Explosive Smisa application

The applications to join the Smisa board are on the website. I've attached Alan Wardrop's below (in blue) and it's dynamite. 

There are two key messages as I see it:

1. The lack of transparency and openness by Kibble board representatives.
  2. A lack of trust and confidence in their conduct, actions and motivations

It seems that he feels the actions of Kibble directors on the St Mirren FC board conflict with the guiding principles of fan ownership which is to manage St Mirren FC transparently and openly with the fans and SMISA members in the best interests of the club. This is no secret, of course, as he revealed his concern about the alleged conflict of interest at the club AGM. Nevertheless, it is a damning condemnation, bearing in mind his statement alleging that "the application named St. Mirren FC Charitable Foundation as a partner when the charity had no knowledge of it". Wow! Here it is:

ALAN WARDOP

Why I want to be on the board

To protect the best interests of the fans and owners of St. Mirren FC, SMISA members, and to restore trust and confidence in the board.

I’m concerned about transparency and any conflicts of interests undermining the fundamental principles of fan ownership and management.
I’m a lifelong supporter and want to use my experience, insight and knowledge of the club to ensure transparency and engagement with fans and to better protect the club’s future.

Professional Skills and Experience

As a former director of the club for six years and a trustee of The St Mirren FC Charitable Foundation, I understand the management from both a boardroom and day to day operational perspective.

I was Chairman of the St. Mirren Fans Council and pivotal in the creation of the SMFC 1877 Supporters Club in 2016. To this day, I remain the club host and membership manager.

As a trustee of St. Mirren’s charity since its formation, I have contributed financially and with my guidance and time – being in the fortunate position to give something back to the club and community after selling my £2.5 million turnover local business.

Why Members should vote for me

Each St. Mirren director has a clear fiduciary duty under the Companies Act 2006 to declare any potential conflict of interest and act with openness and transparency and in the best interests of the company ie St. Mirren Football Club Limited.

Kibble club board representatives, Jim Gillespie and Mark Macmillan, failed to disclose to the St Mirren board, shareholders and fans Kibble supported plans to build on St Mirren owned land.

Together with Renfrewshire Council they applied to the Scottish Government for a £2.65 million grant under the name The St. Mirren Wellbeing and Regeneration Masterplan. It was not disclosed to other SMISA club board directors and no prior agreement was secured.

In addition, the application named St. Mirren FC Charitable Foundation as a partner when the charity had no knowledge of it and had not granted permission to submit it on their behalf. It only came to light when the Government announced that the application had progressed to a stage 2 application.

Both Kibble employees did not declare their plans to build on St. Mirren owned land to St Mirren SMISA board members but denied any conflict of interest.

Having discovered the issue under Freedom of Information, I raised it at the club’s AGM. I, like many others, no longer have trust and confidence in Kibble’s directors serving on the board of St. Mirren FC and I put my SMISA board application forward on the basis I wish to remove them.

As a born and bred Buddy, from the high flats at Stock Street, Paisley, I have supported St. Mirren since a child in the mid 70’s when Sir Alex Ferguson’s, Fergie’s Furies got me hooked. I simply want to serve in the club’s and fans’ best interests and protect and build a successful future for our wonderful club

Here is Alex Dillon's statement. Alex impresses me every time I hear him address a Smisa/club meeting. In my opinion, we need to have people of his calibre onto the Smisa board on a full time basis.

p.s. Sorry about the font but I can't seem to change the black background

Alex Dillon

Having supported St Mirren fan for nearly 40 years it would be an honour to be elected onto the SMISA board.

I have been a season ticket holder for over 35 years and attend the games with my father in law, brother in law and my 2 children.

St Mirren runs deep in our family. It is more than just a football club........it is a way of life.

That passion is what led me to join SMISA many years ago and, with fan ownership delivered, to seek opportunity to support the club further by serving it, whilst still involved in supporting the Charity Foundation and commercial department presently.

I remember the days of Reg Brealey and the genuine concern that our club may disappear, i want to ensure along with the rest of the SMISA board supporters of today never have that feeling.

Majority fan ownership of St Mirren will guarantee the future of our club and I want to be part of a board and organisation that ensures St Mirren is here for generations to come.

In my current employment as role of General Manager running a business with a multi million turn over I am responsible for over 150 employees and their wellbeing.

