New First Minister of Scotland

shull

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

OK. You win. Your insight into what matters to everyone else leaves me floundering.

Why all of a sudden you have became very concerned about a minority religion it's ways and beliefs, did it ever cross your mind that maybe all the people that follow that religion are more than happy with their ways

Muirfield Golf Club {crying and screaming} only recently let women become members of their club and only under the threat of losing out on the open championship

There's establishments in this country and in this town where if your from a different Christian background and a different School you won't be allowed to join said establishments. 

Equality your crying maybe we should get our own house in order first before we start criticising .

16 hours ago, Slarti said:

Christmas and Easter are not "Scottish traditions", they are "Christian traditions". Guy Fawkes - I've never seen the point of it. I don't drink whisky (or whiskey) - I do like bacon, though. What is "traditional" Scottish clothing?

Would you have an issue with a tee-total vegan atheist getting sworn in as FM while wearing jeans and a t-shirt?

As far as I'm concerned, he can wear what he wants and believe what he wants, as long as he doesn't try to force his religious beliefs on anyone else.

Tee total vegan atheist!!! Stop trying to trigger me 😅

6 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Why all of a sudden you have became very concerned about a minority religion it's ways and beliefs, did it ever cross your mind that maybe all the people that follow that religion are more than happy with their ways

Muirfield Golf Club {crying and screaming} only recently let women become members of their club and only under the threat of losing out on the open championship

There's establishments in this country and in this town where if your from a different Christian background and a different School you won't be allowed to join said establishments. 

Equality your crying maybe we should get our own house in order first before we start criticising .

And once again you try to tar all people with the same brush

I am NOT looking at their religion so much as the man who claims to believe in equality yet does not practice what he preaches, so to speak.

I am not, and never was, a member of the golf club or any of the unnamed establishments you allude to, nor do I agree with their philosophies.

I don't need to get "our house" in order.

IF I see anyone professing they believe in equality and then openly go against the philosophy then I reserve the right to call them out.

I don't need your approval to do so.

Edited by stlucifer

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I am NOT looking at their religion so much as the man who claims to believe in equality yet does not practice what he preaches, so to speak.

I am not, and never was, a member of the golf club or any of the unnamed establishments you allude to, nor do I agree with their philosophies.

IF I see anyone professing they believe in equality and then openly go against the philosophy then I reserve the right to call them out.

Indeed, it's hypocrisy I cannot stand. Kate Forbes was honest about her beliefs.

This is where it just becomes silly. What is traditional Scottish clothing? You've seriously never heard of a kilt?
https://www.britannica.com/topic/kilt
Yousaf was clearly publicly acknowledging his Pakistani heritage by wearing those clothes. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, per se. However, he had just been appointed First Minister for Scotland and therefore perhaps it would have been more fitting for him to publicly show his affinity and love of Scotland? I'm not sure why he has chosen to wear those clothes or have his photograph taken whilst praying, but it seems he wants the public to be aware that he is a Muslim of Pakistani heritage. Why then should people not comment on that?
Christmas and Easter are certainly not Scottish traditions, especially the former which protestants didn't even celebrate in a meaningful way, I believe. But certainly Easter has traditionally been celebrated in Scotland.

The kilt is a relatively newish thing, as far as traditions go - a plaid wrap would probably be "more traditional".

How old does a thing or practice have to be to be traditional? What percentage of the population have to regularly use the thing or observe the practice, and for how long, for it to be eligible to become traditional?

14 minutes ago, Slarti said:

The kilt is a relatively newish thing, as far as traditions go - a plaid wrap would probably be "more traditional".

How old does a thing or practice have to be to be traditional? What percentage of the population have to regularly use the thing or observe the practice, and for how long, for it to be eligible to become traditional?

I have no idea. Perhaps it could be considered a recent tradition, but it appears to date back at least 150 years, which is greater than living memory and I would suggest at least five generations back. Are you saying that the kilt is not traditional Scottish dress? I think if you were to poll the public, and ask them to describe men's traditional Scottish dress, the vast majority would respond, at least inter alia, with 'kilt'. 

If you were a quiz show contestant and that question was asked, how would you respond? 

Anyway, I have more important things to think about. If you have decided that it's not traditional, then I am happy to agree to disagree. :) 

On 3/31/2023 at 10:39 PM, antrin said:

A kilt was NEVER part of traditional clothing for me growing up in Scotland - apart from being stuck in a tiny one as pageboy at an Auntie’s wedding.  We seldom saw kilts in Paisley.

Up until the ‘45, in the Highlands, a wrap-around garment like a “kilt” was worn, just like the long gowns in Arab/Muslim countries.  They were not traditional in the Lowlands nor South of there.

Kilts and tartans were “fabricated” as traditional “Scotch” wear by Walter Scott who was put in charge of bigging  up the visit of the new heid royal in his day.  You can laugh and learn from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visit_of_George_IV_to_Scotland

No doubt about this, Sir Walter Scott is responsible for the chocolate box Scotland view that many tourists have.

The proper kilt was a wrap to keep you warm (and to sleep in).

No doubt about his talent but he definitely romanticised what would still have been a very tough existence for all except the elites.

15 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Looking forward to your appearance on Dragon's Den with your new Unisex Prayer Mats 

With 2 billion potential customers I'd suggest you start with £200,000 for 1% share of your company you could rebuild Stoddards..

You could get the new First Minister to open the factory  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

There is a great new game in town called “I don’t remember that?” You have to guess what our new FM can’t remember from less than a year ago. So far he can’t remember the auditor’s quitting or the SNP buying a luxury motor home. What next? Ferry contract?

6637DC03-C548-46EC-A3D8-1B3D6F0972A7.jpeg