Season 2022-2023 highlights/lowlights

Highlight was top six , it's been a long time coming and it let's us breathe easily in the run-in and plan for next season. Europe , for me , would have been a step too far too soon , we need to concentrate on consolidating next season and an early , fruitless European campaign would have stretched the squad unnecessarily. 

3 minutes ago, billyg said:

Highlight was top six , it's been a long time coming and it let's us breathe easily in the run-in and plan for next season. Europe , for me , would have been a step too far too soon , we need to concentrate on consolidating next season and an early , fruitless European campaign would have stretched the squad unnecessarily. 

Pretty much my view as well. :wink:

27 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Europe would, apart from being a jolly, probably be a financial loss for the club.

We're nowhere near that yet, small steps.

Consolidate our position next season, strengthen the side, keep the manager (critical) and get used to being amongst the big boys rather than the annual shitfest at the bottom of the league. 

Top 6, some great results with Celtic at home probably the pick, and good crowds backing us in Paisley are the highlights for me.

No point at looking at the downside right now. I'm sure we'll learn from the experiences. 

1 minute ago, munoz said:

Top 6, some great results with Celtic at home probably the pick, and good crowds backing us in Paisley are the highlights for me.

No point at looking at the downside right now. I'm sure we'll learn from the experiences. 

Off the top of my head, aye, the comfortable 2-0 win against Celtic was a superb result.

Not a "jammy" 1-0, similar to the 3-2 win against Rangers.

The victory up in Aberdeen, another great all round performance and result, 1-3, not often we do that.

The 1-1 against Rangers, (a tough call as the recent 2-2 against Celtic could be seen a a better result) the better team, a wee bit unfortunate not to get the 3 points.

The lowlights, I'll get back to them at another date. 

Highlights,

Top 6 and flirting with qualifying for Europe. 

Robinson's turnaround  from a disastrous pre-season that would have embarrassed Alan Stubbs.

Whoever scouted Ryan Strain and Keanu Baccus.

Lowlights,

Pre-season and League Cup performances. 

Umpteen winnable league games tossed away because of (mainly needless) red cards. Are you paying attention Charles Dunne, Thierry Small ??? 

Ayunga's season-ending injury just as he was starting to make a serious impact.

12 hours ago, billyg said:

My thoughts entirely, there are some who would say this squad will be contending for a better finish next season with only a few tweaks without considering the impact this season of at least one player who is moving on and the fact that we seriously ran out of steam despite the extra world-cup break, the squad needs to be bigger in quality, physically and in numbers .  The icing on the cake for me this season would have been a deeper run in the league cup. 

If the coaches & scouts are doing their job better right now than they did last season (too many bad gambles in last year's crop) then we will have some better players in key positions who are also in their prime and signed up on 2 year contracts before the middle of next month (3 weeks away), that is what will deliver a better top 6 finish and a Euro place that we can credibly compete in, at least in the early stages.

I would love us to steal Armstrong away from Killie, even though it would cost a few bob.  He is very strong, competitive and quite skilfull.  No point in signing better strikers if the service is not vastly improved.

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Highlights,

Robinson's turnaround  from a disastrous pre-season that would have embarrassed Alan Stubbs.

Lowlights,

Umpteen winnable league games tossed away because of (mainly needless) red cards. Are you paying attention Charles Dunne, Thierry Small ??? 

To think we were talking about the propect of getting very good money for Dunne last year! I don't know if he was pissed off that he didn't get to go to Aberdeen but he was a drag on us for much of the season.

58 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

My thoughts entirely, there are some who would say this squad will be contending for a better finish next season with only a few tweaks without considering the impact this season of at least one player who is moving on and the fact that we seriously ran out of steam despite the extra world-cup break, the squad needs to be bigger in quality, physically and in numbers .  The icing on the cake for me this season would have been a deeper run in the league cup. 

If the coaches & scouts are doing their job better right now than they did last season (too many bad gambles in last year's crop) then we will have some better players in key positions who are also in their prime and signed up on 2 year contracts before the middle of next month (3 weeks away), that is what will deliver a better top 6 finish and a Euro place that we can credibly compete in, at least in the early stages.

I would love us to steal Armstrong away from Killie, even though it would cost a few bob.  He is very strong, competitive and quite skilfull.  No point in signing better strikers if the service is not vastly improved.

Who exactly are these bad gambles you refer to?

14 hours ago, munoz said:

I’d agree with that. Top 6 has been gained, Euro qualification should be the priority as well as at least one good cup round.

Great season to be a Saints fan, for me the biggest + has been that for the last few years we have visibly improved each year, if we can keep it up then crowds will continue to increase and it will be once again fun to watch and be a saints fan after lets face it many many hard years.

6 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

The only bad gamble was Olusanya

18 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Small & Watt

Jury is still out on Taylor

Not sure I’d agree with Watt. He’s obviously a half decent player and he was lacking a bit in fitness. He did a job. Our hand was forced with the Ayunga injury and Brophy loan.

Olusanya is obviously hopeless though, he really was a bad gamble.

Small, I think there is a player there. His 2 sending offs were obviously reckless though. Again, our hand was forced with the Tait injury. Personally I’d have used Flynn on the left when Tanser wasn’t available 

Yes, jury still out on Taylor. At the very least I reckon he’ll be a decent squad player.

Carson, Strain, Gallagher, Baccus, O’Hara, Gogic and Ayunga have all proved to be decent IMO.

I think that’s a good success rate, not every singing is going to be a complete success, you just need to hope you get most right. 

On 5/24/2023 at 10:42 PM, Wilbur said:

Highlights,

Lowlights,

Probably sums it up for me. A great season to follow the Saints home and away - obviously better at home!

• 4 weeks later...