The huge experiences i have gained in Retail Leadership i believe will allow me to make extremely effective contributions not only to the SMISA board, but beyond.

I have extensive experience of delivering excellent Customer metrics, Leadership, Networking, Budget Controls, Colleague Engagement and achievement of many other performance measures.

Utilising all of these skills, and more, i know i can add value in the role of a Board member with SMISA and in our essential working relationship with SMFC club board.

I fully support the ideology that our club, St Mirren should be "Fan OWNED but NOT fan run". I also firmly believe that my job as a SMISA board member is to represent the views of you, the SMISA members, and ensure that by collaborating with the St Mirren board we deliver a successful St Mirren ON and OFF the park.

I also believe the CURRENT SMISA board must continue to be more adept at communicating with our membership, continue increasing the transparency of the SMISA board and ensure our constructive influence and cooperation is recognised in the governance and management of the club when required, as per our constitution.

My Vision for SMISA would be to increase our membership by 50% within 3 years and I have many ideas on how we can bring this to fruition.

This would give more supporters a say in running our club, safeguard our club further from unscrupulous owners like we see in England and also generate even more money back to the club via SMISA for investment.

If fortunate to be selected I'd make sure ordinary members views are represented and St.Mirren supporters traditional values are maintained ensuring our collective voices are heard at St.Mirren FC board level both now and in the future.

COYS

Alex

I don't propose to print the remaining applications (Sorry Jack, John and Stuart) but, as in Alex's, I can't change the font/background and that makes it difficult to read so, if you want to read more, here's the link: https://www.smisa.net/election

In my opinion, these three applicants are good guys too.

Edited by doakie

19 minutes ago, alwaystrue said:

Thanks Doakie, very helpful.  I think 4 of the 5 have came across well and I am leaning towards John and Stuart.

While my preferred choices are different to yours, I think it's important and healthy to 1, have the debate and 2, to actually vote. Personally, unlike the other three candidates, I can't claim to know Stuart and Jack very well but I've been impressed with them when I've been in their company.  I feel that there are two outstanding candidates, one of whom is running on a single issue ticket and, for those of us who do not believe that Kibble have made a positive impact in the boardroom, the importance of that single issue cannot be underestimated.  For me, When Alan Wardop says that "I no longer have trust and confidence in Kibble’s directors serving on the board of St. Mirren" then we need to pay attention to him.. He is St.Mirren through and through. Gillespie and McMillan are not.

Of course, the Kibble controversy has died down because Stephen Robinson has performed miraculously but on field success does not hide the fact that, until we drew Celtic in the cup, sold two players and got Dome insurance money, we were in a perilous financial state off field.

That does not sit well with me, in spite of it being an amazing season. On field and off field are two separate issues.

Edited by doakie

I agree with your opening sentiments @doakie the importance of having a respectful debate is key to the process at all levels both the candidates and voters. The other key thing as you say is to vote, if eligible to vote engage in the process, be a contributor, ask the difficult questions respectfully, listen to answers. Personally I feel AW has had his time and I am looking for new ideas and initiatives. John is a guy I think can bring alot and I like what I have seen from Stuart so far.  Two things struck me with the AW blurb, he uses the phrase St Mirren SMiSA Director's a couple of times when detailing that they didn't know, does that mean the other St Mirren directors did know as its strange to make that differentiation. And the 2nd is a very personal point about discussing your personal wealth from selling your company, it just seems a bit, look at me, but then it's an election so probably fair game, just not for me.

2 minutes ago, alwaystrue said:

I agree with your opening sentiments @doakie the importance of having a respectful debate is key to the process at all levels both the candidates and voters. The other key thing as you say is to vote, if eligible to vote engage in the process, be a contributor, ask the difficult questions respectfully, listen to answers. Personally I feel AW has had his time and I am looking for new ideas and initiatives. John is a guy I think can bring alot and I like what I have seen from Stuart so far.  Two things struck me with the AW blurb, he uses the phrase St Mirren SMiSA Director's a couple of times when detailing that they didn't know, does that mean the other St Mirren directors did know as its strange to make that differentiation. And the 2nd is a very personal point about discussing your personal wealth from selling your company, it just seems a bit, look at me, but then it's an election so probably fair game, just not for me.

