New First Minister of Scotland

shull

33 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Why? 

Again, why are the "greens" losing votes and, exactly, what weird nonsense?,

Now now, FS, are you being difficult ?

I think we both understand that Guinness's post is referring to SNP's alliance with the Greens being "vote-losing" for the SNP.

Today's appointment is (IMO) a suicide note signed by about a third of the SNP membership (26k of the eligible 72k had him as first choice). The Scottish public have made it clear in recent opinion polls that the 'continuity candidate' was not their preferred person to lead the Scottish Parliament and, sure as eggs is eggs, support for the SNP will continue to ebb away.

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Now now, FS, are you being difficult ?

I think we both understand that Guinness's post is referring to SNP's alliance with the Greens being "vote-losing" for the SNP.

Today's appointment is (IMO) a suicide note signed by about a third of the SNP membership (26k of the eligible 72k had him as first choice). The Scottish public have made it clear in recent opinion polls that the 'continuity candidate' was not their preferred person to lead the Scottish  and, sure as eggs is eggs, support for the SNP will continue to ebb away.

Why, EXACTLY, is alliance with the Green party a vote loser?

IF this has some substance, why did wee Nicky, and the party, agree to this, or stick with it?  

Are you saying the vote to put Humza in place isn't enough to show a true reflection of the SNP support and if this is the case surely that would show the SNP are out of touch with the public?

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The Greens now hold the balance of power. The tail has been wagging the dog throughout this parliament. If SNP voters had wanted Green policies to become law they would have voted for the Green candidate at the election. 

But of course you already know this.

IF this has some substance, why did wee Nicky, and the party, agree to this, or stick with it?  

SNP are a minority government because of the electoral system rules. They require the support of the Greens MSPs to create the majority that allows them to outvote Labour / Tories / Lib Dems at Holyrood. Consequently the people of Scotland are being greenwashed.

Are you saying the vote to put Humza in place isn't enough to show a true reflection of the SNP support and if this is the case surely that would show the SNP are out of touch with the public?

Humza would not be the choice of the majority of Scottish voters. Opinion polls showed Kate Forbes was the public's preference.

Yes, SNP are hopelessly out of touch. 

We all know this.

36 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The Greens now hold the balance of power. The tail has been wagging the dog throughout this parliament. If SNP voters had wanted Green policies to become law they would have voted for the Green candidate at the election. 

SNP are a minority government because of the electoral system rules. They require the support of the Greens MSPs to create the majority that allows them to outvote Labour / Tories / Lib Dems at Holyrood. Consequently the people of Scotland are being greenwashed.

This is not entirely true. The SNP have managed to run Scotland as a minority Government before. The real reason for bringing the greens on board and allowing, as you say, the tail to wag the dog is to allow them to guarantee they have a majority, independence government as opposed to a possible majority of independence seeking MSPs. As for your point below, re Forbes, I think she was the least "not wanted". Let's be honest. The three of them are, quite frankly, awful. I will continue to vote for the cause of independence but it will be grudgingly as it will, outwardly, appear to legitimise this new leader.

Humza would not be the choice of the majority of Scottish voters. Opinion polls showed Kate Forbes was the public's preference.

We all know this.

We all know this.
Who were the people questioned for this opinion poll? If it was a general cross section of the Scottish public then about half of them don't vote SNP and the majority of that half would never vote SNP, so they would likely have no intention of picking the "best" candidate as their "preference" would be for the SNP to fail. If it was only SNP voters and those who might vote SNP then fair enough.

Having said that, none of the candidates filled me with enthusiasm.

I've said before that I am an independence supporter, not an SNP supporter. At this moment, the SNP are the best vehicle to achieve that. If another party becomes a better vehicle, I will vote for them. After independence, I'd be seriously looking at the policies of all the brand new Scottish parties that will be formed for the election.

12 hours ago, Slarti said:

I've said before that I am an independence supporter, not an SNP supporter. At this moment, the SNP are the best vehicle to achieve that. If another party becomes a better vehicle, I will vote for them.

Up till only a few years ago I would have echoed this sentiment exactly. Alas, since the SNP Scottish government became beholden to the  Scottish Greens they have lost my support. I'm certain many other long-term SNP supporters will feel the same.

12 hours ago, Slarti said:

After independence, I'd be seriously looking at the policies of all the brand new Scottish parties that will be formed for the election.

Slarti, you have highlighted an excellent point that many SNP-haters don't grasp.

It is a common misconception by some that an independent Scotland would automatically mean that the SNP would govern forever more. As you rightly point out, there would still be other parties to chose from coming from a wide spectrum of political views. In fact, post-independence, why would the SNP continue to exist at all. It would be 'mission accomplished', no longer a need to campaign for independence, no need to continue. Using Brexit as a parallel example, what has become of UKIP since 2016 ? 

