Squad 2023/24 Arrivals & Departures

Stephen Robinson has confirmed Dunne and Main are not signing new deals and are leaving for better offers.

Surprisingly he says the club told him he was getting a new deal but haven't put it in front of him yet would get a move on before he joins Dunne & Main out the exit door for a better offer. 7fff8d71a7f575cf5111fa12a680983c.jpg

Sent from my T610K using Tapatalk

Whether I’m bothered or not depends 100% on who replaces them. 
Also I’m not normally one for getting too down about players leaving. Years as a youth of losing guys like McGarvey, Stark, Weir, McDougall, McAvennie etc schooled me to that. Generally I accept that if people get a chance to better themselves then they should be free to do so. However, I’ll confess to being a little disappointed in Main. Thought he’d have shown a little more loyalty to a man who has completely transformed his fortunes on the park. 

Stephen Robinson has confirmed Dunne and Main are not signing new deals and are leaving for better offers.

Surprisingly he says the club told him he was getting a new deal but haven't put it in front of him yet would get a move on before he joins Dunne & Main out the exit door for a better offer.

Stephen Robinson has over a year left.

Both Dunne and Main have been good professionals not just on the pitch but around the club in a whole. If they do leave I wish them and their families all the best in the future unless of course they are in the opposition.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Years as a youth of losing guys like McGarvey, Stark, Weir, McDougall, McAvennie etc schooled me to that.

I’ll confess to being a little disappointed in Main. Thought he’d have shown a little more loyalty to a man who has completely transformed his fortunes on the park. 

Difference is we received significant transfer fees back in those days for all those players. 

Main is reaching his peak earning potential as he nears retirement. 

He will be looking after his family.

That’s where his loyalty lies. 

Much as I like the new and improved Main - how much of that was down to him seeking a better deal elsewhere?

It won’t be the first time that a player has had their head turned by an agent looking to maximise their clients value. 

At least our manager knows what the situation is now so we can plan accordingly. 

Main has never been a prolific scorer anywhere he has been. He has a young family and perhaps may be looking to do what Thommo did and move closer to relatives down south as he edges closer to retirement.

I would hate to see him turn up next season for one of our rivals but that won’t be unexpected. Curtis and his agent may well have sorted this a while ago. 

If stats from Soccerbase are to be believed then he has started 53 games with 16 sub appearances and scored a total of 11 goals. 

Here’s hoping he can go out on a high with Saints and score goals for fun in these last 5 games.

He was limping quite badly after the game on Saturday so hopefully this break will give him time to recover. 

I will miss his effort and contribution to the team this season. 

5 hat tricks to finish your time at SMFC please big man!

50 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Difference is we received significant transfer fees back in those days for all those players. 

Main is reaching his peak earning potential as he nears retirement. 

He will be looking after his family.

That’s where his loyalty lies. 

Much as I like the new and improved Main - how much of that was down to him seeking a better deal elsewhere?

It won’t be the first time that a player has had their head turned by an agent looking to maximise their clients value. 

At least our manager knows what the situation is now so we can plan accordingly. 

Main has never been a prolific scorer anywhere he has been. He has a young family and perhaps may be looking to do what Thommo did and move closer to relatives down south as he edges closer to retirement.

I would hate to see him turn up next season for one of our rivals but that won’t be unexpected. Curtis and his agent may well have sorted this a while ago. 

If stats from Soccerbase are to be believed then he has started 53 games with 16 sub appearances and scored a total of 11 goals. 

Here’s hoping he can go out on a high with Saints and score goals for fun in these last 5 games.

He was limping quite badly after the game on Saturday so hopefully this break will give him time to recover. 

I will miss his effort and contribution to the team this season. 

5 hat tricks to finish your time at SMFC please big man!

Have you taken your medication this morning  :rolleyes:

Quite happy (although surprised) about Dunne & Main going. Dunne is far too hot and cold, there is better out there for the wages we likely offered. I would go as far as say, we have dodged a bullet based on his last couple of months. Main, has been playing well but again I think we can get better. We are still chasing that striker that can get us a better goal return.  

At their ages, they have probably both just about peaked and are maybe chasing one last, decent paid gig. That's why I'm a bit surprised.

Regarding Dunne, I can't imagine there are clubs that can pay significantly more than us thinking he's a good option. Especially on recent form and at his age. Be lucky to get a two year contract somewhere on a bit more money. Robinson obviously rates him so I would have thought he'd see that as a better option. 

Regarding Main, he has chased the (slightly) higher pay option over his whole career and it has almost never worked out for him. He's playing good football and Robinson is getting the best out of them. He could be the St Mirren starting striker for the next 3,4 or even 5 seasons. That would surely be a more attractive future than likely tanking it yet again at a bigger club within a season. A future at St Mirren would open up possible coaching options and solidify him as a St Mirren favourite when he retires. 

Can't help but think it is poor agent advice and both these players will be playing way down leagues in a couple of seasons. 