I hear you and I must admit that I'm not a fan on voting based on these mission statements. I don't know the answer but maybe a kind of hustings where each candidate can answer questions from the floor/ the members might be a way forward.  It's pretty clear why I'm voting for Alex and Alan but, as I said, that’s because I’m intrigued by this statement regarding Gillespie and McMillan.

By the way, every director is a St.Mirren Smisa director (apart from the Kibble guys) as they are all on the club board only because Smisa selected them. The clear implication is that Alan, John Needham, Gordon Scott, and whichever Smisa director(s) were in position at that time, were kept in the dark. If McMillan did indeed make an application with St. Mirren FC Charitable Foundation as a partner when the charity had no knowledge of it, then that is a very serious accusation to make. That they failed to disclose to the St Mirren board, shareholders and fans Kibble supported plans to build on St Mirren owned land is equally contentious

We need the truth and I look forward to the AGM with great interest.

Good talking to you

I feel I must vote for Alan Wardrop who has already proved himself to put St Mirren first.

This of the utmost importance for the following reasons.

This situation must be properly investigated (the chairman categorically assured a number of questioners at the club AGM that this application was NOT on St Mirren’s land, but on ‘adjacent’ land, which is in itself a possible issue depending on how this all pans out) and the application details and plans provided for SMISA members to see. If the accusation is without foundation then the matter ends.

However, If this does turn out to be an attempt to take club property for Kibble’s use and profit without the knowledge of the directors or the SM Charitable foundation, then it amounts to St Mirren directors putting their own organisation first instead of the club’s interests (a clear violation of their duty in law to the club and its shareholders) by attempting to take a club asset from the people that own it without their knowledge. Those people are the St Mirren shareholders, both independents and SMISA collectively.

If so this can only be a fraudulent application to achieve Government funding by using St Mirren’s good name.

If my memory is correct Mr Gillespie did tell shareholders at the AGM when he took the mic that it didn’t matter because the application did not get beyond the second stage. A strange thing to say as it’s not the outcome but the intention that really matters. To protect the club I’ll be voting for Alan Wardrop.

5 minutes ago, animal said:

I feel I must vote for Alan Wardrop who has already proved himself to put St Mirren first.

This situation must be properly investigated (the chairman categorically assured a number of questioners at the club AGM that this application was NOT on St Mirren’s land, but on ‘adjacent’ land, which is in itself a possible issue depending on how this all pans out) and the application details and plans provided for SMISA members to see. If the accusation is without foundation then the matter ends.

However, If this does turn out to be an attempt to take club property for Kibble’s use and profit without the knowledge of the directors or the SM Charitable foundation, then it amounts to St Mirren directors putting their own organisation first instead of the club’s interests (a clear violation of their duty in law to the club and its shareholders) by attempting to take a club asset from the people that own it without their knowledge. Those people are the St Mirren shareholders, both independents and SMISA collectively.

If so this can only be a fraudulent application to achieve Government funding by using St Mirren’s good name.

If my memory is correct Mr Gillespie did tell shareholders at the AGM when he took the mic that it didn’t matter because the application did not get beyond the second stage. A strange thing to say as it’s not the outcome but the intention that really matters. To protect the club I’ll be voting for Alan Wardrop.

You're 100% right. The fact that it was apparently denied, if that is indeed the case, is completely irrelevant. 

8 minutes ago, doakie said:

I hear you and I must admit that I'm not a fan on voting based on these mission statements. I don't know the answer but maybe a kind of hustings where each candidate can answer questions from the floor/ the members might be a way forward.  It's pretty clear why I'm voting for Alex and Alan but, as I said, that’s because I’m intrigued by this statement regarding Gillespie and McMillan.

By the way, every director is a St.Mirren Smisa director (apart from the Kibble guys) as they are all on the club board only because Smisa selected them. The clear implication is that Alan, John Needham, Gordon Scott, and whichever Smisa director(s) were in position at that time, were kept in the dark. If McMillan did indeed make an application with St. Mirren FC Charitable Foundation as a partner when the charity had no knowledge of it, then that is a very serious accusation to make. That they failed to disclose to the St Mirren board, shareholders and fans Kibble supported plans to build on St Mirren owned land is equally contentious

We need the truth and I look forward to the AGM with great interest.

Good talking to you

Thanks @doakie. The other important thing is to get behind whoever is elected. Seems there have been enough changes in SMiSA board recently, time to move forward together. 