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Up till only a few years ago I would have echoed this sentiment exactly. Alas, since the SNP Scottish government became beholden to the  Scottish Greens they have lost my support. I'm certain many other long-term SNP supporters will feel the same.

Slarti, you have highlighted an excellent point that many SNP-haters don't grasp.

It is a common misconception by some that an independent Scotland would automatically mean that the SNP would govern forever more. As you rightly point out, there would still be other parties to chose from coming from a wide spectrum of political views. In fact, post-independence, why would the SNP continue to exist at all. It would be 'mission accomplished', no longer a need to campaign for independence, no need to continue. Using Brexit as a parallel example, what has become of UKIP since 2016 ? 

On the first point you make. I hope you continue to cast your vote for the SNP in UK elections as that vote is indicative of the opinion for self governance as opposed to the SNP running the newly, independent Scotland, as your well put second point explains.

ETA. I have had to explain to some, if you want rid of the SNP, then vote SNP.

Edited by stlucifer

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It took over the Tory party.  Hadn’t you noticed?!

3 hours ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Lost faith in him after the Dundee nursery carry on. It was a genuine administration error and he tried to make it about race I had a chuckle at him on stv news last night when he spoke about facing up to racism (imaginary that he concocted) poor show really. 

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

There is always Alba ? 

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Lost faith in him after the Dundee nursery carry on. It was a genuine administration error and he tried to make it about race I had a chuckle at him on stv news last night when he spoke about facing up to racism (imaginary that he concocted) poor show really. 

Also made a big play of all the big jobs being taken by white people, Chief Medical Officer, Head of Police Scotland etc

Scotland is over 90% white so I’d be more worried if there weren’t whities in most of these jobs.

Also conveniently forgot to mention that there are (probably) more Chinese people in Scotland.

On 3/27/2023 at 4:19 PM, faraway saint said:

They needed the Green MSPs to form a government. Apparently it was the Greens who pushed the contentious trans stuff.

Hasn't Kate Forbes been given a very junior position, hence her resignation?

Yousaf's first Cabinet is a massive own goal. Where's the talent ? By shutting out all of those who had backed Kate Forbes ( who won 48% of the leadership vote) he has managed to split the SNP beyond recovery. 

His debut as First Minister at FMQs today was cringeworthy. Utterly f**king hopeless. Nothing but pre-prepared, rehearsed answers unrelated to the questions he was asked by the opposition. Clearly incapable of offering a valid, pertinent response to probing questions. A Sturgeon puppet with no believable ideas of his own. Douglas Ross, a Grade 1 fud, beat him hands down.

Stating the bleeding obvious alert - this guy is not fit for purpose !!!

With a potential by-election looming at Rutherglen, ok maybe not until August, the SNP can expect a right royal shafting from Labour. The writing is on the wall, the tables are turning in Scotland. This saddens me (being pro-independence), but Yousaf's leadership of the SNP and his term as FM must be short lived.

Get him to f**k.

Soon.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Yousaf's first Cabinet is a massive own goal. Where's the talent ? By shutting out all of those who had backed Kate Forbes ( who won 48% of the leadership vote) he has managed to split the SNP beyond recovery. 

His debut as First Minister at FMQs today was cringeworthy. Utterly f**king hopeless. Nothing but pre-prepared, rehearsed answers unrelated to the questions he was asked by the opposition. Clearly incapable of offering a valid, pertinent response to probing questions. A Sturgeon puppet with no believable ideas of his own. Douglas Ross, a Grade 1 fud, beat him hands down.

Stating the bleeding obvious alert - this guy is not fit for purpose !!!

With a potential by-election looming at Rutherglen, ok maybe not until August, the SNP can expect a right royal shafting from Labour. The writing is on the wall, the tables are turning in Scotland. This saddens me (being pro-independence), but Yousaf's leadership of the SNP and his term as FM must be short lived.

Get him to f**k.

Soon.

The second he give Shona Robison a top job was the moment they lost me as a supporter.

As health secretary, she and Catherine Calderwood (Chief Med Officer at the time) lied and shafted all the women who were involved in the MESH campaign and set the campaign back years.

If anybody was ever to meet Jackson Carlaw (Tory) Alex Neil (ex SNP) or Neil Finlay (ex Labour) they would say the same as me. 

Horrible woman and i do detest her. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

The second he give Shona Robison a top job was the moment they lost me as a supporter.

As health secretary, she and Catherine Calderwood (Chief Med Officer at the time) lied and shafted all the women who were involved in the MESH campaign and set the campaign back years.

If anybody was ever to meet Jackson Carlaw (Tory) Alex Neil (ex SNP) or Neil Finlay (ex Labour) they would say the same as me. 

Horrible woman and i do detest her. 

My own experience of Robison is that she is an incompetent chancer who changes her mind and policies like the wind and totally lacks substance or credibility.

Oh. 

Thase are her strong points! 

Wouldn't trust her to run a raffle! 

Edited by BuddieinEK