us vary our style. As an example we continue to throw these long throw ins and invariably these come to nothing. 

- obviously we don’t score enough goals. I think we create enough chances but we just lack a good striker. They unfortunately cost a great deal and invariably they can’t hit their own arse when they sign for us! 

- the omission of big Joe has been baffling considering suspensions to central defenders.

- we have not progressed at times when we have secured a good result. As an example we should have put some daylight between ourselves and a poor Aberdeen side after we won away. Now we are back chasing them. That was a key point in the season when we did not capitalise on that result.

- we were very unlucky against Hearts in two key games which would have propelled us higher up the table

- we have not been able to kill off poor sides like Dundee Utd away. We have obviously dropped many points away from home against some poor sides.

Much improved though - but I feel that it’s a missed opportunity this season to nail a European place.