I do like the idea of hustings, but not if it becomes a popularity contest. I was not aware all directors apart from the two amigos were SMiSA appointed. Makes sense but I hadnt thought about it.

I’m not sure removing the current Kibble representatives from the board achieves anything as the terms of the deal mean that they can have a certain ratio of Kibble appointed of their choice. 

I doubt that Kibble will let their share in our club go without a fight as they got a slice of something so valuable so cheap. 

Don’t trust them. Never wanted them near our club.

Unfortunately I believe we are stuck with them.

11 minutes ago, animal said:

Excellent points and 1 thing that strikes me is why is hasn't been investigated yet, or if it has why have the findings not been released. 

7 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

I’m not sure removing the current Kibble representatives from the board achieves anything as the terms of the deal mean that they can have a certain ratio of Kibble appointed of their choice. 

I doubt that Kibble will let their share in our club go without a fight as they got a slice of something so valuable so cheap. 

I think you are right in everything you said above. I don't know if it is possible to move the two amigos out unless they volunteer to go and as 1 of them is the vice chair, I don't see that happening. As the amigos run kibble, even if other kibble employees were put into replace them, they would still be doing the amigos work for them.

53 minutes ago, animal said:

This could have serious repercussions for the club and the relationship between kibble and the board. 
Trust is vital. If kibble did this then they have no regard for our club or the concept of fan ownership.
If it’s necessary to delay the SMiSA AGM to get to the bottom of this then so be it. 

I too will vote for Alan Wardrop. Our team must come first. We’ve all seen the damage elsewhere when outside interests have damaged teams, some in England eventually going bust. Remember the promises of better financial management from Kibble? What we got was record losses. The good form on the park must not be a smokescreen. 

31 minutes ago, glen said:

This could have serious repercussions for the club and the relationship between kibble and the board. 
Trust is vital. If kibble did this then they have no regard for our club or the concept of fan ownership.
If it’s necessary to delay the SMiSA AGM to get to the bottom of this then so be it. 

I’m not sure why a delay to the SMISA AGM would need to happen?

I would be keen to see what records or applications are available for public viewing as these are serious allegations. Otherwise it’s difficult to understand exactly what is going on. 

Hope someone can present documentation to back these claims up.

3 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Totally amazes me how many people have said they didn't want them on board { everyone I knew in smisa voted against it } yet they were voted on with over 90% share of the vote 

I'll wait till Bazil Kibble has his say on this before I make my mind up, He's probably getting debriefed as I type 

5 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Totally amazes me how many people have said they didn't want them on board { everyone I knew in smisa voted against it } yet they were voted on with over 90% share of the vote 

I'll wait till Bazil Kibble has his say on this before I make my mind up, He's probably getting debriefed as I type 

I am still perplexed why SMISA got involved with them. 

But then the more you look it’s “understandable” why they were brought into the nest by certain individuals.

The PR machine was always producing material in the press that this deal delivered fan ownership in “half the time”. 

However the Buy-The-Buds project was well ahead of schedule in terms of the money being accumulated to pay back Gordon Scott due to the number of members exceeding the original “break even threshold”. 

It was a three way agreement that seemed to benefit only two parties.

These must  be considered to be very serious allegations and I would imagine could lead to further legal action or even potentially referred onto other parties for full investigation. This would appear to indicate that application for financial funding was put forward in someone else's name without their knowledge or approval. Not being a legal person I would hazard a guess that such an action could be illegal. Re the point of Kibble employees above. As Alan states these are kibble employees. Unless I am mistaken, Kibble will no doubt have a board which will have appointed at least 1 of these employees into their role within Kibble. 

10 hours ago, glen said:

I too will vote for Alan Wardrop. Our team must come first. We’ve all seen the damage elsewhere when outside interests have damaged teams, some in England eventually going bust. Remember the promises of better financial management from Kibble? What we got was record losses. The good form on the park must not be a smokescreen. 

Wasn't Alan Wardrop pushed out previously for not being seen as fit to be a director? 

Edited by faraway saint

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Wasn't Alan Wardrop pushed out previously for not being seen as fit to be a director? 

Smisa is a lot of shite mate, I cancelled the membership a while back when It became evident it’s a nothing more than a jobs for the boys, Wardrop is a hot air balloon as well.