New First Minister of Scotland

shull

A Scot once pointed out that the rank is but a Guinea stamp, the man’s the gowd , for aw that.

it seems some nationalists are unimpressed by Yousaf’s  rank and the man himself. 

His performances in various roles have been imperfect.  Maybe he’ll be a competent leader?   it took time for Sturgeon to prove she could be an impressive politician.  Surely he deserves the same leeway?

Christmas and Easter are certainly not Scottish traditions, especially the former which protestants didn't even celebrate in a meaningful way, I believe. But certainly Easter has traditionally been celebrated in Scotland.

Just checking, you're saying that those that are members of the Church of Scotland didn't celebrate the birth of christ. [emoji1787]

24 minutes ago, antrin said:

A kilt was NEVER part of traditional clothing for me growing up in Scotland - apart from being stuck in a tiny one as pageboy at an Auntie’s wedding.  We seldom saw kilts in Paisley.

Up until the ‘45, in the Highlands, a wrap-around garment like a “kilt” was worn, just like the long gowns in Arab/Muslim countries.  They were not traditional in the Lowlands nor South of there.

Kilts and tartans were “fabricated” as traditional “Scotch” wear by Walter Scott who was put in charge of bigging  up the visit of the new heid royal in his day.  You can laugh and learn from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visit_of_George_IV_to_Scotland

scottishsoldierworldwar1.jpg.b4c86578fa8beb68bfb29861f9dacb72.jpg

Above: John Warnock Clapperton, Private in 9th Battalion Royal Scots Regiment, later 12th Machine Gun Corps, 1915-1918 

woodengravingZuluWar.jpg.4d2f2f9fadc0dfefa359d9889a6bfec7.jpg

Above is a wood engraving of a Royal Scots Fusilier at a camp in South Africa, from 1879.

The kilt has been the national dress for a long time. 

The kilt, bagpipes, whiskey, haggis, Burns, shortbread, Irn Bru, first footing - these are all things that will come to mind when folk talk about Scottish culture. It doesn't mean that Scots typically wear kilts, eat haggis and shortbread, drink whiskey and read Burns. Whether or not you wore a kilt as a child does not determine whether the kilt is traditional Scottish attire, that's not how it works.

As for Yousaf, I don't like the man. Then again I wasn't a fan of Nicola Sturgeon, either. I'm not opposed to Scottish independence, but I am not a supporter of the SNP and will probably either spoil my ballot paper or vote for a smaller party (i.e. not Lib/Lab/Con/SNP/Green).

11 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Just checking, you're saying that those that are members of the Church of Scotland didn't celebrate the birth of christ. emoji1787.png

Aye.

Why Christmas was banned in Scotland

There’s plenty to do in Scotland in the winter, and many Scots love getting in the festive spirit. But did you know that Christmas was banned here for almost four centuries?

Before the Reformation in 1560, Christmas in Scotland had been a religious feasting day. Then, with the powerful Kirk frowning upon anything related to Roman Catholicism, the Scottish Parliament passed a law in 1640 that made celebrating ‘Yule vacations’ illegal. The baking of Yule bread was a criminal act! Even after Charles II was restored to the throne, celebrating Christmas was frowned upon in Scotland for a long time – it wasn’t until 1958 that 25 December became a Scottish public holiday. Which is why Hogmanay and New Year celebrations in Scotland became so important.

Christmas in Scotland today

As well as Christmas Day becoming a public holiday in 1958 in Scotland, both Boxing Day and New Year’s Day achieved public holiday status over a decade later in 1974.

Source: https://www.nts.org.uk/stories/scottish-christmas-traditions

6 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

So unlike hogmanay when we're getting pished disqualifies us as celebrating the birth of christ. emoji1787.png

I'm sorry, I don't understand what your point is. Christmas was an RC celebration:

Celebrating Christmas

Presbyterians have not always celebrated Christmas.
Separating themselves from the Roman Catholic Church practices, Protestant Reformation leaders were generally critical of the existing “feast and saint days” of the Catholic Church.

The celebration of Christmas became a point of contention among many Protestants. Reformation leader Martin Luther permitted the celebration of certain feast days, including Christmas. Other reformers, including John Calvin and John Knox, preferred to worship only where specifically commanded in the Bible.

Geneva, as one of the leading Protestant cities in the mid-1500s, had abolished all feast and saints’ days prior to Calvin’s arrival there. When Calvin was expelled temporarily from the city, the city council authorized some celebrations, while the Geneva Protestant ministers continued to oppose such festivals. After Calvin’s recall to the city, he wrote to Pastor John Halle in Berne on January 2, 1551, that he “pursued the moderate course of keeping Christ's birth-day as you are wont to do.”

