Squad 2023/24 Arrivals & Departures

Just posted this in the Baccus thread:

St Mirren midfielder Keanu Baccus admits he is unsure what the future holds for him despite the 24-year-old Australia international having a year left of his contract. (The Herald)

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65744491

I see @CraigyBoy has already mentioned this, but I thought I would provide a source.

FWIW, I think Baccus would be a significant loss; but if we were to get good money from his departure, I would take it.

3 hours ago, Warrior Saint said:

Baccus would not be a loss in anyway...

I will have some of what you are smoking.

He would go with Saints fans thanks if the right offer comes along as we are and will forever be a selling club and I would rather he than Strain left as I think Strains position would be harder to fill

41 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Strains been good this season at times when Baccus flies into the tackle your waiting for a booking , good player but can a times be a tad reckless.

Yeah, that's a very fair analysis, Linwood Buddie.  I thought he was unlucky in a home match, when I saw the highlights later on I fully understood why the Referee had booked him.

3 minutes ago, Warrior Saint said:

What does Baccus offer apart from yellow cards? Not a lot.

The SMiSA stadium is in Paisley, not far from Glasgow, Scotland. Have you ever been there when a St Mirren fixture has taken place. If you ever do come along you might actually realise what Keanu Baccus does for us. He is usually excellent. 

Or are you just an ignorant twat ?

4 minutes ago, Warrior Saint said:

U clearly have never been ya wee fud, usually excellent 🤣🤣🤣🤣jog on wee man..

Firstly, I'm not wee.

And apologies for calling you "ignorant". I actually meant "attention seeking". You won't be receiving anymore attention from me you moron. On "Ignore".

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Firstly, I'm not wee.

And apologies for calling you "ignorant". I actually meant "attention seeking". You won't be receiving anymore attention from me you moron. On "Ignore".

It's close season, you know the warm weather increases the need for the shock jocks, drivel level rises and the forum goes to fcuk. 

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The SMiSA stadium is in Paisley, not far from Glasgow, Scotland. Have you ever been there when a St Mirren fixture has taken place. If you ever do come along you might actually realise what Keanu Baccus does for us. He is usually excellent. 

Or are you just an ignorant twat ?

You could have saved yourself so much time by simply posting the last 6 words. - job done 🤷‍♂️

Of the three players that we are realistically likely to pull a transfer fee for in the summer (Baccus, Strain  O'Hara), I'd be most accepting of losing Keanu of the three.

Strain and O'Hara are absolutely pivotal to the way we play. Baccus has had a very, very good season but I feel he'd be more replaceable than the other two. 

I've got a feeling there will be a worrying amount of interest in Strain though.

Baccus has been great for us - IMO , he hasn’t hit the heights for us since the World Cup but still a very valuable player for us and a great asset and potential earner for us. 

Strain started well, couple o hiccups but has improved immensely over the season . If Australia have a better RB than him at the moment , I’ll eat my hat . ( ps , I dont have an edible hat )

8 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Baccus has been great for us - IMO , he hasn’t hit the heights for us since the World Cup but still a very valuable player for us and a great asset and potential earner for us. 

Strain started well, couple o hiccups but has improved immensely over the season . If Australia have a better RB than him at the moment , I’ll eat my hat . ( ps , I dont have an edible hat )

That's been almost 6 months mate, a big part of the season. 

I actually thought he looked back to his best, which can be good, in parts on Saturday but he rarely seems to sustain a decent level for the whole game. 

Found this for you.................

Edible Party Hat

Baccus in the first half of the season was a stand out. The ground he covered, balls he won and his use of the ball was brilliant. He also looked exciting going forward.
There was chat that he got an injury at the WC but his form dipped when he came back, but still did a great job for us. Still a surreal experience watching a Saints player mixing it with Messi at a WC. With a rest and good preseason he’ll be back to his best, but won’t be surprised if he ends up in the English Championship, but it needs to be for a decent wedge for a change. 
O’Hara has been phenomenal for us and I’d be gutted if he left. 
Strain is probably the most naturally gifted player at the club and love his attitude. Again, would be sad to see him go but if a serious bid approaching Ian Ferguson record money came in for him you’d need to wish him all the best and pocket the cash. 
Not sure about Watt. Was he not quoted earlier in the season saying that he loved it at Saints but would see wages as a stumbling block moving here?? Talented player but not 100% sold on him. A fit Watt under Robinson could be a tasty prospect but I remember how excited I was when we signed Brophy. 
Trust Robbo to come up with some more gems. Our gaffer penning an extension would be our most important signing. 

I'm thinking Shaunessy and Dunne will be top of Jim Goodwins shopping list and will end up at Tannadice  ,  Tony Watt will probably join them . 

Think Baccus and Strain  will have had a lot of teams showing interest and Saints will sell both . Ideally I would like them to sign new contracts, but I can't see that happening.  Can see us bringing over another couple of Australian players if these guys move on . 

Hoping there's truth in the rumours of the three players coming to us  ( Bowie , Saud, Bedenau ) all are of a good age and will have potential to improve. 

Looking forward to seeing who Martin Foyle recommends . Would like us to go with a slightly bigger squad this year .

Pleased that we will have a decent group of players in place at the start of the season to give us a decent League Cup campaign. 

17 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I'm thinking Shaunessy and Dunne will be top of Jim Goodwins shopping list and will end up at Tannadice  ,  Tony Watt will probably join them . 

Think Baccus and Strain  will have had a lot of teams showing interest and Saints will sell both . Ideally I would like them to sign new contracts, but I can't see that happening.  Can see us bringing over another couple of Australian players if these guys move on . 

Hoping there's truth in the rumours of the three players coming to us  ( Bowie , Saud, Bedenau ) all are of a good age and will have potential to improve. 

Looking forward to seeing who Martin Foyle recommends . Would like us to go with a slightly bigger squad this year .

Pleased that we will have a decent group of players in place at the start of the season to give us a decent League Cup campaign. 

The squad looked just about big enough last year, but it became evident that there was no resilience to injury and suspensions so with hindsight we were 3 x 1st picks short of a side last year.  I am thinking that the new contracts for Flynn and Shaughnessy are as much to get fees for them if they end up moving.  

It is all very well signing "improvers", as long as there is time to rebuild their games,  a gamble we probably have to take but not one I am happy with.

As for Watt, he was a Utd player on loan to us and is he not contracted to them anyway?  Even so, if he can't get his fitness sorted with a full close season then I am afraid it is downhill for him from here on in.

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

I am thinking that the new contracts for Flynn and Shaughnessy are as much to get fees for them if they end up moving.  

Offering a contract to get a fee is only for young players (possibly under 21) where you are due a development fee if they move on and you have made an offer on at least as good terms as they had.   
Contact offers to Flynn and Shaughnessy are because we see it being worthwhile having them next season.