99% of players who join St Mirren are transient. Players come and players go. Main has done well this season but won't be irreplaceable. Dunne is a wonderful player in his own imagination, but not so good in the real world. 

Robinson (and perhaps also O'Carroll) have been key to our improvement this season, so holding on to these guys will be fundamental to continuing our success. Also our scouting people have performed well and brought a few genuine belters to Paisley (ok, maybe Olusanya and Taylor have a bit to prove !!). Better players are out there and I'm confident our manager will find them.

More bothered about keeping Robinson and O’Carroll than Main and Dunne, although both are good players at our level. 
The turnaround in Main’s form under Robbo has been incredible. It’s easy to forget how poor he was last season, whether it was down to confidence, the system or injury. His work rate and all round play, not focussing solely on goals has been brilliant this season. His performance against Aberdeen away being the highlight so far. 
Dunne when he’s on it has been excellent too but he does lack consistency and liable to some daft mistakes. 
Big fan of Shaughnessy and Gallagher (when fit), but we will miss Dunne’s pace. Taylor’s bomb-scare 1st half against Utd away gave me the absolute fear but he actually came onto a game 2nd half so maybe he can be moulded into a decent player for us. 
I’d have been happy to get Main and Dunne signed up for next season but reckon they will move on to a bigger wage somewhere else.
If they can get it, good luck to them. 

Ayunga fit again next season can do the job Mains been doing and we can bring someone in to support him. 

Dunne would have been thinking he had a crack at Aberdeen, but I think that ones well gone. Can see him at Dundee Utd if Goodwin stays. 

We have a strong core staying which will help. 

In Dunne's case, I would have been surprised if we offered a deal that would have satisified him.  He has been very poor with only a few good games for us

Main, maybe he can get a bit more elsewhere.  He has been good in our style of football this year, where we don't have  a single decent striker on the books and need to rely on backs-to-the-goal tactics to hold things up and see if pressure and mistakes yield the odd opportunity.

A good striker getting decent delivery would have easily displaced Main from the first team.  Curtis is the kind of player you sign when you can't set up your attack with proven scorers or wingers/wing backs

The absence nobody seems to mention is Erhahon, we have yet to replace his passing ability in the middle and I think this showed in recent games

Edited by beyond our ken

I would happy to go with this......................................

It would be this least changes we have had in many a year.

GK

Carson

Urminsky

DEF

Fraser

Strain

Tanser

Gallagher

Shaughnessy

Tait

1 LB/CB Needed

MID

Baccus

Flynn

O’Hara

Gogic

Kiltie

1 MID needed

FWD

Ayunga

Grieve

Brophy

Offord

1 FWD needed

I definitely think we need a game changer and pace is also essential... I trust in Robbo and although no one ever gets 100% right in their transfer policy, his strike rate absolutely stands up to scrutiny .

I believe with Main, the gaffer was able to extract chicken salad from chicken shit ... Good luck to the big fella but we desperately need something else as an attacking option 

3 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

I would be happy with Ayunga, Grieve and Brophy next season. Using 2 of them with the other as sub/back-up

Grieve?  A tryer for sure but not a striker, I'm afraid.  Ayunga might have some game time to show promise but if he doesn't get any then he will be gone.

Brophy is injured again and will be lucky if he has more than 6 appearances per season in him from now on.  

3 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

I would happy to go with this......................................

It would be this least changes we have had in many a year.

GK

Carson

Urminsky

DEF

Fraser

Strain

Tanser

Gallagher

Shaughnessy

Tait

1 LB/CB Needed

MID

Baccus

Flynn

O’Hara

Gogic

Kiltie

1 MID needed

FWD

Ayunga

Grieve

Brophy

Offord

1 FWD needed

Where does service for strikers, even one striker, come from with that selection?

2 strikers need to come in and either 2 wing backs or one wing back and a winger with maybe a left-sided centre back

5 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

I would be happy with Ayunga, Grieve and Brophy next season. Using 2 of them with the other as sub/back-up

Ayunga will be returning from a very serious injury and subsequent operation - we simply don’t know how he will cope and if he will be the same player as previously.

Grieve seems a nice guy, works his socks off and can be a pest but is too lightweight. 

If Brophy stays , which is by no means certain - perhaps someone could show him where the goals are located at St.Mirren park !!

The young lads ? We simply haven’t seen enough of them to decide if we’ve unearthed a gem ready to step up to the plate .

23 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Ayunga will be returning from a very serious injury and subsequent operation - we simply don’t know how he will cope and if he will be the same player as previously.

Grieve seems a nice guy, works his socks off and can be a pest but is too lightweight. 

If Brophy stays , which is by no means certain - perhaps someone could show him where the goals are located at St.Mirren park !!

The young lads ? We simply haven’t seen enough of them to decide if we’ve unearthed a gem ready to step up to the plate .

We can only hope he isn't. If he could come back as a goal scorer that would be good.