With the Scottish Reformation, a clear stand against the observance of Christmas was taken by the Kirk (church) in 1560 and again in 1566.

More here: https://phcmontreat.org/Exhibit-Christmas.html

As per my previous post, Christmas didn't become a bank holiday in Scotland until 1958.

Edited by W6er

16 minutes ago, W6er said:

Above: John Warnock Clapperton, Private in 9th Battalion Royal Scots Regiment, later 12th Machine Gun Corps, 1915-1918 

Above is a wood engraving of a Royal Scots Fusilier at a camp in South Africa, from 1879.

The kilt, bagpipes, whiskey, haggis, Burns, shortbread, Irn Bru, first footing - these are all things that will come to mind when folk talk about Scottish culture. It doesn't mean that Scots typically wear kilts, eat haggis and shortbread, drink whiskey and read Burns. Whether or not you wore a kilt as a child does not determine whether the kilt is traditional Scottish attire, that's not how it works.

As for Yousaf, I don't like the man. Then again I wasn't a fan of Nicola Sturgeon, either. I'm not opposed to Scottish independence, but I am not a supporter of the SNP and will probably either spoil my ballot paper or vote for a smaller party (i.e. not Lib/Lab/Con/SNP/Green).

Using your “evidence”, then…

are Spats a traditional part of Scottish footwear?

or do you side with the Traditional Timberland boots?

image.jpeg.cdde1c86f40d4fb1f8a2d95a957a9dc1.jpeg

25 minutes ago, W6er said:

FFS our country produces Whisky. If you are going to celebrate traditional “Scottish” items then at least spell them correctly.

5 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

FFS our country produces Whisky. If you are going to celebrate traditional “Scottish” items then at least spell them correctly.

Touche.

Since when has Albania produced whisky, though? 😉 On a serious note, using my great powers of deduction, I'm presuming you are living in Albania or at least were. What took you over there? I wasn't sure whether you were actually an Albanian who, for whatever reason, had decided to support St Mirren, or a Scot living in Albania...unless there's some other reason for your name, of course. I hope you don't find that an intrusive question, but it's not a typical destination. 

Edited by W6er

34 minutes ago, W6er said:

Given your recent political “opinions” then maybe you could vote for the BNP.

2 minutes ago, W6er said:

Touche.

Since when has Albania produced whisky, though? 😉 On a serious note, using my great powers of deduction, I'm presuming you are living in Albania or at least were. What took you over there? I wasn't sure whether you were actually an Albanian who, for whatever reason, had decided to support St Mirren, or a Scot living in Albania...unless there's some other reason for your name, of course. I hope you don't find that an intrusive question, but it's not a typical destination. 

Nope. When I set up my alias on here my VPN was set to Albania. It should not matter one jot where people live in the world if they chose to support the greatest team in the world.

After all we are all Jack Tamson’s bairns. We're all the same – we're all equal.

I do wonder about your “great powers”. Certainly not your intellect.

22 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Nope. When I set up my alias on here my VPN was set to Albania. It should not matter one jot where people live in the world if they chose to support the greatest team in the world.

After all we are all Jack Tamson’s bairns. We're all the same – we're all equal.

Are you feeling okay? I was only asking, there really is no reason to be so obnoxious. I didn't suggest it did matter, either; on the contrary, if you were living in Albania that would have been interesting. If you were an Albanian Buddy, it would have been interesting to learn why you'd chosen to the Buddies.

I hope you have a great weekend. :) 

6 hours ago, stlucifer said:

WTF is the "bigots" nonsense? It is part of their religion not to have male and female in the same AREA for prayer. This is NOT inclusive. It is NOT a showing of equality. He either believes in equality or he doesn't. Perhaps it's a case of everyone is equal but some are more equal than others. AFAIC, He can't chase with the hounds and run with the foxes.

Geez peace who gives a shit other than you  

Who's JACK Tamson?

33 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I suppose it depends which poll you chose to believe . Here’s the latest poll commissioned by GB News of all people, who let’s face it - aren’t exactly Indy friendly !! 

B1DFE578-4768-4F07-B244-9656736174C3.jpeg

Is this not representative of UK politics rather than Holyrood voting intentions?

I’m never convinced by these polls anyway.

I am even less convinced by the shysters who get elected.